Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best acoustic guitar?

Working Mans Blue

I've always loved the sound of gibsons because I learned to play on an old 1951 lg2 that was my great uncle's. It's been my only acoustic for the 7 years that I've been playing. But recently I've wanted an acoustic that's louder, with a pickup, and one that I wouldn't be scared to take out.

The j45 has been my dream guitar for awhile, I always play them in guitar shops when I see them. And I love that sound every time. So I took the chance and ordered one that happened to have the mods that I like.

Tuners changed to klusons, pickup changed to k&k western mini, and a strap pin added. I added dyed bone bridge pins

At first when I got it I was stunned by it's beauty but the sound was kind of dead. I was a little worried but I tried a set of curt mangans that I normally use and it sounded a lot better. Then the next day I put on a set of john pearse pb lights and there was the sound I was looking for! It's a perfect match for my lg2. The lg2 is a lot better for picking and flat picking as well, but for strumming songs the j45 is a cannon and responds well to being played hard. The lg2 has a few years on the j45 though so It does have the advantage but I think it will age nicely. It's a 2013, previous owner says it was rarely played

Anyway there's my introduction and all the boring stuff.

Here's what you really came here to see

The pictures

image-95.jpg

image-97.jpg

Two beauties. Can't decide bwtween the beat up looks of the old one or the pristineness of the new.

J45's are the coolest guitars .welcome to the club :)

Now let's hear them !

I've been wanting to do a back to back sound demo comparison so I could hear the difference from the other side of the sound holes.

So hopefully I can find some time to set my mics up and do that. Maybe tonight when the kid is asleep. If I do I'll be sure to post it here.

I gotta say the lg2 certainly is more comfortable for me, but I've been playing that guitar for quite a while so I'm sure I'm just more used to it. It has a pretty fat neck that's really comfortable and of course a smaller body. The j45 still needs a good pro setup as well

Welcome.

Congrats on your new J-45.

That's quite a pair you've got their. A solid start and a very nice Gibson collection.

Now . . . . what's next on the list? . B)

Haha well I need something with rosewood now don't i? But that won't be for a long time, these two are more than I need already:)

Contrats Blue!!!!!! A couple of winners there. The more you play the 45 the more you are gonna like it. Different guitars like different strings so keep experimenting. Just had K&K minis put in my J50 and they really get the job done. Welcome to the forum and good pickin' to ya! Thanks for the pix ... a requirement here on NGD.

Looks good without the stock guard imo.

Get a nice new one and place it around the rosette.

I might, but I really like how it looks naked for now. Was suprised how easily it came off. Just took it really really slow. If I see a guard I really want I'll jump on it. Or if i start seeing scratches where the guard should go.

Now if could only move the neck a little bit forward, and let the whole rosette be free! I smell a neck reset? Haha jk

Wow....those two, together, make me happy.

Yes a guitar that was a case queen needs a hundred hours of rough play(don't pick the sitka top though). It will sound great after it gets used to you and the wood moves and does its transformation.

BTW: I am getting my second J45 next Monday. Been without one for a year and my fellow songwriter students have wondered about my tone ever since.

Love that Gibson tone. Have fun making good music.

Yes a guitar that was a case queen needs a hundred hours of rough play(don't pick the sitka top though). It will sound great after it gets used to you and the wood moves and does its transformation.

Well put , and true , I believe

BTW: I am getting my second J45 next Monday. Been without one for a year and my fellow songwriter students have wondered about my tone ever since.

Dont forget pics for us!

Yep it sure sounds good now so I'll be looking forward to it settling in.

I've switched from the pearse pb lights to pearse 80/20 lights and now I prefer these. Just trying to find the right set of strings before I get it setup. I think these are it, but ever set I try has been better than the one before so idk...

I really like the look of those 50's style pickguards. I hear some say they adversely affect the sound.(movement of the top) My next guitar is going to be a Southern Jumbo. I am more fond of them with the big pickguards. I feel the same way about J-45's. I'm not real fond of the "no pickguard" look. You have two really nice guitars, congratulations!

Archived