Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Deluxe machines problem

Fairgrounds_Luke

Hey guys, first off I'm brand new to this so i could use a little help. I have a 2011 LP 60s Tribute and it has gibson deluxe machines on it, but I'm having a problem with the G string tuner in particular, right when i get it to the spot where it's in tune it makes sort of a popping sound and comes out of tune until I fix it. How do I fix this? Or should I replace all of the Machines

Hello and welcome here, mate.

If I got it right, the axle jumps one tooth back on the worm gear? This would mean that at least one of these parts has gone bad.

Retailers usually sell complete sets of machine heads but luthier workshops will also replace a single one if required. At least I know the service departments of bigger retailers have them in stock as single items. Perhaps they will supply one on special request as I know e. g. of Thomann.

Hope this helps.

Sounds more like the "ping" or popping sound, when a string catches in the nut!

Stock Gibson (Corian) nuts, are notorious, for this. That's just One reason I've

always replaced them, with a "bone" nut. As mentioned, you might just need to file

(width, not depth) out the nut slot a bit more, and use some graphite (pencile lead),

or "nut sauce" for lubricating the nut. I'd definitely do that, before changing

machine heads. They are rarely the problem, though it's not "unheard of."

Good Luck!

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks so much! From what I've read it sounds like it is the nut, I'll look more into that and get it fixed, thanks!

Lift the string out of the nut and into the next slot, then get a sharp pencil and scribble back and forth in the slot, put the string back in the slot, retune and enjoy. I have had loads of guitars do this, some very badly, and this has fixed every single one in seconds.

Lift the string out of the nut and into the next slot, then get a sharp pencil and scribble back and forth in the slot, put the string back in the slot, retune and enjoy. I have had loads of guitars do this, some very badly, and this has fixed every single one in seconds.

I use a white "grease pencil".

+1. I do this to all my guitars by habit when changing strings, and haven't had any pings in years!

I was lucky enough to score a small container of teflon grease from American Scientific Products.....more than a lifetimes' worth!

not a doubt in my head that is what "Big Bends Nut Sauce" is..

a small tube (lasts a while tho) is 20 bucks........ good stuff tho...

but yea Luke, you're nut is the most likely problem.. anything to lube it, (chap stick, a small dab of Vaseline both work in a pinch.) and you're off like a herd of turtles.

This worked like a charm thanks so much!

Archived