Gibson Brands Forums

My LG-2 vs my J-45

Working Mans Blue

So I said in my NGD post that I would try to record my two gibsons for comparisons sake, and here it is. Im not gonna comment on what I thought about them because id rather hear your objective opinions.

This was all recorded just in my bedroom, Studio 7 S72 mic just straight into audacity, no effects or anything like that. The first guitar of each song is the LG-2 followed by the J45. I did my best to keep the distances as close as I could but I know they weren't perfect, They were close enough though, mic was at the 12th fret

1st song: My beginners rendition of "Last Steam Engine Train" I accidently messed up and took an extra bar with the j45 on this one :P

2nd song: Friend of the Devil

3rd song: Angie

I thought these songs did a good job of showing all three styles, fingerpicking (1st song) flatpicking and strumming on the 2nd and 3rd songs.

My link

Not sure about the boxy bluesy description of an LG-2. Nothing boxy about any LG-2 I have ever played. Never played one that gave me the impression the sound is trapped inside them struggling to get out. While they ain't gonna ring out till Kingdom Come they do not have near the quick note decay many OOO size ladder braced guitars have (especially those with birch tops). I have always thought of the LG-2 as a pretty ballsy little guitar with one of their best features being a nice sharp attack.

Not sure about the boxy bluesy description of an LG-2. Nothing boxy about any LG-2 I have ever played. Never played one that gave me the impression the sound is trapped inside them struggling to get out. While they ain't gonna ring out till Kingdom Come they do not have near the quick note decay many OOO size ladder braced guitars have (especially those with birch tops). I have always thought of the LG-2 as a pretty ballsy little guitar with one of their best features being a nice sharp attack.

Sorry Zombywoof, 'boxy' might not be appropriate. Let's say, to my untrained ears the J45 sounds 'fuller' as Cameleye said.

Sorry Zombywoof, 'boxy' might not be appropriate. Let's say, to my untrained ears the J45 sounds 'fuller' as Cameleye said.

Hey don't apologize to zomby, tell it to the lg2. You really hurt it's feelings. Haha

But I agree, I think lg2s are some of the biggest sounding small body guitars there is

"Never apologize mister, its a sign of weakness."

In this particular case, it's rather a sign of respect. I’m learning so much from you more knowledgeable guys.

The one and only small body Gibson I've played was a ladder-braced 1960 LG and sounded thin compared to what I am used to, but had that lovely Gibson signature.

After some research I realize that was an LG-1… quite different from an X-braced LG-2.

Anyway, I don’t know much about smaller guitars…yet. I’m into big boxes ;)

In this particular case, it's rather a sign of respect. I’m learning so much from you more knowledgeable guys.

The one and only small body Gibson I've played was a ladder-braced 1960 LG and sounded thin compared to what I am used to, but had that lovely Gibson signature.

After some research I realize that was an LG-1… quite different from an X-braced LG-2.

Anyway, I don’t know much about smaller guitars…yet. I’m into big boxes ;)

Yea you have to remember the whole lg series were designed as student models. The lg-2 happened to be very well designed though. I think even in this comparison the lg2 seems almost as full bodied as the j45 though, but alot more treble. Another thing i was suprised by was how loud it is. The j45 doesnt seem a whole lot louder at all really until you start banging on it. It CAN get alot louder but when playing normally the two arent too far apart

The LG2 has had two top cracks repaired btw

Archived