Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone out there got any Irish in them?

Searcy

so when people ask why I didn't wear green today....

I'm red headed, well most of what's left is still red. I refuse to do the green thing, and people would ask me the same question. My response, "I wear my Irish on top of my head every f'ng day!"

All kidding aside, my family name apparently came to New England from England circa 1790. My family name, depending on spelling, could be Irish, and it wouldn't be shocking if there were a connection - or if there were none.

It appears that prior to around the late 1850s when my great grandfather headed west 'cuz New England was too crowded, most of the family tended to English family names, but with some probable "Native American" involved in there. Two of his three wives had English surnames, but were part "native." After that a couple of German or Swiss/Germans on Dad's side. English/German on my Mom's side, but they weren't in the U.S. until the 1820s or 30s as I recall.

On the other hand too, recall that until the 20th century it wasn't that difficult to reinvent yourself in another area of the country with another name... Federal government made that pretty much impossible with the federal income tax and then the next to the last nail in the coffin with social security. The end of it came with computers - and that "truth" has become a faster zap by the feds since around 1950.

m

All kidding aside, if one looks at linguistic/genetic groups, one might wonder how many folks whose background in the British Isles would not have Celtic blood - and ditto Germanic linguistic/genetic groups, <grin> Hengist and Horsa? <grin>

I tend to look at stuff more like Gildas or Geoffrey of Monmoth, neither of whom IMHO saw the genetics as bringing significant difference compared to the differences in language and culture. So... who knows...

m

I was expecting the now-famous opening words from this track off the 'Live and Dangerous' album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJJy8VOmT0

To answer the question;

Yes. Although born a Scot I'm a Connor down the paternal line which is a sept descended from the O'Conors of Connacht.

The records of this lineage date back over a thousand years. The chief of the clan (still to this day) is called the O'Conor Don (O'Conchubhair Donn).

As such I'm a direct descendant from approximately 100 Kings of Connacht and the last two High Kings of Ireland who, between them, covered the years 1088 to 1198.

So mind your manners when you speak to me.

As we're 'Lizzy-ing' - I've always thought this one was their most 'Irish';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjpBb9q1PA

P.

Can't get much more Irish than this from Lizzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2jSzLBzK4

The song's exact origins are unknown. A number of its lines and the general plot resemble those of a contemporary broadside ballad "Patrick Fleming" (also called "Patrick Flemmen he was a Valiant Soldier") about an Irish highwayman executed in 1650.[5][6]

In the book The Folk Songs of North America, folk music historian Alan Lomax suggests that the song originated in the 17th century, and (based on plot similarities) that John Gay's 1728 The Beggar's Opera was inspired by Gay hearing an Irish ballad-monger singing "Whiskey in the Jar". In regard to the history of the song, Lomax states, "The folk of seventeenth century Britain liked and admired their local highwaymen; and in Ireland (or Scotland) where the gentlemen of the roads robbed English landlords, they were regarded as national patriots. Such feelings inspired this rollicking ballad."[7]

At some point, the song came to the United States and was a favourite in Colonial America because of its irreverent attitude toward British officials. The American versions are sometimes set in America and deal with American characters. One such version, from Massachusetts, is about Alan McCollister, an Irish-American soldier who is sentenced to death by hanging for robbing British officials.[7]

The song appeared in a form close to its modern version in a precursor called "The Sporting Hero, or, Whiskey in the Bar" in a mid-1850s broadsheet.[8]

The song collector Colm Ó Lochlainn, in his book Irish Street Ballads,[9] described how his mother learnt "Whiskey in the Jar" in Limerick in 1870 from a man called Buckley who came from Cork. When O Lochlainn included the song in Irish Street Ballads, he wrote down the lyrics from memory as he had learnt them from his mother. He called the song "There's Whiskey in the Jar", and the lyrics are virtually identical to the version that was used by Irish bands in the 1960s such as the Dubliners. The O Lochlainn version refers to the "far fam'd Kerry mountain" rather than the Cork and Kerry mountains, as appears in some versions.

The song also appears under the title "There's Whiskey in the Jar" in the Joyce[10] collection, but that only includes the melody line without any lyrics. Versions of the song were collected in the 1920s in Northern Ireland by song collector Sam Henry.[11]

I am half Irish by birth (Mom's family tree is traced back about six generations or so to Kilkenny and Mom still has a cousin or two there in Kilkenny) and half Polish. Being married now, I am 2/3 Irish (Hubby's Dad is half Irish, half Welsh)

now THATs smoooothe !!!

Dark Stout, either Guinness or a good "house stout" is the only "beer" that doesn't make my head hurt!

Honestly, I've ordered full pitchers of Guinness or a good "house stout" just for myself and wandered around pubs drinking right out of the pitcher. Hey I'm a big man and love the dark stuff.

Once, I ate a huge prime rib dinner, green beans, potatoes, bread and salad and drank two pitchers of Guinness before going to see Jethro Tull and Emerson Lake and Palmer in Los Angeles. Of course I had refereed six soccer matches that day and was pretty hungry and wanted to drink my fill of that magical elixir before the show.

So at least I know my liver is Irish.

Cheers.

Archived