Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Pin Fail

Chris Browne

Both strap pins stripped on my 339 Pro after three gigs. Is this...a)bad luck, b)a design flaw or evidence of inferior (soft) body wood, c)the result of me jumping around so much 'cause I was having fun playing my new guitar, or d) something else? Wood glue and hardwood spinters have fixed the problem I think, but I'm curious to see if this is an issue others have had.

Ps the moment was captured by a professional photographer and it just looks like I'm digging in, but man was I stressed out!

Thanks!

Chris

post-63063-023404000 1395194242_thumb.jpg

The slacking of the strap is pretty obvious. [scared] Glad you managed to prevent your nice guitar from falling down. [thumbup]

I had to retighten strap knob screws sometimes in the past, and on next to all of my new guitars after purchase. I think this is better than dull threads in the wood from the factory.

When switching to Schaller Strap Locks on some of my guitars, I always went with the way of attaching them I assumed to be best. I evaluated the actual depth of the thread holes using a toothpick. In most cases I had to pre-drill for the screw's core diameter a bit deeper and used the longer ones of the screws supplied.

Both strap pins stripped on my 339 Pro after three gigs. Is this...a)bad luck, b)a design flaw or evidence of inferior (soft) body wood, c)the result of me jumping around so much 'cause I was having fun playing my new guitar, or d) something else? Wood glue and hardwood spinters have fixed the problem I think, but I'm curious to see if this is an issue others have had.

Ps the moment was captured by a professional photographer and it just looks like I'm digging in, but man was I stressed out!

Thanks!

Chris

C

Did they strip the entire depth of the hole, or did they back out and then get jerked out of the last 1/3 or so of the hole?

Unless you specifically checked both screws for tightness prior to the event, there's no way to tell exactly how it happened. However, the repair is often stronger and offers more "bite" for the screw than before. Keep an eye on them and if they should show a tendancy to loosen up on their own, put a bit of epoxy in the offending hole, tighten the screw, and allow it to cure.

Good luck.

Archived