Gibson Brands Forums

Another exciting installment of "Is It Authentic!?"

Mkhlmk

Hey all, I'm Mike. I've lurked for a while, but I've finally got a question worth posting: I'm looking into trading a PRS for this '73 Les Paul Custom and would like to verify its authenticity. I've read all kinds of guides online, but I still don't trust myself not to miss anything.

image_zps376a846b.jpg

[

URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Helmick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4e5316f7.jpg.html]image_zps4e5316f7.jpg[/url]

image_zpsd7af3e0b.jpg

image_zps7ef5cb38.jpg

Hello Mike, and welcome here.

I never saw one of these before with white plastics and golden Top Hat knobs but that doesn't mean they didn't make them. However, the original parts could have been swapped.

Sure looks genuine to me, and a 1 piece top, or is it the pic that don´t tell the whole story about that?

I can´t see no seam anyway.

Why on earth would you trade that beauty for a PRS?

Not that it´s my business but that custom have more soul in one of the tuners than a whole PRS ever could have!

Sure looks genuine to me, and a 1 piece top, or is it the pic that don´t tell the whole story about that?

I can´t see no seam anyway.

Why on earth would you trade that beauty for a PRS?

Not that it´s my business but that custom have more soul in one of the tuners than a whole PRS ever could have!

Did I miss something? I was conceiving he wanted to trade a PRS for buying this '73 Les Paul Custom... [confused]

Did I miss something? I was conceiving he wanted to trade a PRS for buying this '73 Les Paul Custom... [confused]

Thats the way I 'read it' also! Great looking LP! Looks genuine, but check to see if any electronics have been swapped also!!

there are some things that don't add up. the headstock front looks good. there is no "Made in USA" stamp on the back though and a 73 should have one. the fretboard looks to ebony and most fakes have rosewood. it should have a 3 piece top. this looks like a 1 piece. maybe we just can't see the seams in the photo? those grovers wouldn't have been factory, but we don't see the extra holes left over from the orginals. weird. hardware should be all gold, but possible they changed it all out, including pickups. this could actually be a few years older and with changed parts.... but this is one that definitely needs to be checked out in person. too much weird stuff going on here.

No, it was me reading the first post wrong, sorry for that!

Still wondering about the seamless top.

As an instrument, if the custom is genuine and original, i sure would trade a PRS for that beauty, talking about money, of course it could be a bad trade depending on what PRS it is.

there are some things that don't add up. the headstock front looks good. there is no "Made in USA" stamp on the back though and a 73 should have one. the fretboard looks to ebony and most fakes have rosewood. it should have a 3 piece top. this looks like a 1 piece. maybe we just can't see the seams in the photo? those grovers wouldn't have been factory, but we don't see the extra holes left over from the orginals. weird. hardware should be all gold, but possible they changed it all out, including pickups. this could actually be a few years older and with changed parts.... but this is one that definitely needs to be checked out in person. too much weird stuff going on here.

Not sure about the "Made in USA" stamp and the Grovers. To my knowledge Customs could be ordered with chrome hardware as an option then. Maybe the Grovers were stock on these.

The PRS I'll be trading is a 2001 pre lawsuit Singlecut Artist Package... Sorry if that particular model ruffles any feathers. Pic because I can.

image_zpsa2e544e5.jpg

Prs Single cut is just a better guitar...Birds and Gold Hardware, 10 top? looks close to one.. If it was me.. I wouldnt do it.. Lots of better les pauls out there than a Voluted 70s ..

• 2 weeks later...

Around this time, Customs with chrome hardware were available. My dislike for worn gold hardware had me considering one. So that's not an issue, but as mentioned by some of the posters, there might be other issues. Knobs should be witch hat or less common as mine are, reflector knobs........ A Custom would always have a multi ply pick guard also.

1972GibsonLesPaulCustom.jpg

Archived