Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 60's Tribute (2013) vs Epiphone SG G-400 Pro

RobinShredsAllDay

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for quite a while. Roughly 5-6 years now.

One of my very first guitars was a fender squire which I played for a while but just didn't like the look, tone and feel of.

My second guitar I got was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop in CherryBurst which I have and play today.

I have had the Epiphone Les Paul for quite a long time and don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Just I feel like upgrading to playing something

slightly different,which has a great tone, is comfortable and a lot lighter.

Of course as you probably guessed from the title I really really want to get an SG! I love them, i've tried them out many times but I need help deciding what to get.

First off there is the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro in Heritage Cherry

and

Secondly I am also thinking about getting the Gibson SG 60's Tribute

In terms of specs,looks and feel please advise me which one to get.

The price of the Gibson really doesn't bother me, It is fine but I don't want to spend more than that.

Epiphone

G400PRO_CH_Splash.jpg

Gibson

SGTR6V5CH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for quite a while. Roughly 5-6 years now.

One of my very first guitars was a fender squire which I played for a while but just didn't like the look, tone and feel of.

My second guitar I got was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop in CherryBurst which I have and play today.

I have had the Epiphone Les Paul for quite a long time and don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Just I feel like upgrading to playing something

slightly different,which has a great tone, is comfortable and a lot lighter.

Of course as you probably guessed from the title I really really want to get an SG! I love them, i've tried them out many times but I need help deciding what to get.

First off there is the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro in Heritage Cherry

and

Secondly I am also thinking about getting the Gibson SG 60's Tribute

In terms of specs,looks and feel please advise me which one to get.

The price of the Gibson really doesn't bother me, It is fine but I don't want to spend more than that.

Epiphone

G400PRO_CH_Splash.jpg

Gibson

SGTR6V5CH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

IF you are dealing with a brick and mortar store Play them both the 60's neck profile is a tad smaller and the Pickups are a little cleaner.. I would at this stage go with the Gibson over the Epiphone but play them both first to make sure you like the difference in neck and electronics..*)o(*b

I agree with the toad, try them both but as for me and my 3 Gibson S-Gs we are going with the Gibson for sound feel and comfort and looks. and. its a Gibson. You could switch out the hard ware but it will still be second best. I admit to being totally biased. and endorse the Gibson S-G. I would be curious to hear what the epiphone forum would say, would hey decide the 400 is the better. good luck ,

Gibson! No Doubt! Better resale, nicer (wider, deeper) beveling/horn tapering, real Mahagony, and American pickups, electronics, and hardware.

CB

100% agree. The guys on here directed me into a 70 s tribute sg due to the fact I was looking for some high gain pick ups. I ordered the only one I could find in Canada and tried it out and was blown away with how it sounded.

The advantages of the Epiphone over the Gibson are coil split (incorrectly called coil tap) option and high gloss finish in case you like them. Everything else would say Gibson: two more frets, no pickguard, authentic body shaping, traditional neck/body joint, Gibson USA pickups, body without top and back veneer.

If you can afford it, save your money and buy a Gibson SG standard, if your on a budget get the SG tribute. The epiphones do not have a good resale/trade in value later on if you want to upgrade. The tribute is a true Gibson.

Archived