Gibson Brands Forums

Playing fast

moparguy

That's an easy one for us old uns to answer; The video was recorded at 33 1/3rpm but played back at 78rpm...

For those who have a taste for Manouche playing the Djangobooks website is an absolute treasure-trove.

I've all but given up G-J having watched all those new players who have taken Django's legacy to new heights...............................[crying]

No. Not really. But Boy! Can some of those guys play?!

P.

yea, you'll notice the really fast parts are fairly basic scale runs and simple licks that he has just practiced a _lot_

there are hundreds of faster players than him out there, and this is true of all of them.

if you keep doing something often enough and for long enough, you will be good at it.

yea, you'll notice the really fast parts are fairly basic scale runs and simple licks that he has just practiced a _lot_

there are hundreds of faster players than him out there, and this is true of all of them.

if you keep doing something often enough and for long enough, you will be good at it.

Or get Tendonitis :( .

I think also that to play with speed, be it single string work or the more complex material of some rapid-playing fingerpicking, it's a matter of thinking in phrases and then repeating the phrases already part of one's musical vocabulary into appropriate context.

For example, our morning greetings aren't considered on a word by word basis: "Hey, howyadoin'?" "Doin'good-howboutchew?"

If you think of words on a syllable by syllable basis, you can't speak fluently that way - ditto rapid instrumental music performance.

Here's an example of an old fingerpicker putting out a few notes per second... and then a cute young girl doing quite well too...

m

Guest Farnsbarns

China boy has long been a family joke. My dad's best friend, who sadly died recently, had a new Orleans jazz band with a regular night. My dad had been with the band for years but more recently has sat in as a special guest. My dad always requested China Boy at all gigs just because it's so complicated. When ever my dad was sat in with the band it was my job to make the request when John asked if there were any requests.

John was both a musical and comedy genius... At the last gig I went to someone requested a song called Over the Waves. This was the week Bin Laden had been chucked out of a helicopter. Quick as a flash John said, we'll do Under the waves in memory of Osama.

RIP John....

As for that vid, pretty damn quick!

Here's an example of an old fingerpicker putting out a few notes per second... and then a cute young girl doing quite well too...

M,

can't get much better than Segovia ..

I saw Julian Bream some years back. Had great seats too.. maybe 6 rows back, center stage. This guy brought me to tears, (not lying) he was amazing. he was 76 years old at the time, and that was during what he planned to be last international travel to do shows.

I think "we" too often ignore the lessons one might learn from the classical guitar and guitarists. There's a fantastic library of such material on Youtube alone.

One lesson: Look at the number of girls who are fabulous classical players - although it seems they're all from former "eastern bloc" nations. Our Anglophone girls appear to tend not to get into such material.

For what it's worth, in my 50+ years of pickin' I've had two "formal" lessons. Both were a strange opportunity in the early-mid '70s with Christopher Parkening. Figure what, 40 years ago? The specifics aren't quite there, but I think the basics of approach to the fingerboard are somewhere in my subconscious every time I pick up a guitar.

m

Here's unfortunately no vid, but the speed, accuracy and tone...

I have neither the imense talent, nor the drive (anymore), to do any of that! [crying]

It's simply beyong my meager capabilities. And, I've long ago, accepted that fact.

I DO enjoy the fact that other's have those capabilities, and when exercised with

appropriate restraint and taste, they're Phenomenal!

But, again, someone that's much more modest, a player, can still move me to tears,

and "chills," with a small well placed phrase, or even single note, in the right place,

and context.

So, it's all good! [thumbup]

CB

I have neither the imense talent, nor the drive (anymore), to do any of that! [crying]

It's simply beyong my meager capabilities. And, I've long ago, accepted that fact.

I DO enjoy the fact that other's have those capabilities, and when exercised with

appropriate restraint and taste, they're Phenomenal!

But, again, someone that's much more modest, a player, can still move me to tears,

and "chills," with a small well placed phrase, or even single note, in the right place,

and context.

So, it's all good! [thumbup]

CB

True that C.B.

Funny thing...when I clicked I expected one of those metal guys shredding like a maniac on some Ibanes [flapper]

I don't want to know how commited one would have to be to get that good. Talent aside. I mean, clearly if you work at something hard and long you get somewhere but the talent alone can't account for all that. [scared]

I do enjoy EVH's style and appreciate the metal shred, but that swing and classical is more interesting to me and more moving for sure.

the only thing harder than learning how to play fast, is learning how to play slow.

Never a truer word spoken......speed ALWAYS comes(eventually!)after SLOW practice..........get a ''bum note'' at 60bpm......... you'll get a lot more at 180bpm.

Archived