Gibson Brands Forums

Playing fast

moparguy

There are a number of Roy Clark and Joe Pass vids on Youtube playing variations on Hank Williams material.

Clark's comments on Pass were revealing - he simply was trying to keep up the best he could, which sez something of Pass' technique. Problem with listening to Pass is the same as listening to a classical picker whether Joe was using a pick or fingers - it's simply so beyond anything else you don't even notice the speed.

m

amen!

(Karloff, been meaning to mention this, your avatar is the bomb!!)

lol, thanks, i dont remember where i found it. maybe a yr or so back. online somewhere. thought it was perfect for me. printed it out and framed it, in my den... next to my Les Paul and Sir Paul framed pic, lol.

and about Milod's post, Ive always been a huge fan of Roy Clark. I mention Betts, Buddy Guy, Duane, Leslie West as influences... Roy Clark was the first guy that made me sit up and notice, that something cool was goin on... i was just a kid. yrs from picking up a guitar. But his talent was / is unbelievable. and then theres Joe Pass... good Lord

Karloff...

Yeah, I resemble that remark.

The thing is, I'd rather consider myself rather a poor guitarist in comparison to those who truly are great as opposed to considering myself great in comparison to those who strum four chords.

But if we don't have the greats talent and skills to compare ourselves to, it's far too easy to let ourselves be complaisant and not seeking ways to improve our skills, understanding and musical concepts.

So... yeah, I'm nowhere in their class, but I'm doggoned if I'm gonna stop working at being better as a guitarist, musician and performer... And I hope that's the attitude of all of us here.

Heck, I'm old, but I'm still convinced that I've reached nowhere near my potential - and I ain't gonna quit working toward that.

m

Archived