Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Slash sig custom shop plus top (2007)

JAddison

Hi guys,

I have just taken my epi to the shop to have a new wiring loom/kit fitted (500k CTS pots, orange caps etc)

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how thick the maple cap is on these custom shop models?

I know there is a veneer but I am wondering how thich the cap is underneath? It bug me not knowing so I really hope someone can shed some light.

By the looks of it, it has a 3 piece neck. Does anyone know how many pieces the back is made from? It 'looks' like its 1 piece.

Mine is quite dark sounding so I am hoping the 500k pots will brighten her up.

Love playing her, she has more sustain than any of of my other gits.

Well J....

I don't have a Slash model and I haven't had a reason to cut one of my Epi LPs in half lately.

But....As long as you asked, I thought...WHY NOT?

e3980149-fe9c-4f2c-996d-b6d798a6883d.jpg

It's actually a fairly old picture from the Gibson website of an Epiphone.

I'm guessing they haven't changed too much.

Hope others are more help,

Willy

Well J....

I don't have a Slash model and I haven't had a reason to cut one of my Epi LPs in half lately.

But....As long as you asked, I thought...WHY NOT?

e3980149-fe9c-4f2c-996d-b6d798a6883d.jpg

It's actually a fairly old picture from the Gibson website of an Epiphone.

I'm guessing they haven't changed too much.

Hope others are more help,

Willy

Thanks for the reply. I read in a magazine that these custom shop models come with a thicker cap. I am wondering if anyone has any proof of this.

I am wondering if anyone has any proof of this.

Nothing to fret about. (pun intended)

If you really want to know, you could prove it to yourself.

The next time you are restringing you could remove the neck pickup and scrape a small line of the shielding paint out of the cavity.

You would loose a tiny bit of shielding but, you should be able to see at what height one wood ends and the other begins.

Removing the neck pickup would also tell you what kind of tenon that particular model has. (If that matters to you)

Just a thought,

Willy

Nothing to fret about. (pun intended)

If you really want to know, you could prove it to yourself.

The next time you are restringing you could remove the neck pickup and scrape a small line of the shielding paint out of the cavity.

You would loose a tiny bit of shielding but, you should be able to see at what height one wood ends and the other begins.

Removing the neck pickup would also tell you what kind of tenon that particular model has. (If that matters to you)

Just a thought,

Willy

Good plan Willy, I think I might just do that. I am pretty sure that the neck tennon is long as it was advertised at the time. But I can check eh..

thanks for the advice

from the speedknobs and gold hardware i'd venture that we're seeing a LP Custom sawed in half, which is supposed to be solid "mahogany"....no cap.

if the Slash is based on a LP Standard, it will have a "maple" cap of some thickness between 1/2"-11/16" under the veneer.

the guitar in the "sawed" pic is simply an "apples to oranges" comparrison, as Customs and Stds have always been built differently.

but, there's no actual Epi "custom shop".....just another unicorn.

from the speedknobs and gold hardware i'd venture that we're seeing a LP Custom sawed in half, which is supposed to be solid "mahogany"....no cap.

As I said, it's an old article from the President of of the company. (The article has been shortened considerably

from the original on the Gibson website and the pics of fakes have been removed) What is left are two pics.

http://www.epiphone.com/News-Features/News/2004/Regarding-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Tops.aspx

The Epi website does list the LP Customs as solid mahogany with a maple veneer. Still, the pic definitely shows a cap.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, just trying to give JAddison a sample of what Epi caps look like.

Willy

As I said, it's an old article from the President of of the company. (The article has been shortened considerably

from the original on the Gibson website and the pics of fakes have been removed) What is left are two pics.

http://www.epiphone.com/News-Features/News/2004/Regarding-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Tops.aspx

The Epi website does list the LP Customs as solid mahogany with a maple veneer. Still, the pic definitely shows a cap.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, just trying to give JAddison a sample of what Epi caps look like.

Willy

wow, I sure blew that one......and no ill intended btw....

the angle of that carefully staged pic, had me thinking that part of the finish had been removed and there was no cap.

only on turning my head sideways & viewing it did I see the truth.

mea culpa, i've seen me be wrong before.

The back could be a veneer, too. That of my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus looks like a single fantastic piece of mahogany while the ribs reveal that the body is made of five pieces and backed with a veneer as well as the maple cap topped with one. The Tribute LP is undoubtedly a top-of-the-line Epiphone model.

In contrary, my Gibson Les Paul guitars do all have one-piece bodies, but they are in a completely different price range.

Archived