Gibson Brands Forums

Rumblekat QC issues

creekster52

I have been on a quest for a short scale bass. I tried the Hofner Ignition Beatle bass first, but the hardware was pretty cheesy so I sent it back. I decided to try the Allen Woody Rumblekat. I have already sent 2 back (waiting on the 3rd) due to QC issues.

The main issues I have experienced are poor masking of the binding, particularly on the sides at the back binding and the headstock binding. But, my main quality concern has been the grain of the wood on the necks. These are spec'd as being mahogany, which typically has a nice straight grain. The 2 units I have received so far have had a very gnarly grain pattern, which I suspect may be prone to twisting or warping in the future.

I really expected to see better QC on this "signature" series since they are allegedly setup & QC'd in the U.S. Has anyone else experienced the same issues that I have?

• 2 weeks later...

I received the third Rumblekat, and it is nearly perfect. I have only found a couple of very small "fisheyes" in the clearcoat (barely noticeable).

The masking on the side of the back binding was much better on this one, although the color coat did overlap into the binding slightly. It seems odd that they binding has been masked perfectly in the sides of the top binding on all three units, but seems to be a problem on the sides of the bottom binding.

The grain in the neck is very straight on this one, which was my most important concern. This one is a keeper!

I replaced the strings with D'Addario ETB92 Black Nylon Tapewound Short Scale Bass Strings. They were a perfect fit in the nut slots. I did need to loosen the truss rod slightly. The silks on the ball end needed to be stripped back a little to get them behind the saddles, but they do intonate well within the adjustment range. I like these strings very much.

I also replaced the cheap control knobs with gold skirted knobs w/pearl inserts. It not only plays great now, but looks very nice with the black strings and new knobs. Beats the heck out of the Hofner Ignition series.

• 8 months later...

I received the third Rumblekat, and it is nearly perfect. I have only found a couple of very small "fisheyes" in the clearcoat (barely noticeable).

The masking on the side of the back binding was much better on this one, although the color coat did overlap into the binding slightly. It seems odd that they binding has been masked perfectly in the sides of the top binding on all three units, but seems to be a problem on the sides of the bottom binding.

The grain in the neck is very straight on this one, which was my most important concern. This one is a keeper!

at lest it wasn't a "Gibson" branded one I have seen numerous "Gibson" with the frets overhanging the fretboard requiring repair and these were new hanging in stores for sale o.O

Archived