Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Melody Maker Upgrades

Pylon

Greetings everyone,

After receiving my 2014 MM I feel like upgrading two main parts on it. Please help the newbie!

1. Nut - Tusq XL or Bone?

2. Tuners - Grover? Schaller? Gotoh? Locking yes/no? (Note: I'd rather not do any drilling)

Cheers and thanks for your input!

1. If you can afford it, go bone. Never liked Tusq, it's wider frequency response can add some harsh overtones. Bone is the standard.

2. I'm a big fan of Sperzel locking tuners. Work great, don't slip, string changes take 5 minutes.

-Ryan

Unless there is something wrong with the nut, there is no reason to change it on a Gibson. If you do need to change it, I prefer bone over Tusq.

I have locking tuners on some of my guitars and they make string changes easier, but that's it.

• 4 months later...

I've thought if I were to get one I'd switch out the bridge for something like this Schaller bridge, so intonation and such could be adjusted for other strings...?

Am I the only one on this train of thought? Or what I'm on about a bit redundant...? [unsure]

While I seem to be one that goes against the tide, here...I always change the nut, on

my newly purchased Gibson's, to "Bone!" It's now a SOP, with my dealer, whenever I

purchase a Gibson, from them. As to tuners...that's up to you. Unless you're having

issues, with them, I'd probably leave them alone, as they have a nice "vibe" with that

particular guitar. But, we're all different, and have different needs/requirements.

When I DO change tuners, I usually go to Grovers. But, there are others, that have

been mentioned already, that work well, too.

Enjoy!

CB

I just changed the nuts on all my les Paul's to tusq, 2 of the guitars weren't even 2 months old. I like the tonality of the tush nut, and the graphite eliminates the string slippage in the nut, both my brand new les Paul's would ping when tuning. Also added tonepros bridge and locking studs ,as well graph tech saddles.

Archived