Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShootinDave

New Guy Here..... My Epis and a unique Epi Mystery

So..... I recently started playing around with making some Epi Specials and Juniors into legit playing guitars.

My first project was a black Special II. Paint was all scratched up, the toggle switch was broke off..... and it was sad and lonely. So I adopted the guitar for free from a friend. Project: filled in the neck PUP and toggle switch holes with new wood. Got a blank pick guard and made a Junior style with a jig saw. Also made a wood truss cover with the jig saw. Painted it a reliced yellow and threw in a Guitar Fetish Pro series lipstick pickup and new Pots.

Also pictured is my 1957 Reissue and a NCAA Mizzou Epi.

fl8w.jpg

My second project is a Epi Junior.... equally beat up and I purchased it for $40 on Craigslist. As I started removing paint I found that the body had the engravings for the limited edition Alabama Guitar..... WIERD. Here are some pics.

06tt.jpg

ux1t.jpg

Has anyone run across this before?

I look forward to learning some stuff from this board. Hope you enjoy the pics.

- Dave

Has anyone run across this before?

I look forward to learning some stuff from this board. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Dave,

Welcome to the forum!!!

It is an Alabama American Farewell Tour Trubute Guitar....2003

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/File:Alabamalpjr2.jpg

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Commemorative_Models

Nice job on the Guitars. They look sharp!

I think you'll find there are a few members around here that have done threads for rebuilds on

Juniors and Specials.

Willy

i'm sitting 40 miles from Ft.Payne (Alabamas' hometown) and my wife has met their singer.

we used to eat at the guitarists' restraunt/lounge in Gadsden.

i've not heard of nor seen one of those guitars before!!

VERY cool !

Yeah, it is weird that it ISNT one of those guitars. HAHA. It was just a plain Jane black Epi Junior. Under the factory black paint was all of the decals for that tribute guitar.

- Dave

They probably just ended up with unsold Alabama models and repainted them. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've never seen anything specifically like this on an Epiphone, though.

Custom colors over sunbursts sometimes turn up on 50s Fenders, likely because sometimes when they got an order for a custom color they just resprayed an existing guitar for expediency, but that's turning "common" into "unique" not the other way around :)

They probably just ended up with unsold Alabama models and repainted them. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've never seen anything specifically like this on an Epiphone, though.

Custom colors over sunbursts sometimes turn up on 50s Fenders, likely because sometimes when they got an order for a custom color they just resprayed an existing guitar for expediency, but that's turning "common" into "unique" not the other way around :)

Hey! You are from KC,MO too...... cool.

- Dave