Gibson Brands Forums

how long will it take my new j45 s to sounds its best

lovemyj45

Hello Newbie - Your guitar will break in - open up - melt down - get looser - gettin' to know your touch and tricks many years ahead.

If you love it now, be happy, patient and grateful - you haven't heard it yet. . .

Post a few pics and samples

Hello Newbie - Your guitar will break in - open up - melt down - get looser - gettin' to know your touch and tricks many years ahead.

If you love it now, be happy, patient and grateful - you haven't heard it yet. . .

Post a few pics and samples

Perfect.

In my experience, if you actually get a brand new, never played guitar (not one that has sat on the floor of a store) there are several phases of development. The guitar sound develops most during the first few hours of play. It still develops, but not quite as rapidly, for a week or two, depending on how much play time. Development slows down but continues very gradually after that. When the instrument is a year or two old the basic sound is pretty well established, though it will improve like wine slowly over the years.

On Thursday. Definitely Thursday.

[biggrin]

All guitars will get better with age. My elder ones appear to be pretty stable since after ten to fifteen years, and I don't know if I will live to hear that of my recent purchases. However, they all may sound great in the hands of another player [smile]

My J-45 sounded best of the four I tried, so right off the block it sounded good. It's been about 3/4 of a year and it seems to be a tad more responsive. Recent switch to nickel coated steel strings has improved the overall thump.

Cameleye, did you get another J45? The SJ45 sounds great that you sold me.... [thumbup]

I had the bridge pin holes ramped, bone pins, and I put on a firestripe pickguard and Waverly open back white button tuners in the last few months.

I am still experimenting with strings on it, so far i like the DR Sunbeams in Medium. What kind of (Brand?) nickel / steel are you using?

This guitar has a nice thumpy low end on it no matter what kind of strings, can only guess what nickel will do.

My 2010 j45 standard sounded great in the shop or I wouldn't have bought it. I was looking for that Ligtnin Hopkins kind of growl...and got it....."Wrap that for me - I want it"

After 6 months or so, it went through, as the old sailors call it....'The Doldrums'. I tried a few lots of strings, but ended back with Gibson MB PBs.

It was good, but a few months ago something went ahead - I took it out of the case and...Kazoom....one fully opened j45!

So I would say it takes about 4 years if you only play it at home, probably a lot less if you gig it, and maybe even less time if you uses finger picks.

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/blues777a

BluesKing777.

Archived