Gibson Brands Forums

No bridge pickup in middle position

Haza1981

Hi,

I think I've wired my pickups in wrong.

When the switch is in the middle position there is no sound coming from the Bridge pickup. If I turn the neck one down nothing comes through the amp.

If I switch it to the Bridge position it works fine.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Are you getting any sound from the bridge pickup when the selector switch is in the middle position, and both volumes are turned up?

If so, this is normal, and both volume controls will affect both pickups with the switch in the middle position. There are two basic ways to wire 2 humbuckers/ 2 vols which will either have the volumes operate this way, or have 'independent' volume controls.

If you aren't getting sound from the bridge pickup when the selector switch is in the middle position, and both volumes are turned up then something else is happening. Let us know what happens in each switch position?

I, too, agree with Vomer. If both volumes are turned up and, in the middle position there is no sound from the bridge pickup, but works fine from the treble position, then the problem is likely in the switch. If otherwise, the pickup would not work at all, in any position. I would look at the selector switch first.

Hope this helps, and you find your problem!

Pete

To test, turn both volumes to 10, put selector switch in center position. With a small screwdriver (or any other metallic probe, or pushing a string down to touch) simply tap on a pole piece of each pickup. The audible pop will be obvious if the pickup is active. Again, if either pickup volume is turned all the way down with the switch in the center position, NEITHER pickup will be active.

That is the way they come wired from the factory. I found it strange also.

There is a wiring modification that can be done to "Correct" this "Defect". [rolleyes]

You have to switch the wires on the volume pots.

There are plenty of diagrams available. Search for INDEPENDANT VOLUME CONTROL FOR GIBSON.

You have to be comfortable with soldering, and taking your guitar apart. IF YOU ARE NOT, PLEASE TAKE IT TO A PRO.

I do repairs, and you'd be unpleasantly surprised at how many guitars come in with wiring mistakes made by someone who thought they could do it themselves.

Usually because of heat in the wrong place for too long, there are components that have to be replaced as well.

• 6 years later...

I have this same issue. When in the middle position I cant hear the bridge pickup at all which is strange because the bridge pickup is much hotter that the neck. Also the neck coil tap no longer works.

I had these issues when I bought the guitar so I'm not really sure what went wrong I looked at the wires but dont really know what to look for. There were no loose wires though.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

• 2 years later...