Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a Gibson

TEAMU

Check the prices at Sweetwater.com as well as zzounds then go to GUITAR CENTER and play it.. if you like the one Guitar Center has they will at least match the price at Sweetwater or ZZOunds the main point is you have the Guitar physically in your hands and can double chek the finish etc.. whereas if you purchase online you are running the risk of a finish problem or a shipping etc.. I have because of my location purchased from Sweetwater as well as zzounds but IF you are considering a NEW GUITAR and have access to a GUITAR CENTER you can get the price matched you can play it as well as inspect it before you purchase so THAT is the way I would go about it.. *)o(* $620.oo is the price all over the net so that is the Price and you can always request another 10% so try GUITAR CENTER $620 and you get to physically play it and see it *)o(*

My linkSweetweater Charcoal Grey Melody maker

My linkzzounnds Melody maker 2014 grey

Should I buy a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker charcoal grey from my local Guitar Center or is there a better place or way to order it? Does It even matter? Thank you, Scott.

Hello..

The best thing to do is go and try a few (as many as you can really)... As Gibsons are still hand finished each one is slightly different in feel and setup.. so even say if they have more than one of the same model and colour its worth trying a few out.. You will soon know which one you like best :)

Its one of those things with guitars.. Maybe even try something you hadn't considered if something else catches your eye while your looking around :)

Ohh and if you go and try them in the store, its always best to play through and amp as similar to what you have at home as possible so you get a good idea how it will sound with your amp.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you get.. we will expect pictures :) [thumbup]

Check the prices at Sweetwater.com as well as zzounds then go to GUITAR CENTER and play it.. if you like the one Guitar Center has they will at least match the price at Sweetwater or ZZOunds the main point is you have the Guitar physically in your hands and can double chek the finish etc.. whereas if you purchase online you are running the risk of a finish problem or a shipping etc.. I have because of my location purchased from Sweetwater as well as zzounds but IF you are considering a NEW GUITAR and have access to a GUITAR CENTER you can get the price matched you can play it as well as inspect it before you purchase so THAT is the way I would go about it.. *)o(* $620.oo is the price all over the net so that is the Price and you can always request another 10% so try GUITAR CENTER $620 and you get to physically play it and see it *)o(*

My linkSweetweater Charcoal Grey Melody maker

My linkzzounnds Melody maker 2014 grey

Thank you for your info. I went to my local Guitar Center today and I did not see one in stock so I was curios if they were going to have to order one just for me maybe I could order one from another respected dealer. I know the price is $600.20 and I know if I order one sight unseen it would be somewhat of a dice roll but I figure no matter how they end I will still have a great product. Thank you again, Scott

Hello..

The best thing to do is go and try a few (as many as you can really)... As Gibsons are still hand finished each one is slightly different in feel and setup.. so even say if they have more than one of the same model and colour its worth trying a few out.. You will soon know which one you like best :)

Its one of those things with guitars.. Maybe even try something you hadn't considered if something else catches your eye while your looking around :)

Ohh and if you go and try them in the store, its always best to play through and amp as similar to what you have at home as possible so you get a good idea how it will sound with your amp.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you get.. we will expect pictures :) [thumbup]

Thank you for all of your advice. I really am hooked on this guitar and I appreciate your input. This is a great forum and I will be here often I expect after the purchase. It probably is not a big deal to a lot of pros but I am sure a new guitar at any age or level of expertise is a fun experience. Kind of exciting too. Thanks again, Scott

Thank you for all of your advice. I really am hooked on this guitar and I appreciate your input. This is a great forum and I will be here often I expect after the purchase. It probably is not a big deal to a lot of pros but I am sure a new guitar at any age or level of expertise is a fun experience. Kind of exciting too. Thanks again, Scott

The LP MM is one of my favourite of the 2014 models and is what I would buy if I were looking for a guitar at the moment.

Its a pure simple rock machine and everything I have heard about them sounds great.. So I think your making a good choice there..

And we are always happy to see people getting their new gibbys, we all appreciate that feeling around here (even after all these years)... Its called NGD (or new guitar day)... Its always a cool thing.. [thumbup]

And yes there are lots of good people on here so is a good place to find info and share pictures of our lovely Gibsons etc...

I've bought plenty of guitars from sweetwater, I have never had a problem.

In fact, I just ordered a new strat last week, it is flawless, (and yes, I'm pretty anal)

Sweetwater is just about the best place on the net (customer service is outstanding!).

when you're ready, just do it. if there's a problem, they'll work to make it right.

The LP MM is one of my favourite of the 2014 models and is what I would buy if I were looking for a guitar at the moment.

Its a pure simple rock machine and everything I have heard about them sounds great.. So I think your making a good choice there..

And we are always happy to see people getting their new gibbys, we all appreciate that feeling around here (even after all these years)... Its called NGD (or new guitar day)... Its always a cool thing.. [thumbup]

And yes there are lots of good people on here so is a good place to find info and share pictures of our lovely Gibsons etc...

Thank you, I appreciate your input, Scott.

I've bought plenty of guitars from sweetwater, I have never had a problem.

In fact, I just ordered a new strat last week, it is flawless, (and yes, I'm pretty anal)

Sweetwater is just about the best place on the net (customer service is outstanding!).

when you're ready, just do it. if there's a problem, they'll work to make it right.

I am seriously considering your advice and have looked them up. Thank you for the information and we will see. Thank you, Scott.

Sweetwater adds a two year warranty of theirs to anything you buy from them... plus 55 point check prior to shipping. You can pick your specific guitar on their site by pictures, weight, specs, etc.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked them up, and another member also mentioned them. I will definitely consider them. Thanks again, Scott.

I'm lucky enough to live within an hour of the famous HOG. Well worth seeing if you're ever around the Rochester area.

That sounds pretty neat for you but it is more than a Sunday drive for me. Maybe someday though, who knows, sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestion and have a good day, Scott

That sounds pretty neat for you but it is more than a Sunday drive for me. Maybe someday though, who knows, sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestion and have a good day, Scott

Just to be sure, I am assuming HOG stands for House Of Gibson? Yes?

House of Guitars.

Rochester, New York

WOW. I just looked up their website and I had no clue (as I am sure you were well aware). Looks like the kind of place that's never the same any time you go there, only better. Lots of Hall of Fame history past and present. Neat how it all grew out of that house. Thank you for educating me. I will teach my daughter about it someday. Cool. Thank you, Scott.

GC is just about the worst place to buy a guitar.

O.k., I just have not felt real comfortable at our local store. I do not really know why. Nobody has really been mean or rude. I do not know. There is a small, old hole in the wall Mom and Pop kind of place that is not well lit packed pretty full of all sorts of music stuff. I mean boxes that are not open stacked, but every time I have asked the old guy something {although it has only been a few times) he walks me around and finds what I ask about. Nice old man. Kind of a dingy place, but I really do feel comfortable there. Like I said, I do not know. Thank you for your opinion, Scott

you cant go wrong with Sweetwater. They back what they sell! I have spent aprox.$6000 within the last 18 months there and I can honestly say they care about how you feel about your purchase. They not only waranty it for 2 years, but they give follow up calls 10 months later wanting to know how you like your equipment. They will assign a saleman to help you, and trust me if there is a problem he will help you. Great Place!! ....and did I mention their prices are 2nd to none! Whatever you do stay away from Guitar Center! I go there only to try stuff out.

Sweetwater is my favorite on line dealer. Very good service. Great reputation. You can look at photos of the guitars they have in stock and decide which one you want.

My buddy just almost "stole" a 2013 LP Standard from them a couple weeks ago. It was on sale plus the guy worked with him on the price a little more. I've bought 3 guitars there - I think - great place.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

I just bought my Gibson Acoustic from Sweetwater. Great place to buy a guitar. In addition to all of the other things already said, If you don't live in Sweetwater's home state, you don't pay sales tax. If you buy from your local GC, you are not only paying sales tax, you are also getting a "used" guitar unless they go back in their storage area and bring you one right out of the box. (no 55 point inspection, etc...)

Archived