Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a Gibson

TEAMU

I just bought my Gibson Acoustic from Sweetwater. Great place to buy a guitar. In addition to all of the other things already said, If you don't live in Sweetwater's home state, you don't pay sales tax. If you buy from your local GC, you are not only paying sales tax, you are also getting a "used" guitar unless they go back in their storage area and bring you one right out of the box. (no 55 point inspection, etc...)

True. I would only buy from Sweetwater unless there is something that GC specifically has that I can't get from Sweetwater (i.e. my DIF I bought in November). I've bought three guitars from Sweetwater and all have been perfect.

Should I buy a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker charcoal grey from my local Guitar Center or is there a better place or way to order it? Does It even matter? Thank you, Scott.

I noticed Future Shop (in Canada) is now selling Gibson LP Studio Pro's online for about 1150.00 ... anyone can sell a Gibson?

Sweetwater is my favorite on line dealer. Very good service. Great reputation. You can look at photos of the guitars they have in stock and decide which one you want.

My buddy just almost "stole" a 2013 LP Standard from them a couple weeks ago. It was on sale plus the guy worked with him on the price a little more. I've bought 3 guitars there - I think - great place.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

That!!!

Also, just food for thought, with the GC corporate restructuring that is sure to cause a major shake-up in the near future, it could come to pass that the less profitable locations may close their doors and leave the better performing locations to pick up the over-flow that is left without a "local" store. I don't think any of us know for sure which locations will remain and which ones might close, if or when...

Buying from GC right now might get you a better price point; as they are trying to liquidate high dollar inventory in a big way; especially Gibson guitars, but you'll have to decide if that's best for you considering the possibility that the store won't be there to back the purchase at some point in the future and you'd have to deal with them online anyway...

I actually like being able to go to my local GC, but have no idea if it will still be there in the long run. I think so since it sits on the outskirts of one of the largest mall communities I've ever seen, the multiple shopping centers and mammoth malls go on for miles and miles and my GC is right on the edge of it all... I would think the traffic for consumerism there gives them a real edge in sales business, but I just don't know for sure...

I too am completely blown-away by the quality and customer service of Sweetwater and give them the bulk of all my business and gear purchases... I buy most of axes used though so I've only purchased a couple new guitars from them, but I've never bought a new Les Paul from them... Yet...

Archived