Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Les Paul Gibson Epiphone Value

TomGayhart

Hello to all.

I have recently purchased, what I believe to be authentic, 1961 Les Paul model Electric Guitar.

I have attached pictures.

Can any one tell me the value of this guitar?

Thanks

Tom

Austin

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

What you have is NOT a "'61 Les Paul," as they were Gibson's, and the first year

Gibson went to the SG style body! 1960, was the last year, of the single cutaway

Gibson "Les Paul" original run. The single cutaway Les Pauls, as we know them now,

were re-introduced (some say the first "re-issue") in 1968. Due to overwhelming demand,

oddly enough. As, the first run, to 1952-1960 wasn't very successful. That, being the

reason they were discontinued, in the first place, and the SG body style was born.

Your's (pictured) is a Asian (Korean) Made "Epiphone" Les Paul Standard, of which Gibson

is the parent company for Epiphone.

But, ALL Gibson's are made in America, either in Nashville, or Memphis, Tennessee,

or Bozeman, Montana, for Acoustic guitars.

ALL Epiphones, except special American limited editions, are made in various factories

in Japan (Epiphone Elitist), Korea, China, and Indonesia. Some, were even made in

Yugoslavia, at one time.

The only Epiphones, that have any collector value, would be the pre-1970 USA made

models, from the old Kalamazoo, Michigan factory. Or, possibly, some odd models,

made in very limited quantaties, at some point down the line.

Otherwise, the Epiphones have no real "value" beyond what they'll get on the used

market. They're great guitars, don't get me wrong. But, with little "collector"

value, at this time. There are quite simply, too many quantities made, now.

On the used market, your model will bring anywhere from 200+, to 400+ dollars, depending

on condition, type of "top" wood/laminate, and rarity of color-finish, etc. Limited Editions,

(which your's is not), would bring more. Best just enjoy the great guitar you have, and not

worry too much, about "value." The best "Value" is what it's worth, to you, as it's owner,

player.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks for the info.

I am a bit confused by the SN..

I have looked at reproductions online (and all look just like mine) but all have valid SNs. i.e. They fit the SN description on Wikipedia and are typically mfg'ed in 1990-2005.

Why would the SN on mine claim to be mfg'ed in a '61 model??

Thanks,

Tom

I'm by no means an expert - or even very knowledgeable - about Epi LP's but AFAIK the '88 - '93 Epi LP's did NOT follow any of the post - '93 numbering systems.

It might be that it dates from this period.

P.

Well, according to the "newly updated" (and more accurate) Guitar Dater website,

your guitar was made in the Saein Plant, in 1996, located in Incheon, Korea.

Hence the "I" as the first letter, in your serial number. The O453, is the

production number.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

The Guitar Dater website seems to be pretty reliable, on Newer (1990's on) Gibson

and Epiphones, but not so much on older (70's & 80's) Japanese versions, or Vintage

USA models. Too many variables, back then, and unreliable numbering systems, etc.

Oddities, do occur, however.

CB

Well, according to the "newly updated" (and more accurate) Guitar Dater website,

your guitar was made in the Saein Plant, in 1996, located in Incheon, Korea.

Hence the "I" as the first letter, in your serial number. The O453, is the

production number.

Ah, sorry for mis-reading the first digit as an '1' and not a 'I'...

Well done, CB!

[thumbup]

P.

.....They are really nice, and affordable, versions, of the venerable Gibson Les Paul.

The Saein Factory versions are always very high quality.

Just to reinforce what CB says here;

"Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999."

P.

Archived