Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
leesrubberroom

Gibson J-200 Custom Vine Ren Ferguson?

Hi all, i have been talking to a friend recently who owns a 2004 Gibson J-200 Custom Vine. It's all exactly the same as the normal Custom Vines you can see on the net and Gibson website etc, but on the pick guard there is an "RF" engraved at the bottom. He was told this is a Ren Ferguson guitar, but it's not like the other Ren Ferguson guitars where he's signed the label, it's just got a standard Custom Shop label. Also, the case has "Gibson Custom Art Historic" on it. He said that this guitar was displayed on the Gibson music stand at a fair in the US. Does anyone know if this sounds genuine? The fact it was displayed might explain the RF.

I just wonder what Ren's input to this guitar really would have been?

Ren may have signed the inside of the top.

If he did that would indicate he worked on it to some degree.

Your friend would have to place a mirror inside the guitar to see the underside of the top.

JC

The guitar has a very distinctive vine pattern on the fret board. This design was done by Ren Ferguson. The shell was cut by hand by Ren. Val Bolitho inlayed the shell into the guitar. The pick guard was hand engraved and hand painted by Ren.

Ren hand built all of the tops in the "Art Shop". There were only 3 of these particular J-200's in Vintage Sunburst built in 2001.1 in vintage Sunburst was made in 2000. These were used as display pieces at the NAMM shows by Gibson so there is every reason to believe that this guitar was a display piece at some point in it's life.

Your friend has a very valuable guitar and I hope he plays it a bunch as they are wonderful sounding examples of the J-200. The suggested retail for the guitar was $ 10,979.00 with the case in 2001.

They first appeared in the price list in 1999, and were gone by 2002. Gibson made at total of 27 of them in Antique Natural and a total of 4 in Vintage Sunburst.

Hahaha . I thought he said ten thousand dollars there :D :D

I guess the$22,500.00 J-200 Monarchs Ren built for 2003 are out of the question then? Those were very heady times for Gibson and they sold every Monarch that Ren could build. That and the 4 Master Museums he built with an average price of $50K. Things have changed a bit.

The age of cool guitars is gone and all we have left are some goofy walnut things. Pitiful

I guess the$22,500.00 J-200 Monarchs Ren built for 2003 are out of the question then? Those were very heady times for Gibson and they sold every Monarch that Ren could build. That and the 4 Master Museums he built with an average price of $50K. Things have changed a bit.

The age of cool guitars is gone and all we have left are some goofy walnut things. Pitiful

Yes. The Golden Age we've thought we might be experiencing might be over.

"It's the stupid economy!"

Have you divested of your Gibsons yet for those Guilds you were lauding?

Have you divested of your Gibsons yet for those Guilds you were lauding?

I still have a couple of custom shop Gibson's left. The market for them is so slow I can't seem to give them away. None of them are walnut.. Ha.... That's the only reason I post here. Well-- that and the fact that I can answer a lot of questions folks here seem to have. When the Gibson's are gone so am I.