Gibson Brands Forums

Waverly open-back nickel butterbean tuners

larryp58

In my view the enclosed Grover Rotomatics are serviceable, but heavy. The Sta-Tites are goodish. Waverly tuners are magnificent. Quality control, tight tolerances, smooth and precise, beautiful...

(Full disclosure: I've been to the Waverly shop and seen how they are made.)

Waverlys are certainly not the best tuners out there but lots of folks swear they are among the best when you look at how well they function and price.

But I gotta agree with the above - I also like the Grover Sta-Tites. They work great and will not hit you near as deep in the pocket as the Waverlys.

Imagine this situation. Your friend borrows your J-45 for a gig. Later, when he brings it back he says: "Jerry, I feel so bad about this. I banged the guitar into something and snapped off one of the tuner pegs. I took the guitar over to Gryphon and had them put a full set of new tuners on for you."

Replacement tuners and my reactions:

Rotomatics - WTF?

Sta-tites - Oh, alright.

Waverlies - My man!

When it comes to tuners, Waverlys are not in the same league as Rodgers, Robson, Alessi, and Graf. But you will pay dearly for that quality.

You can buy a pretty good guitar for what some of those tuners cost.

I wish they made those three on a plate for a solid headstock...I would put 'em on my LG-2. I have Waverly tuners on my D28 and feel there are none better. They are so smooth and so precise, you just dial the string right into tune in a second....no futzing about. All my other tuners need a little bit more, almost got it, back down and back up again, little bit more, there got it. Waverys just go straight there....one turn and tuned.

I also have the classical version of these that Stew Mac sells as Irving Sloane tuners.

It would be nice to see Waverly make open gear three on a plate tuners with smaller Gibson style cream or black plastic buttons. We would see a lot more Waverlys on Gibson acoustics.

The ones you got are going to age with a very attractive patina...

Give the Antique Acoustic tuners a look.

I have them on my J45TV....there are very nice indeed. The waverlys seem highest quality to me, followed by the Antique Acoustics, then Golden Age, then Gotoh, then Kluson, then the rest.

image_zps38aeda5c.jpg

I have them on my J45TV....there are very nice indeed. The waverlys seem highest quality to me, followed by the Antique Acoustics, then Golden Age, then Gotoh, then Kluson, then the rest.

image_zps38aeda5c.jpg

Those look really nice on your TV. Good call.

Installed the Waverlys in my Martin 000-17sm this afternoon. It is pretty much a drop in replacement with only a millimetre or so having to be shaved off the post holes. It was easy peezy with a sharp 1/4" drill bit.

DSC_1545.png

The results are amazing!

waverlycropped.png

Installed the Waverlys in my Martin 000-17sm this afternoon. It is pretty much a drop in replacement with only a millimetre or so having to be shaved off the post holes. It was easy peezy with a sharp 1/4" drill bit.

DSC_1545.png

No depth gauge used on the drill bit, Doug : 0 ? I guess you were just going in "a touch..."

These hand engraved NLA Fustero tuners (a la the 1A) went on the Ramirez cedar/hog; stressful drilling nonetheless::

ecc67c12-7422-4306-80d1-5af0e334db92_zpsee705d34.jpg

No depth gauge used on the drill bit, Doug : 0 ? I guess you were just going in "a touch..."

These hand engraved NLA Fustero tuners (a la the 1A) went on the Ramirez cedar/hog; stressful drilling nonetheless::

ecc67c12-7422-4306-80d1-5af0e334db92_zpsee705d34.jpg

No. A depth gauge wasn't necessary since the holes were already there. I was only taking off a very small amount and I could feel the drill bit stop at the end of the inner hole very clearly. I was going VERY slow too.

Archived