Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Korina 1983

mat-with-one-t

Hi all. I'm rather enjoying a bit of ongoing research into the first round of '58 reissues of V, Explorer & (not technically a "reissue" - or IS it...heh) Modernes.

Now, I'm asking here about the Explorers in Korina. I now know they were made in 1983 only (there MAY be some very rare earlier Korina's from 1976, but the only actual run of Korinas was 1983).

Now, as I understand it, there were about 100 Korina Heritages, and about 100 Kornina Custom Shop Explorers made in 1983. The Heritages had a stamped serial (old school style) and old style tuners (like the originals), whereas the Custom Shop ones had a pressed-in serial, stamped custom shop logo, and Kluson tuners.

All had 3-piece bodies, however a fistful (?maybe 10 of each type) of the earliest ones had 2 piece bodies.

All the Heritage models were natural Korina, whereas the Custom Shop ones were maybe about 1/2 natural, then others in red, black and blonde?

All came with Tim Shaw PAF hand-wound pickups.

Is this all correct?

Can anyone add to info?

I am yet to see a single pic of one of the Korina Heritage Explorers from 1983 (but have seen lots of the Custom Shop ones...)!!

What serial numbers were they all given?

What are they all worth these days?

Awesome,

Mat

• 1 month later...

From one sourcebook I have (printed in '78) they mention that the original idea was to make the '76 re-issue from Korina as per the originals.

However on inspecting the wood after delivery most of it was deemed to be below the quality required for the instruments.

According to the information supplied by Gibson to the author (Ian C. Bishop) 38 Korina Explorers were made as part of the '76 run.

Can't help with any of the rest.

P.

Thanks Pippy. Yep, I'd heard the stuff about lack of timber when they tried to get the '76 run done. I hadn't heard about the run of 38 Korina Explorers that they did manage to make at that time.

Can anyone verify this?

In meantime, would love people to answer the original post.

Thanks Pippy.

• 4 weeks later...

And can I get ANY serial numbers guys?? Is there a record somewhere?

Edit - finally found them! Heritage Korina Explorers were stamped in ink with a 1, followed by a space, followed by 4 numbers. They were simply numbered in order of manufacture, so I assume they range from "1 0001" to around "1 0100". Whew!

• 3 years later...

whoa! settle down and stop all talking at once.... ](*,)

Hey mat. Yes I can add to this. I have a heritage explorer 1983 korina. I'm blonde. Mine is number 99 of the 100 made. These were available in natural black and a blonde colour. Not real fond of the blonde but beggars can't be chooses they say. If I work out how to link photos on here I'll send some pics. Thanks

• 2 years later...

I have a 1983 Explorer with natural Korina  and the custom shop edition.  Serial # 80483580.  I bought it in 1987 in Columbus GA when I was stationed at Ft Benning and was 19 years old. There were two of these explorers and they were selling for $700.00 in 1987 at the music store in Columbus.  I have it set up in open e tuning and slightly raised the the strings for slide playing.  It is still in excellent shape with the original case.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know if all 1983 Custom Shop Edition Explorers are Korina? Mine was made on March 10, 1983 in Nashville, per the "pressed" serial number. It is yellow with a black pick guard, (blonde may be the actual color name), gold hardware, pearl dot inlays on the rosewood fret board and pearl Gibson inlay on the headstock, in line gold knobs with the selector on the "horn". I purchased it new in 1984 and it is all original. It has gold "soap bar" pickups and it's serial number is close to a known Custom shop edition Korina that is nearly identical except my finish does not show the wood grain. The 8 digit serial number, and the custom shop edition marking, tell me it's not a Heritage. Can anyone help me? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New to the forum, 1st post:

I have a 1983 Korina Explorer in Candy Apple Red with gold hardware and a Kahler trem with the string locks behind the nut. It has since been refinished in blue (around 1995-96). Had the Custom Shop sticker on the headstock, serial is 80683514 = March 9th, 1983, production number 14 (Nashville plant). Wayne Charvel says he put the Kahlers on most of these during this time - I live near him, have known him for years. I can confirm they pickups are PAFs, I don't know about the woman's name under the neck PU, but I'll find out.

Same specs as mentioned before; Pearl logo inlay, pearl dot inlays on a rosewood neck, inline gold speed knobs, cream switch tip on the 3-way (always thought that was weird with the black pickguard). Had an onboard boost switch that Wayne also confirmed he put in, I removed it....now there's a hole 😉

I bought the guitar in 1984 or 85, from a friend of mine in the military, came in the original hardshell case (it's a monster). As I understand it, they came in Candy Apple Red, Natural, Ebony and White. Possibly Ferrari red, I could be wrong, hard to find any info. I pretty much learned to play on this guitar and abused the Kahler like a madman in the 80s-90s.

Broke the headstock in the early 90s (throwing the guitar around my shoulder), repaired it around '95, refinished after that. Came out nice, but it's hard to see that (stamped) serial number now

Edited by Booger
mentioned the pickups & stock parts
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2024 at 5:48 PM, Booger said:

New to the forum, 1st post:

I have a 1983 Korina Explorer in Candy Apple Red with gold hardware and a Kahler trem with the string locks behind the nut. It has since been refinished in blue (around 1995-96). Had the Custom Shop sticker on the headstock, serial is 80683514 = March 9th, 1983, production number 14 (Nashville plant). Wayne Charvel says he put the Kahlers on most of these during this time - I live near him, have known him for years. I can confirm they pickups are PAFs, I don't know about the woman's name under the neck PU, but I'll find out.

Same specs as mentioned before; Pearl logo inlay, pearl dot inlays on a rosewood neck, inline gold speed knobs, cream switch tip on the 3-way (always thought that was weird with the black pickguard). Had an onboard boost switch that Wayne also confirmed he put in, I removed it....now there's a hole 😉

I bought the guitar in 1984 or 85, from a friend of mine in the military, came in the original hardshell case (it's a monster). As I understand it, they came in Candy Apple Red, Natural, Ebony and White. Possibly Ferrari red, I could be wrong, hard to find any info. I pretty much learned to play on this guitar and abused the Kahler like a madman in the 80s-90s.

Broke the headstock in the early 90s (throwing the guitar around my shoulder), repaired it around '95, refinished after that. Came out nice, but it's hard to see that (stamped) serial number now

Got any pics? Love to see them. Here is my '83 CSE Korina Explorer. Bought it new in early '85 from Guitar Center in Arlington Heights, Illinois. No mods, all original factory, save for the strap connector at the neck which needed to be swapped out for a larger diameter one because the factory one's diameter combined with it's weird location continually failed to secure my strap. The replacement stopped that issue .     #80693505  March 10th, 1983 in Nashville

2OU96X4.jpgTMh7vlW.jpg?1Dz8aFYS.jpgEQaq0gB.jpgHD4m8cl.jpg