Gibson Brands Forums

First song you remember liking.

pauloon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a very weird experience........[blink].........

I was trying to remember 'as requested' and can't think of any 'popular music' I particularly liked before either Free's live version of "The Hunter" or "You Wear it Well" by Rod Stewart.

I can't remember which of the two I heard first. YWiW was released in '72 so that means no pop song I heard before then made much of an impression.

My father had around 1,000 'classical' records and these were played pretty much all the time at home.

Bach; Beethoven; Brahms - Uh-Huh. The Beatles - Nope.

P.

I'm going to say the first song I remember liking and finding out who it was has to be Elvis Presley's version of Hound Dog.

My Mom had it at the house in an original 45. I lent it to a friend of mine while in grade school and he stole it claiming it had smashed in his sink... As utterly nonsensical as that sounds...

I was probably 7 or so...

In my teens my first music I liked was either The Doors or The Kinks... I can't remember specific songs hitting home, but I did start buying their music in cassette at that time and those were the first bands I took a shine-to circa 1980/1981 as I recall.

My first concert was The Kinks; in January or February of 1982... They were magnificent!

I got a transistor radio cassette player combo for either my birthday or Christmas @ 11, I think, and those were probably the first cassettes I bought for myself for music a couple years later...

My sister did the 8-track thing previously so I had some of her leftover stuff on 8-track and her player before that. I was younger and by the time I was taking a real interest in music the cassette era was well into it's boom...

On the FM radio I first recall taking interest in listening to the live music on The King Biscuit Flour Hour on that same transistor radio/cassette player combo and The Allman Brothers are my first memory of radio music that grabbed me by the short-hairs and made me take notice!

In the house my Mother had a nearly complete collection of Les Paul and Mary Ford records and my father was into Big Band and Dixieland Jazz. Glenn Miller orchestra and Les Paul records were a staple of my upbringing...

Most likely it was an Elvis Presley song because I remember liking him as a child... Then the Beatles, I Wanna Hold Your Hand and all the rest that followed. A few stick out I remember loving were California Dreamers - Mama's And The Papa's, Hush - Deep Purple, Mellow Yellow - Donavan, Sould Man - Sam & Dave, Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXxZvhxies

Wichita Lineman, (watching the Glenn Campbell show, I was maybe 10, or 11)

choreographer should be shot...

LOL! WOW man! yes! Without question! I think they would call it "justified Homicide"

LOL....I still dance like that.......can't shake the habit...I just thought....this is the way men dance.......must have looked ''odd'' at my first Sabbath gig...

There have been two favorites which I liked the same either. I remember well that their haunting vocal melodies caught my listening. In my opinion, they also gave way for developing my perfect pitch at the age of three to four.

The first one has been Cliff Richard's "Rote Lippen," a German version of his own hit "Lucky Lips" sung by himself, too. And then there was Ben E. King's "Spanish Harlem." I am still in love with the vibraphone playing of the latter, and it still causes me goose pimples and tears in my eyes...

I remember walking around the house as a little kid singing "yea,yea,yea" so the Beatles "She Loves You" I guess. Also remember hearing the original "On Broadway" on the radio of my parents car and thinking it was pretty cool. Forget who originally di it, George Benson did the remake tears later.

I remember really liking baby its you by Promises.

I wouldn't have seen the video as a youngster at the time but now I have it just reinforces what a great set of , uh, lungs she had

A respectable lung capacity is fine for, er, singing... [biggrin]

The Rockford files theme tune.

...isn't, by definition, a song.

:P

I remember learning how to play that! Or at least most of it....lol!

Not sure if it was just a different part of the same tune but FWICanRemember the later series' theme had a different lead 'Break' in it.

Anyone else remember this?

P.

As far as I can remember, it was "Let it be" from Beatles. But not entirely sure, I am getting old...

But I remember the first album I bought was Paul McCartney's "Flowers in the dirt". The second was the Rolling Stones' "Steel Wheels", which I think, is their most refined album.

Cheers... Bence

Well,, other than the stuff my parents were playing at the time(I kinda liked some of it).

As a kid I always loved Riders on the Storm.

Although the first 45 I ever bought myself was Live and Let Die, because of the movie of course.

I was 12.

Sorry,, I just realized... some of you don't know what a 45 is.

"Good Luck Charm" recorded by Elvis Presley.

I think I bought it (first 45 I bought) because Elvis' hair looked perfect on the photo on the front. But not a bad three chord song with cool background vocals from the Jordanaires.

A few years later Cliff Richards recorded "Lucky Lips" which was a big hit in England, and part of the lyric is "don't need a four leaf clover, rabbit's foot, or a good luck charm -with lucky lips you'll always have a baby in your arms".

Elvis's hit said "don't want a four leaf clover, don't want an ol horshoe, want your kiss cause I just can't miss with a good luck charm like you" then "don't want a silver dollar, a rabbit's foot on a string, happiness and your warm caress no rabbit's foot can bring"

So the lyrics are a little plageristic, but since they were recorded on oppostie sides of the pond, and both were hits and made people money no law suits occured that I am aware of.

Hmm.. man I cant even remember..

I think I have always liked music.. Apparently when I was a baby and my mum wanted to keep me busy while she was say doing the house work she used to sit me in front of classical music which she says used to mesmerise me...

As far as stuff that I wanted to listen to.. I think it must have been something from the Muppets :).. They had some great music (and yes I had the album on vinyl).

I still know all the words to this one ;)

Archived