Gibson Brands Forums

First song you remember liking.

pauloon

Certain songs come to mind that got my attention... in somewhat chronological order, prior to age 13.

Loves Letters In The Sand, Pat Boone (My older cousin had the 45, lol.)

Lemon Tree, Trini Lopez

Some Peter Paul and Mary song

Love Me Do, Beatles

Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison

Hang On Sloopy, The McCoys

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were probably others earlier but the one that stands out to me is Whole lotta love, Zep. I was about 10 or 11 years old at the time. I wanted to learn guitar after that.

Yeah, when it comes to Rock music that I didn't really get into until I was about 14, the solo to Stairway to Heaven (and the song in general) is what made me want an electric guitar..

Yeah, when it comes to Rock music that I didn't really get into until I was about 14, the solo to Stairway to Heaven (and the song in general) is what made me want an electric guitar..

Still love that solo. I play most of it but never took the time to master it. Gotta change that. After seeing and hearing Jimmy Page playing a LP, it was all I ever wanted. Only got the real thing about 4 years ago at 47 years old. Could never really afford it before. Now I have a small herd of fine guitars and love every one of them.

I think about when I first saw Beatles on Ed Sullivan and I was hooked. I couldn't listen to it enough. My sister bought the first Beatles 45's and I listened to those early summer of 1964.The best music I ever heard.

But in maybe November of 1964 I bought my first 45.

It was "Oh Pretty Women" by Roy Orbison. [thumbup]

It was probably something from George Sheering (Blind Jazz Pianist), because that's what my Dad introduced me to. Maybe Jumpin' with Symphony Sid or I'll be Around. Too long ago to really remember. I used to sit next to the old console stereo in the livving room and listem for hours.

The First, guitar related? That would be the "James Bond Theme"

from the first "Bond" Film, "Dr. No" [biggrin] Or, possibly,

anything "The Ventures" did. From there, is snowballed!!

CB

Among guitar instrumentals, "The Swinging Creeper" by The Ventures is one of my favorites since my younger days.

At this point I hope Pauloon won't be too disappointed - the rubbish probability claimed in the topic description seems considerably small to me. [tongue]

[biggrin]

No not at all CAP...one of the reasons I started the thread.....A/..I had just heard Freddie on the radio and I was wondering,..as most of us on here pay ''homage'' to the blues,B/..how many of us remember a ''true'' blues track as our first recollection of a song we like/liked?....i'm talking around the ages of.....well,say under ten.

Yep....even Freddies songs ok....if you ''blank'' the video!

All good memories,i remember lots of these songs.....

Of course it would all boil down to your ''access'' to music at an early age,my mum always had the radio on,so all I heard was ''chart hits'......My son on the other hand was listening to Free in the ''womb'....

He entered the world not crying but uttering........They call me the hunter...........

[biggrin] .

This is the sort of thing..........before you even knew what ''music'' was/is/meant/made...

Cool.

You hit the nail on the head. [thumbup]

At the age of three I performed "Spanish Harlem" without knowing anything about English, and at the age of four I reproduced the German lyrics of "Rote Lippen" including Cliff Richard's accent. I did all of this in an onomatopoetic way, without having any clue what family and friends were amused about. [blush]

After destroying all my dad's 78 rpm records in a wardrobe scaling accident, the likes of Django Reinhardt, Fats Waller, Earl Bostic and tons of other priceless stuff. My father decided that the new vinyl 45 rpm singles were the way to go and collected quite a few.

Being very young, around 6 years old I had not come to terms with the changeable speed function on the new hi fi system and I kept the speed setting on 78 rpm and played all the new 45 rpm records at the faster speed. most of which sounded rubbish....except for one. A record by a lady singer with the most alluring voice...the song was "passing strangers" and the lady was "Billy Eckstine".

I remember when my dad played the record at 45 rpm instead of 78 how crestfallen I felt, almost like the time I was told there was no Father Christmas, (actually I felt at 21 years old they had left it rather late to tell me). The dulcet soprano I thought was the perfect female voice turned out to be some old geezer with a deep tenor.Life has been a panoply of continuous disappointments ever since. Pah!

I seriously don't believe anyone can remember what they did when they were 4.

I sure as hell can't.

I did the twist when I was 2,, but I only know that because my parents told me.

I remember when my dad played the record at 45 rpm instead of 78 how crestfallen I felt, almost like the time I was told there was no Father Christmas, (actually I felt at 21 years old they had left it rather late to tell me). The dulcet soprano I thought was the perfect female voice turned out to be some old geezer with a deep tenor.Life has been a panoply of continuous disappointments ever since. Pah!

There have been cutting events and enduring habits when I was three to four which I clearly remember although I understood it all much later.

Sometimes I wished I could forget easier. It seems to depend on my particular physiology - I am a fast acetylizer and have a low latent inhibition. Consequences are that the endorphine in my blood is by nature heroin since it's diacetyl morphine, and that boredom is simply unknown to me. There always is something interesting to perceive.

Archived