Gibson Brands Forums

Pilot dies in flight.

LarryUK

BBC News

After seeing this on today's news it got me wondering if anyone else has had a near death experience or a close call. Have you?

I remember as a youth I was with two 'skinheads' and another gang came up to us and one of the ones I was with got stabbed. I've never ran so quick. He was ok, but It was a real fright.

BBC News

After seeing this on today's news it got me wondering if anyone else has had a near death experience or a close call. Have you?

I remember as a youth I was with two 'skinheads' and another gang came up to us and one of the ones I was with got stabbed. I've never ran so quick. He was ok, but It was a real fright.

Not myself, but I've almost killed myself in industrial type mishaps on more than one occasion, only to emerge unscathed...

Reading your story reminds me of one of my best friends who is from Chesterfield UK that I commune with daily across the pond via the internet... He tells a very similar story of his youth in England... You guys got it rougher there than the majority of us Yanks whom have had the luxury of growing-up in relatively suburban and even rural communities here in The US...

I've had several "close calls" over the years, but have been fortunate to get out unscathed. One in particular I remember vividly.

I jumped on the back of a friends motorcycle to take a quick ride somewhere and he decided to started racing our other friend on his bike. From the back I could see we got up to over 90MPH on a side road. His bike was an enduro type with knobby tires, so it was not gripping the road as he tried to brake before coming to the intersection of a major road. As we approached the intersection it seemed like slow motion, but I could see that if he stopped trying to brake and "punched it" we would probably slip right between the cross traffic. Luckily he saw the same thing I saw and he let off the brake and hit the throttle. One second sooner or later and we would have been plowed! [scared] It was summer so we were in just shorts and tank top, but did wear helmets. I shudder to think what our bodies would have looked like if we hadn't made it through... [unsure]

I am afraid to say so but I have had a few times where I should have not made it

Working construction for over 45 years <mostly high rise buildings> I have fallen many times.

At the time it was called the El Rancho hotel where I fell 18 feet and landed on an iron beam.

Then I fell at the Union Plaza hotel, about 22 feet.

But the worst was at the Flamingo Hilton hotel where I fell one time 32 feet, and then the kicker is where I was working the flying forms, and I fell 76 feet.

That was the fall that should have killed me. The fall crushed 5 vertebre in my back, requiring 5 back surgeries and full spinal fusion.

That was in 1981, and to this day, I am still living on huge amounts of pain pills just to get through the day.

And it was true for me, that you hear your life flashes before your eyes, as it did for me in that fall.

Yup.. In 2010 or 2011 (cant quite remember now) my appendix exploded... I was literally just a few hours away from kicking it..

I remember when I was just about to go in for the operation thinking, crap, I may actually never wake up again... but its not like I had any choice in the matter...

Was the most painful experience of my life so far.

The only other time I was close is when I had a nasty car incident.. I was driving up the motorway and the exhaust of the car came off and jammed in one of the back wheels which sent my car into a skid with trucks all around me etc... I managed to control it (by some miracle) and avoid the other vehicles on the motorway.. but man, that was a case of I thought it was over in those few seconds it all happened in. I could easily have flipped that car or a truck could have hit me.

Wow, some of you guys have had a seriously rough time.

Last summer I was doing a lot of cross country trips for the job I was working. One day there was torrential rain and my car lost grip around a blind corner. I ended up spinning around the corner and into a hedge. Luckily the car that was approaching from the other way stopped before it went into me. The car and I escaped unscathed, and my parents still don't know (it's their car).

Summer 1954 - as a 3 year old I was run over by a car (tire tracks across my hips)

Fractured skull, concussion, fractured pelvis, 2 broken hips, lost all of my fingernails. - 45 days in the hospital

Spring of 1961 - fell off of a 40 foot cliff.

concussion, bumps and bruises - 2 weeks in the hospital

2005 - cerebral Aneurism 1 week icu 1 week regular hospital bed - 2 months off work

other than that I'm just fine!

I was a houseboy at a sorority in Fayetteville, Arkansas in January 1981, and a guy forced his way into the sorority house with a shotgun with the intention of taking hostages. He was pissed off because this girl wouldn't go out with him. Someone had called the police because they saw him walking with a shot gun and so police were there right before he arrived. He had one policemen disarmed and on the ground when I walked into the foyer where they were not knowing the situation. I was waved away by another policeman, gun drawn, standing in the hall way out of sight from the potential gunman. I went to main dinning room to tell people that there was a guy with a gun in the house. I was on the other side of the doorway when the guy kicked it in and pointed the shotgun at my chest and yelled "Freeze!". At the same instant, the policeman hidden in the hallway shot him in the head. I reacted by reflexly hunching over quickly. Luckily his reflexes didn't cause him to fire the shotgun or else I wouldn't be writing about this experience. I doubt I would have survived a close range shotgun blast to my sternum.

I ran out of the house hurdling over people crouched down. I don't even remember doing it. I just remember reacting to the shot, then finding myself outside.

The guy died and I remember him lying in the hall with blood streaming from his head. People criticized the campus police for the shooting. I supported them, big time.

here's a link describing it. 4th one down. The hostages he referred to were the police on the ground. I only remember 1. http://www.columbine-angels.com/School_Violence_1980-1981.htm

I think that anyone reaching age 40 is fairly likely to have similar tales.

Life is interesting, and I think "we" regardless of television thrillers, actually do encounter such excitement. Actually I've been less concerned about firearms pointed at me at close range or bullets headed my direction than a flight I once took of 100 yards/meters or so in a car late one night. Luck or whatever was with me.

But it's also my observation that we often are far closer to our own demise regularly in situations we don't even recognize 99.999 percent of the time. It's only when a few inches of space disappear that the dance begins.

A good example? I was called to do photos of a fatal car wreck. It was some 30 degrees below zero F which is about the same celsius. The "Interstate" four-lane highway was covered in ice; the wind was blowing some 30 miles per hour across the roadway. I drove my big old Jeep at 30-35 miles per hour to the scene of the incident.

When finished, I asked the officer in charge of the scene if he might need anything special. He said no, but asked me to look in his car. His radar showed oncoming traffic from both directions was averaging 75 to 80 miles per hour (120 to 130 kph roughly) on that glare ice with the crosswind.

Had one of those cars or trucks left the road aimed at us, neither the ambulance nor fire trucks nor "fuzzmobiles" would have done us any good.

And the drivers obviously were clueless regardless of seeing all that rescue equipment and a shattered mini-van in the median between lanes.

m

at 12 I was temporarily paralyzed under water from striking my head on the bottom of a swimming pool.....luckily someone saw it happen and brought me out, then ran to get my parents.

at 14 I was put into a coma w/a fractured skull and mild brain injury being thrown from a horse into a barn support pole.

at 22 my heart stopped for over 40 seconds from substance abuse.

electrocuted at 29.

i'm "lucky to be here" many times over.

Archived