Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson makes great guitars...

btoth76

Hello!

I have recently made minor modifications to my L6S and to my Les Paul Classic Custom guitars.

Let me start with the most surprising thing. Probably, none of You ever thought about it! Change the chickenhead knob on the L6S from stock black to cream, and hear the difference! It opens up the tone like nothing else. Stop wasting money on caps, aftermarket pickups! This cheap mod will bring back the classic Gibson tones we are all after. ;)

HPIM4529_zps57d7b3e6.jpg

...and this is mainly for You, Donny!

The GFS ABR-1 conversion on my Classic Custom. Retainer wire unit, with brass saddles. Stock sleeves and thumbwheels.

HPIM4448_zps4a4b85f2.jpg

HPIM4517_zps585d19d5.jpg

Cheers... Bence

As far as the ABR-1 goes, Bence;

Is it to make the LPCC more 'Classic' in looks?

P.

Hello Pippy.

After reading all these discussions, I became very curious about them. It was an inexpensive modification that can be reversed anytime, so I gave it a try.

The good thing about it, that it's narrower than the Nashville unit, so I could lower the tailpiece without the strings touching the rear edge of the bridge. It increased the sustain a bit (noticable during high fret vibratoes/bends). The price was the increase of the brightness of the instrument.

...and yes, I think it looks better. :)

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Bence, I'm curious to know how you find that L6S. I presume it is one of the original series?

For some reason, those guitars have just passed me by but your post made me look them up and (original series) look very interesting to me with those switching options.

Hello Pin!

No, it's a 2011 Reissue. Well...not even a reissue. It has a wide 70s style headstock, instead of the original's snakehead shaped. It is made with baked maple fretboard (which I like so much).

It's a very good guitar! Great for those, who finds a Les Paul heavy and cumbersome. It has excellent fret access to all 24 frets, a very comfortable neck profile with volute. Also, it's thinner and has a more ergonomically shaped, all-maple body. It's a little bit neck-heavy, but it's not disturbing at all.

However, the switching options are different from the original's Bill Lawrence wiring. This one has the following settings: humbuckers each and both, fat coil-tap each and both pickups. Still, it has very nice and usable tonal variations.

I bought it from UK, last December. It is unused and in perfect condition. Came with a hardcase for the price of a LP Tribute!

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence :) I found the Kluson vintage set in nickel with conversion studs under a hundred US dollars. Im going to try it.

Hello Donny!

You are welcome!

The one I put on the CC is this: http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Gibson-fit-Nickel-Tuneomatic-Bridge-BRASS-Saddles-OUR-BEST_p_4229.html

50 USD, and very well-made.

Cheers... Bence

Change the chickenhead knob on the L6S from stock black to cream, and hear the difference! It opens up the tone like nothing else. Stop wasting money on caps, aftermarket pickups! This cheap mod will bring back the classic Gibson tones we are all after. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Pure genius!!

And I'm with you on the darker tones. I'm going to replace all my pick guards asap.

I only ever did that to one of my Gibsons.. which is my 2008 Standard.. For some reason I just knew it had to have the black plastic bits.. I changed the Trussrod cover to a blank one, put on black speed knobs and pickup rings and removed the toggle switch ring and replaced the tip with a black one.

DSC01188-1.jpg

hey Bence,

I bet if you change that pick gaurd out, it will change the tone of the LP too

People just don't hear these differences,, but I do...

oh yes,

I do..

I put a gold anodised aluminium pickguard on my 57 RI precision and heard a slight difference. The previous owner had replaced the original pickguard with a plastic black one

DSC_10631_zpsb40bdd0f.jpg

DSC01188-1.jpg

Hello!

As it seems, the color contrast of the body and the plastics is what makes the whole instrument look "right".

The darker guitars look better with cream, light and natural ones with black plastics.

Cheers... Bence

I think it is important to post our modifications to let Gibson see them. I think this is the reason for the switch to orange drops. Enough of their customers were doing it so that must be what we want.

In the age of the internet customer feedback is an easy job for companies.

It's too bad though that one guy whippin' a dead horse can't make 'em put out a Danny Kirwan signature R6... [woot]

I guess I'll just have to get a customized truss-rod cover engraved with his name and put it on an R6... [cool]

Prolly cheaper that way anyhow...

Archived