Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Ebony Studio finish........

zippy

I have a 2006 Ebony Studio that has me baffeled as far as the discoloration where my arm rests on the butt of the guitar. It has turned to a somewhat "milky" black finish in that spot. All the rest of the finish is fine, and I do clean after using before putting back in case.

I have a 2006 Ebony SG Standard........no issues with discoloration

I have a 2007 Ebony SG Classic.......no issues

I have a 2004 Ibannez Iceman IC 400 in Ebony........no issues.

Is it somthing in the finish or what????????

This is going to sound odd, but have you switched to an antiperspirant? That's what I use and I find the stuff comes off of my armpit and goops up the top of the guitar, all of them - Gibson, Fender, etc.. You can use a good guitar cleaner and polish to get it off.

No, have'nt switched. The color is actually in the finish now and won't clean off with any polish, or cleaners. It's weird. I thought maybe it was where I would sweat, but even that should clean off, but won't.

Hey Zippy, I have an 2007 Ebony LP Standard and have had no problems with the finish thus far... it's possible that it could be a problem with the nitro, though. Hopefully other forum members will be able to help you more than I can. :) Good luck, and awesome signature by the way!

Hey Zippy' date=' I have an 2007 Ebony LP Standard and have had no problems with the finish thus far... it's possible that it could be a problem with the nitro, though. Hopefully other forum members will be able to help you more than I can. :) Good luck, and awesome signature by the way![/quote']

Thanks bro. I'm pretty certain somebody here will, way too much knowledge floatin' around here.....

I have the same guitar in same color,does same thing.Only thing I found to clean it is virtuosa cleaner and polish.Look it up ,.Its $10 for the cleaner,$10 for the polish,you'll need to use both first time,and from then on just the polish for touching it up now and then.I bought mine at guitar center.I don't know if guitar center has it available from there online site or not,I bought mine at the store itself.You can order it from the virtuoso company online or check guitar center.I swear this will solve your dilema

I have the same issue with my Heritage Cherry. It is the sweat from you arm where it rests against the top of the guitar. It comes off, but you need the virtuoso cleaner and polish. It's just buildup and nothing to be worried about.

I have the same issue with my Heritage Cherry. It is the sweat from you arm where it rests against the top of the guitar. It comes off' date=' but you need the virtuoso cleaner and polish. It's just buildup and nothing to be worried about. [/quote']

Yea,and my wife made me a sleeve to slide on my arm where it rests on the guitar body for when I play with short sleeve shirts.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm definately going to check out the Virtuoso.

....I kept thinking how the hell my deoderant was running down to my inner forearm. I sweat' date=' but not like that[/quote']

Perhaps it is caused by that big roll of fat on your arm that you call a bicep :-$

Archived