Gibson Brands Forums

Hear original: IS THERE ANY WAY

livemusic

If you like this song, please let me know. Trying to get a feel for how well this 'protest' song is received. Last night at the studio here in Nashville, the tv screen headlines during recording were "30,000 Troops At Ukraine Border." Apropos angst for this song.

This was just recorded, has not been mixed, nor mastered.

Sorry, not a Gibson this time. This is me playing Martin D-41; the other guitar is a Yamaha classical guitar.

EDIT: SORRY, LINK REMOVED, WORKING ON THIS SONG SOME MORE.

I get what you are saying in the song, and for the most part agree. But I don't think it will ever be a hit. Too much apathy on the part of the public, and too much control of the media by the current regime to ever get much airplay. [crying]

I am 60 years old, having a 'hit' is not in the cards, lol. Just considering it for my own album. And not having a 'hit' does not invalidate a song. Out of all recorded songs in any given year, only a tiny portion are 'hits.' Thanks for listening and replying, appreciated.

I love listening to original music and kudos to you for recording it and letting people listen.

I know it's not mixed and mastered but it sounds like it is. Excellent recording. Nice mix for an unmixed song.

I read the words first and knew that when you wrote them you were passionate about it with strong emphasis being conveyed with the use of certain words. The music is very pleasant. So pleasant that to me, there is a disconnect. If I heard the track without lyrics and hadn't seen the words, I would have thought it was going to be a love song or a pensive song about reflecting on an occurrence, like Fire and Rain. Since I read the words first, I thought it was going to be a harder song for lack of a better term, even though I knew it was acoustic.

Anyway keep it up, you have something to say and the music is very good.

It reminds me somewhat of a song in a similar style, Pink Floyd's "Us and Them." In both songs the music is deceptively soothing, considering the lyrics. What the Floyd song does better is the use of metaphor and imagery rather than directly stating what the author thinks. Imagery engages the listener more fully than direct language, where a concrete statement has one meaning a image may have many layered thoughts and meanings.

Your piece does employ some imagery, just as the Floyd piece does have some concrete statements, a few concrete statements help guide the listener to the hidden meanings, too much imagery can make a lyric indecipherable.

For instance, "Forward he cried from the rear" from the PF tune. It is imagery. We can see a meaning that he is a military leader, that he is cowardly directing his soldiers forward from a safe distance, that leading from the rear is stupid and contrary to the very term "Lead" which implies following someone in the front. Then we have the concrete statement "and the front rank died". Not much question about what the author thinks, yet it is presented as a statement of fact, allowing us to make our own conclusions.

I love your music. It's the type of thing I like to listen to, but I think your lyrics are a bit too up front and would benefit from the use of more imagery.

Archived