Gibson Brands Forums

Played a J-29 and J-100 today

EuroAussie

No need to shake the head. can you qualify what you mean? You're speaking in terms of unrelated variables totally open to contextual understanding and declaring it as if it were factually (or even firmly) based. It isn't...

Take your ad-man hat off for a sec and qualify it. It can't be done. I just want you to admit its silly then I'll leave you alone about it. ;)

There is no point PM, because you will never get it. Or maybe one day you will.

I need to practice for a gig tonite now anyway, work on those dark chocolatey feeling overtones for the slower numbers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no point PM, because you will never get it. Or maybe one day you will.

No I do get it Aussie, I do... It's the kind of speak you used to hear in guitar stores before the Internet when groups of dads huddled in guitar stores backslapping each other by making up endless ridiculous examples of this in a quest to make them seem more nuanced. It doesn't, it just reeks of bs.... Chocolate sounds of nothing. No amount of arguing the case will change that fact, therefore the correlation is of absolutely zero value and only serves to puzzle people further. It's the kind of chat that many would dismiss as posturing.

No I do get it Aussie, I do... It's the kind of speak you used to hear in guitar stores before the Internet when groups of dads huddled in guitar stores backslapping each other by making up endless ridiculous examples of this in a quest to make them seem more nuanced. It doesn't, it just reeks of bs.... Chocolate sounds of nothing. No amount of arguing the case will change that fact, therefore the correlation is of absolutely zero value and only serves to puzzle people further. It's the kind of chat that many would dismiss as posturing.

So you freely admit that such phrasing and descriptions are common place on guitar forums and guitar shops. Hence that means they are freely used within those who play guitar, which implies its a mainstream phrase common to many - hence its actually you that is the odd one out rather than common group.

Dont take up a job as a barrister PM, you would just shoot yourself in the foot mate.

Oh, ouch.... Haha

No, EA, it's common place (perhaps) from those posturing and talking Shite in an attempt to sound well versed, nuanced, knowledgable even ..although it backfires somewhat as it makes any sensible sort wonder wtf they think they're talking about. I've never heard a really serious player use such a term.

However, we're still dodging the question, what type of chocolate? ..and can you provide a sound sample of this chocolatey audio? Like I said earlier you're implying a specific to something that isn't even defined? Does your guitar sound like a cheap bar of Milka or like a Belgian 85% cocoa type chocolate? One would be cheap tasting and leave you sticky and kind of throaty, the other could be quite sharp and even bitter, which are we talking about.

Dads huddled in guitar shops are not mainstream, man, they're quite often just lonely souls trying to find some mates while the mrs is spending their wages in Primark.

Nah, nah PM .. the question has been answered, and trying to divert by asking what 'type' of chocolate is a pretty obvious and rookie tactic.

Im sorry but this contest is over, its clear that the phrasing is common place and broad, with a few detractors.

I dont need to explain myself any further, case has been presented, jury made their decision, Im happy with the verdict.

Oh, ouch.... Haha

No, EA, it's common place (perhaps) from those posturing and talking Shite in an attempt to sound well versed, nuanced, knowledgable even ..although it backfires somewhat as it makes any sensible sort wonder wtf they think they're talking about. I've never heard a really serious player use such a term.

However, we're still dodging the question, what type of chocolate? ..and can you provide a sound sample of this chocolatey audio? Like I said earlier you're implying a specific to something that isn't even defined? Does your guitar sound like a cheap bar of Milka or like a Belgian 85% cocoa type chocolate? One would be cheap tasting and leave you sticky and kind of throaty, the other could be quite sharp and even bitter, which are we talking about.

Dads huddled in guitar shops are not mainstream, man, they're quite often just lonely souls trying to find some mates while the mrs is spending their wages in Primark.

Nah, nah PM .. the question has been answered, and trying to divert by asking what 'type' of chocolate is a pretty obvious and rookie tactic.

Im sorry but this contest is over, its clear that the phrasing is common place and broad, with a few detractors.

I dont need to explain myself any further, case has been presented, jury made their decision, Im happy with the verdict.

Declaring yourself a winner is not actually winning EA. You're on the ropes now mate... I'm losing respect for your stance if you won't engage.

What does chocolate sound like?

How can you use a generic term such as chocolate to define an audio response? If you admit you just like the sound of such patter I'll accept it, I'll still think it's total bull but I'll accept it. If you're going to run away declaring yourself a winner and hiding from the open questions you're completely defeated.

Come on man, clear up this mystery for us, demonstrate this chocolatey. Conversely can I describe my chocolate bars as resonant, growly and with a thumpy bass? Prey do tell

Done. Case is closed PM, party over ... everyone go home now. Im off to play a few syrupy numbers folks.

Declaring yourself a winner is not actually winning EA. You're on the ropes now mate... I'm losing respect for your stance if you won't engage.

What does chocolate sound like?

How can you use a generic term such as chocolate to define an audio response? If you admit you just like the sound of such patter I'll accept it, I'll still think it's total bull but I'll accept it. If you're going to run away declaring yourself a winner and hiding from the open questions you're completely defeated.

Come on man, clear up this mystery for us, demonstrate this chocolatey. Conversely can I describe my chocolate bars as resonant, growly and with a thumpy bass? Prey do tell

ok what about sparkly? thats a common term used to describe taylor guitars and the way they sound. Is that invalid? in a literal sense the guitar isnt shiny or anything, thats how it sounds. but it makes plenty of sense to most people. i do agree chocolatey might be a little out there, but i know i understand what he meant

PM ! we all know you enjoy a looong direct written dogfite and in my recollection if often falls up to weekend-start.

Is the Scotch open, , if yes, is it good. I know what you prefer and like to avoid or tease, but let me tell you.

You just wouldn't get a leg down in a real band or in a studio with that attitude - are you aware of that. And it isn't about chocolate or wine in red and white and blue colors.

Good pal, , , it's about you just not wanting to play, , , or rather wanting to play on a different wavelength.

Call it choice - call it limitation. It's all a matter of what your radio takes and doesn't. . .

Go out and paint the town now - come home safe - but don't return tellin' a town can't be painted. . .

Cheeeeers

Hey, EA threw out the bait in the OP... I'm just giving him what he wants by playing along. Could I care less what terms people use? No not really.... Do I enjoy a wee rib with one of the people I speak to on/off of here? Hell yeah... Would I laugh at someone for saying chocolatey? Definitely... It's ridiculous. If mark doesn't mind being ridiculous on this one why should it bother me?

I love a wee jibe back n forth, I'm the resident evil banker after all. Every story needs a foe we should remember. But don't say I didn't tell you that people will laugh behind your back if you go around using crazy patter to try and qualify yourself.

Whatever. . .

No art demonstrating we come from different worlds, , , I mean the whole Board-bunch.

But most of us tune 440 hertz to get the music goin'.

Ever tried to bring up the difference between Sartre and Kierkegaard in the asphalt-workers lunch-break. .

Whatever. . .

No art demonstrating we come from different worlds, , , I mean the whole Board-bunch.

But most of us tune 440 hertz to get the music goin'.

Ever tried to bring up the difference between Sartre and Kierkegaard in the asphalt-workers lunch-break. .

Are you smoking pot or quoting from songs that never charted?

Hey, I'm lining up a two for the price of one here, don't go sensible on me now. ;)

To tell you the truth I been singing all day - and I sang loud and wild, , , , real loud'n'wild, you wouldn't believe it.

In fact I'm still high, , , and now the ol' monk is gettin' tired too. . .

Did I miss the peak of the party ... ?

Not sure if PM had something to do to inspire me, but tonight we probably just had the greatest gig of all time, maybe it was because of the honey glazed tones of the Humminbird mesmerising the audience with its lavender overtones..

Not sure if PM had something to do to inspire me, but tonight we probably just had the greatest gig of all time, maybe it was because of the honey glazed tones of the Humminbird mesmerising the audience with its lavender overtones..

You should put something on your gig posters EA

' no one goes home hungry '

Sorry can't come to the bar tonight , those two are playing and I'm on a diet.

LOL. Write that after a lot of double shots, bigman?

Are you smoking pot or quoting from songs that never charted?

No he's talking about writers...of those strange things made of paper. Some call them books. And what you're doing at this point is arguing for the sake of it. I get it. Over on the audiophile forums, guys describe things -- usually things with objectively inferior performance -- as more "musical." It's an a attempt to establish the superiority of something that is not, by any known metric. But this is not that. It's just playing with language to try to make it more vivid. Advertising? Probably closer to literature. Let me break it down for you: chocalate is dark. relating that to tone, I get deep, warm...or if you must be literal, an emphasis on the lower mid range (must get it right. A guitar doesn't have any real bass). Ther, in the simplest form, we just made it work. It wasn't hard. The gentleman is using metaphorical language, and I suspect you got it right off but just want to debate.

P

Archived