Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J35

benc

I just orderd a j35 and the low e string is 6/64ths and the high e is 2/64ths from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. Capo on the first fret and hold the 14th fret the fingerboard is 0 clearance.

It looks like some file marks on the extreme end of the bridge and one of the pins looks like it has been buggerd up a little. I would like to know your thoughts on the setup as well as the other issues.

Thanks for any help

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/doiou2_photos/gibson%20J35/20140327_084708.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/doiou2_photos/gibson%20J35/gibson3.png

Thanks for the help guys, I might get in touch with the online dealer and request another guitar. I posted a couple more pics. What do you think about the gap behind the saddle?

Which fret are you taking your measurement from? Not sure if they've changed recently or not but the specs used to be 6/64" on the bass string and 4/64" on the treble at the 12th fret. When you say that there were file marks on the bridge, do you mean the saddle or the actual bridge? How bad is the pin? Minor damage can take place on a plastic pin just by taking it out. I wouldn't worry much about the pin unless it's really bad. If you ordered the guitar new from a dealer you might want to call them and see if they'd send you a new pin.

Thanks for the repply, It's not bad on the pin, the end of the saddle itself had been filed,that along with the pin made me think it might have been sold and returned and resold.I never thought they had done a set up before they shipped it.I am asking this because I know nothing about doing the set up, I had read somewhere to use a quarter at the 12th fret and this is a lot higher than a quarter(coin)

Also the saddle is leaning forward and has a good size gap behind it.

If you're unhappy with it, return it to the dealer and tell them you want a different J35. At our local GC, there are currently two J35s (as of about six days ago). I've spent at least an hour playing them and have not noticed anything that would make me question if they've been altered/changed. Both are set-up very nicely, at least for my hands. They are definitely nice guitars. I'd let the dealer know what you are telling us.......Let us know what you find out. You shouldn't have these issues with a new guitar. [thumbup]

I like 6/64" on the bass E string 12th fret and 4/64" treble E. Just a shade of relief on the neck. If you bought it locally, I'd bring it back and have it checked out or set up to your preferences. If you had it shipped to you, I'd send it back on their dime. Mine came to me with the above setup from the factory.

Where did you get it? If GC, from my experience they will re-sell a previously owned guitar returned within 30 days as 'new' in a heartbeat at a slightly discounted price. Just had it happen recently with a J-35 I ordered from a GC in TN that was obviously sold, returned, and re-sold. But the guitar I received had more issues than yours. It arrived without the pickguard protective cover and strum marks on the pickguard and top; it was missing the standard 'care package' that Gibson supplies in the case consisting of new strings, leather key chain and other goodies; there was a pick lying by itself in the case compartment; action was way too low and creating buzzing...discovered the nut slots had been filed and butchered; the saddle had been lowered and had a horizontal pencil line guide near the bottom (which Gibson never does); the truss rod cover had been replaced; the back seam was beginning to separate; and it sounded terrible, much like a $99 laminate. Someone did a real hack job on it.

Long story short, I returned it to my local GC and ended up with a superb and truly new J-35 that I got a cost a few days later. Wonderful guitar and definitely new upon receipt. Perfect setup, fantastic tone, balance, volume & projection. Excellent build quality and perfectly clean inside with no excess glue anywhere.

Ben, I hope you get your issue worked out on a positive 'note'. Sounds like yours may have followed the same sold-returned-re-sold path as the first one I received with someone messing with the action themself. As mentioned, the saddle should definitely NOT have a gap between the saddle and slot. It should be a snug fit with no wobble.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

DC

Thanks for all the help, looks like I have hacked this thread up pretty bad the way I have posted. I posted a couple of pics at the top of this page in the original post. What do you think of the gap behind the saddle?This was sold as brand new.

there was a pick lying by itself in the case compartment;

There should be a single Gibson guitar pick in the case of all new guitars. It's the pick that they use during final inspection. They leave it in the case as a keepsake, since it was the first pick used on your new Gibson.

Thanks for all the help, looks like I have hacked this thread up pretty bad the way I have posted. I posted a couple of pics at the top of this page in the original post. What do you think of the gap behind the saddle?This was sold as brand new.

I dont think I would be to cocerned with behind the saddle... the fingerboard is where you need to focus on... the string from pin to saddle height is based on the neck angle..

Swap it out if you can. The whole guitar, not the saddle.

I have made arrangements for it to be sent it back for a replacement j35. I will post how things turn out. Thanks everyone for the help.

Every time I read one of these J-35 lemon posts I get creeped out and re-examine mine. Over on AGF a guy had one that needed a neck reset to fix. Mine is 3/64ths on the high E string at the 12th fret and 4/64ths on the low E string. I count myself fortunate that it all seems to be in good order. I'm glad to see you sent yours back for a replacement. Hope you get a nice one this time.

Erik

a little info for every1 concerning the film on the j35 pg.

Mine arrived when I purchased it without the film on it. I called Gibson and was informed that when they first came out most of them did not have the plastic film on the pg. I also was concerned about a return and Gibson said they did not have the film on it when they first came out. not sure why but still a great guitar.

Archived