Gibson Brands Forums

My new SJ-200

Larry W

Here is my new 2014 SJ-200. I got it 2 weeks ago today. I have lots of guitars, mostly electric. But I had been lusting for a J-200 for over 30 years. I retired from live gigging in May of 2012. (Glad I did that after 40 years.) I told my wife that I wanted to sell off some stuff and get a new Martin D-45 and a new Gibson SJ-200.

So I had some played tested for me at several Gibson dealers around the country. There is no Gibson dealer near me other than a new GC that has nothing like this. I finally settled on this baby from Sweetwater.

I have Historic Les Pauls and 335s, Custom Shop Fenders, PRS, etc.........but nothing has excited me like this J-200 does. I had not touched a guitar since September of 2012. I had really, really burned out. I had been playing live gigs continuously since 1978. I even had to play a gig on the night of the day I got married.

Anyway, I just had to share this. It is amazing what an inspiration a great new instrument can be. I want to play again!!

IMG_0980_zps16d5ad79.jpg

IMG_0985_zpsbaad1fa5.jpg

It's obviously a gorgeous bit of art even were it to have glued-down strings.

The 200 isn't in my personal physical geometry comfort level - not sure why - but the things have an incredible rep of doing anything at all for those who are comfortable with them. I look back at the Everlys and Gary Davis and... Yup, set up for your style of playing, it can do just about anything one would want.

Enjoy.

OTOH, you might also wish to try something like an ES175 or similar 16-inch jazz box. They're rather close in size to a classical guitar and I find mine - several - to almost wish to play themselves with my general choice of strings. Your "style" of playing and appreciating music may differ, of course.

Yeah, I think all of us can get burned out on a given lifestyle on occasion. Been there, done that.

m

Welcome.

It was a pleasure to read about your excitement over your new J-200. She's beautiful. Gorgeous flame on the back.

Great looking burst along with the burst on the back of the neck - very nice. I also like the darkness of the fretboard.

Congrats, and enjoy. . B)

Welcome to the forum. This is one fine guitar and I love the two band bridge. Very sweet indeed.

Glad you are playing again and just so you know, you have the "King Of The Flat-Tops" to start with. Excellent choice for sure.

Larry, sounds to me like you did exactly what you needed to - a year and a half sabbatical, and then get what many think is the epitome of guitars. Probably the one selected most often by successful musicians across the years and oceans. Mine is 10 years old, and it is still my favorite. Yes, it's larger than the average bear - not suited for cuddling on the couch - but if you wanted small, you would have taken up the ukelele, Am I right?

They've got depth, character, playability and, of course. The Wow Factor!

So,.. Welcome, Congratulations, Enjoy!

Thanks again guys!

As much as the J200 appealed to me, I was worried about the Emmylou and Jimmy Dickens comparisons. Then Vince Gill started playing one a few years back and that did it.

The sustain is amazing. Sometimes I will just pluck a string to listen to how ling it rings. Very piano and bell like tones....wow! And when I'm not playing it, it is joy to look at....true art.

I can see this one being around for a long, long time.

Regarding the J200-----------Fans and players of it include--------George Harrison, Bob Dylan (look at the Nashville Skyline Album. Dylan has a J200), Pete Townsend, Chet Atkins, Elvis (Doves and J200s), Gram Parsons (gave Emmylou her first J200. I've always wondered what he received in return, but that's a topic for another forum), Mark Knoppler, Ronnie Wood, and those are just the ones I can immediately think of.

..almost forgot--

I always used to think they were big until I owned one... I find the tapered waist means it feels smaller than a j-45 body once you find the way you like to hold it best. They do look big, but are extremely comfortable I find.

Xcellent point! Sort of like thinking a full size pickup is big until you own one.

Standing or using a stool, you'll find size doesn't matter. On a couch, the lower bout will raise up a bit. But I find mine just as comfortable as my H'Bird. Probably similar size waists, but the H'Bird tends to slope back so the inner / back edge of the waist digs into my right thigh. Think the size if the Super Jumbo tends to make you hold it flat on your leg .

Congrats. Hope it becomes your main squeeze.

Congratulations on the J200.

Add Rev Gary Davis to that list.

Apart from his wicked playing, he also has a unique way of holding the J200 - he can hold it the same while playing standing OR sitting...

http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/BrnSnift/DavisLibba.html

http://www.yazoorecords.com/2011.htm

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rev__gary_davis

and on a 12 string;

http://www.barriewentzell.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1960

BluesKing777.

Stunning guitar! What a great retirement present to yourself [thumbup] I particularly like the back and the back-stripe inlay treatment.

Looks like gold Gibson Grovers were used?

Rod

Yes, it does have Gold Grovers!

Archived