Gibson Brands Forums

Even more prototype stuff 1980s SG prototype and LP Double Carve

Rabs

And the Les Paul Double Carve.. what is a double carve I hear you ask :)

this is what the description says

The Double Carve Les Paul has the same specs as a Figured Top R8 Les Paul but the Maple Top is carved on the underside to mirror the top carve creating an acoustic chamber between the Maple Top and the Mahogany Body ( REALLY?? [rolleyes] ), the Top and Body are joined in the center of the guitar to support the pickups and tailpiece. The Double Carve has a defined upper end that is more airy and open sounding than a regular R8. The low end is rich and round with a smooth resonant response that is woody and open sounding. Overall tone and attack are between a fully Chambered LP and regular Solid R8.

SG's without bevels look like they could benefit greatly from going on a diet...

Is that R8 double-carve not just a variation on the Supreme?

I don't know whether you've seen the auction catalogue for Les' guitars a few years back, Rabs?

He had a few which were factory stamped as prototypes and some of his own experimental stuff was amazing!...

Here's the link to the 410-page auction catalogue. Select 'Flip through catalogue online' from selection underneath picture of Les.

Prices realised are also published under 'Auction Results';

http://www.juliensau.../2012/les-paul/

P.

SG's without bevels look like they could benefit greatly from going on a diet...

Is that R8 double-carve not just a variation on the Supreme?

I don't know whether you've seen the auction catalogue for Les' guitars a few years back, Rabs?

He had a few which were factory stamped as prototypes and some of his own experimental stuff was amazing!...

Here's the link to the 410-page auction catalogue. Select 'Flip through catalogue online' from selection underneath picture of Les.

P.

Cheers man... I will check that out [thumbup]

Oh and that R8.. well they are saying its an R8 where the bottom of the cap is carved out in the same way as the top that apparently creating a more harmonic acoustic chamber?? (if you say so Gibson :))

P.

Ok ive been through that so thanks for that link.. some real interesting stuff.. I liked some of that recording equipment they showed, very cool...

So ive got a few things that stood out to me that I think would still make a good new model..

The Les Paul acoustic.. that's cool, id buy one of those

gibsonlespaulacoustic_zps6c3f5d39.jpg

This double cut

LesPaulDC400_zps1fdb84c7.jpg

The Les Paul Signature model prototypes

LesPaulSignatureprototype_zps2bfbb3ab.jpg

And this just shocked me.. That Les made his own acoustic panelling .. wow :)

LesPaulwallpannel_zps5395277b.jpg

good stuff [thumbup]

Archived