Gibson Brands Forums

Best live bands you've seen

krock

I saw steel panther (glam rock/metal) at rock city last week in Nottingham and they were by far the best band I've seen live. They made lots of jokes about each other inbetween songs and kept the crown captivated. The fact they invited lots of pretty women up on stage didn't hurt either msp_thumbup.gif

Anyway, what was the best band you've seen live, whether it be for putting on a great show or or for play excellently? Post a pic as well if you have one

1958569_1418066591779051_2034530022_n.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your talking about shows that maybe you didn't necessarily think were going to be that great..

The one that comes to mind was years ago I went to see Alvin Lee.. Now supporting him at the time was Johnny Winter... Id never heard of him befoe that, And WOW what an opening act. Johnny himself was just incredible, just so so talented, played several instruments and kept the audience glued to that stage and his band was as tight as anything.. The only issue is that after that Alvin was just doing like an acoustic set and what a let down... But maybe that was because Johnny Winter is such a hard act to follow?

Other than that some of my favourite acts live have been..

AC/DC, they sound just as good live if not better than their studio albums

Pink Floyd, just a mind blowing set and at the time they had a giant disco ball that they lowered into the middle of the room and bounces lasers off it.. Will just never forget that.

Metallica.. also just another great live band. I don't care for their studio work past the Black album but live they stull rock hard. Seen them like 6 times over the years.

Jeff Beck... someone who I don't really listen to much as im not a huge fan of instrumental music, but live he is just mesmerising to watch.

There are others but I will leave it there :)

I did alot of concerts in my youth and was not afraid to travel to see them.

So I have seen tons of great shows and am happy that I can say I have pretty much completed my bucket

list of who I need to see.

I will still go to shows, but I refuse to pay several hundred to see ANYONE.

Nobody is worth 300 bucks a ticket to me... nobody!!!

I saw Foghat open for the Cowboys in Phila. PA. Foghat was fantastic. They played hit after hit and got the crowd so worked up the Cowboys seemed like they didn't want to follow them, you could just tell. Fogthat played about an hour and a half, if the Cowboys played for forty five minutes I'd have been surprised.

AC/DC, they sound just as good live if not better than their studio albums

Pink Floyd, just a mind blowing set and at the time they had a giant disco ball that they lowered into the middle of the room and bounces lasers off it.. Will just never forget that.

Metallica.. also just another great live band. I don't care for their studio work past the Black album but live they stull rock hard. Seen them like 6 times over the years.

Jeff Beck... someone who I don't really listen to much as im not a huge fan of instrumental music, but live he is just mesmerising to watch.

There are others but I will leave it there :)

Looks like you've seen quite a few of my favourite bands

Looks like you've seen quite a few of my favourite bands

Lol :) that's nothing compared to how many gigs ive been too in the last 20 years or so :)

Actually thinking about it one of my best gigs was seeing Guns n Roses at their height at Wembley Stadium with Faith no More and Soundgarden in support.. That was just like the best summer.. And then seeing Metallica, Megadeath, Diamond Head and The Almighty all in one gig.. Now that was something else :)

Heres some pics of just a few tickets...

DSC06327_zpsb5b64d3a.jpg

DSC06329_zps05e951f7.jpg

DSC06331_zps72268e73.jpg

DSC06332_zps8106ae87.jpg

To name just a few international acts:

Queen in 1980

Spliff in 1982

Level 42 in 1985

The Eagles in 2009

Deep Purple in 2012

There was a band called Spliff? :unsure:

That's probably worse than Fanny :)

It is a tie between Robert Plant ( 29 palms tour) and Molly Hatchet. When I saw Robert Plant ( seen him 2 times) at the Woodlands in Houston, its an outdoor venue, it was about 70 degrees, when the concert was over it was about 28 degrees, I remember watching the drummer sweating his a$$ off, when it was 28 degrees he had fans blowing on him and he was still sweating like a pig, but he stole the show, that was the best drummer Ive ever seen live ( think Neil Pert on steroids), he was ON FIRE. Molly Hatchet ( seen them 3 times) puts on a hell of a show also, VERY VERY LOUD. They played here at a little dive in downtown Bryan and after the show they let you come on the tour bus and talk to them and get your shirt signed, ( still have that shirt).

There was a band called Spliff? :unsure:

That's probably worse than Fanny :)

They had been the backing band of Nina Hagen before but later featured Alf Klimax as a vocalist, native from the USA I believe. They released a definitely funny album called The Spliff Radio Show, a parody on rock'n'roll in particular and the music business in general. The time I attended a Spliff concert, however, they had switched to Neue Deutsche Welle after Alf had left the band. They all still are legends here, Nina Hagen, Alf Klimax, and all the other former Spliff members.

They had been the backing band of Nina Hagen before but later featured Alf Klimax as a vocalist, native from the USA I believe. They released a definitely funny album called The Spliff Radio Show, a parody on rock'n'roll in particular and the music business in general. The time I attended a Spliff concert, however, they had switched to Neue Deutsche Welle after Alf had left the band. They all still are legends here, Nina Hagen, Alf Klimax, and all the other former Spliff members.

With a name like that im surprised they got any work done at all ;)

How do you guys remember all these? Mine would include Rush, Yes, The Who, Chicago, Buddy Guy, to name a few. But BY FAR the best live show I ever saw was SRV at a free concert at my university (actually it was the year before I started). It was outdoors and he played right after Cyndi Lauper. The teenie bop fans wanted to get out of there. I crawled on grass with my buddy and we got about 5 feet from him. Absolutely blew my mind away.

With a name like that im surprised they got any work done at all ;)

The name is taken from an objection at about 3'05" runtime in the Nina Hagen Band song "Heiß" which means "Hot." The song was suspended from airplay here due to the lyrics, and despite of being German and very delicate, I guess you will get the idea. It is also audible that Nina Hagen is an approved opera singer:

Cream

Jimi Hendrix

Mountain

Spirit

Led Zeppelin

Grand Funk Railroad

The Who

The Doors

Canned Heat

Deep Purple

Uriah Heep

Ted Nugent

Tin House

West, Bruce, & Laing

Free

The Mothers Of Invention

Quick Silver Messenger Service

James Gang

Blood, Sweat & Tears

Humble Pie

Blue Cheer

Pink Floyd

Jethro Tull

Edgar Winter

Johnny Winter

Alice Cooper

Faces

Huey Lewis And The News

Iron Butterfly

Bob Seger

Janis Joplin

Blues Image

MC5

Steppenwolf

The Strawberry Alarm Clock

Joe Walsh

The Amboy Dukes

Cream

Jimi Hendrix

Mountain

Spirit

Led Zeppelin

Grand Funk Railroad

The Who

The Doors

wow, that almost covers all the people I am too young to have seen, or missed.. (mostly Hendrix)

nice [thumbup]

Three...

I'm old.

Duke Ellington

Count Basie

Harry James

The musicianship in each case was off the charts incredible.

Nothing against the rockers or country folks or whatevers here and there - or even some top symphony orchestras, and a string quartet or two.

These combined pop swing toe-tapping with instrumental virtuosity and performance "class" I ain't seen otherwise. And don't get me wrong, I've been privileged to see more than a few "names."

m

I'm confused. Is this topic about the "best" live bands you've seen or "every" live band you've seen? [biggrin]

Some of the bands I was most surprised either how good they were or how much I enjoyed their shows were: CS and N,

38 Special, Queensryche, and Bob Wier and Rat Dog.

Some of the best shows that I already had high expectations for and they even exceeded: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Aerosmith, Rush.

Best band ever seen in a bar was by far KIX. Matter of fact their bar shows were as good as any stadium show. [thumbup]

Geez, I left so many out. Ignore that snarky comment I began with. [blush]

wow, that almost covers all the people I am too young to have seen, or missed.. (mostly Hendrix)

nice [thumbup]

When you grew up in the 60's, and became a Roadie, You went in, and out of the same Backstage Doors with quite a few. [thumbup]

Best bands seen in rough chronological order (of first time seen):

• Sabbath with RJD - 1981. 1st gig attended, aged 14.
  • Ozzy with Randy
  • Sabbath with RJD
  • Motorhead
  • Gillan
  • Girlschool
  • Accept
  • Judas Priest
  • Killing Joke
  • PiL
  • Hawkwind
  • Marrilion
  • AC/DC
  • Whitesnake
  • Blue Oyster Cult
  • Saxon
  • Twisted Sister
  • Van Halen
  • Gary Moore
  • Scorpions
  • Metallica
  • Alice Cooper
  • Richie Havens
  • Scorpions
  • Rainbow
  • Clapton
  • Dokken
  • U2
  • The Cure
  • Dio
  • Glenn Campbell
  • Zodiac Mindwarp
  • George Benson
  • Segovia
  • Zappa
  • Manic Street Preachers
  • All About Eve
  • The Mission
  • The Cult
  • Anthrax
  • Slayer
  • Nirvana
  • Ultravox
  • Dr & The Medics
  • Bob Mould
  • Buzzcocks
  • John Ottway
  • Fairport Convention
  • Wilko Johnson
  • Killers
  • Sex Pistols
  • Wreckless Eric
  • Los Conejos
  • Machine Head
  • Paul Weller
  • Joe Satriani
  • Crass

Brains getting tired now. God knows who I saw at Glastonbury - that is all a total blur.

I'm confused. Is this topic about the "best" live bands you've seen or "every" live band you've seen? [biggrin]

Some of the bands I was most surprised either how good they were or how much I enjoyed their shows were: CS and N,

38 Special, Queensryche, and Bob Wier and Rat Dog.

Some of the best shows that I already had high expectations for and they even exceeded: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Aerosmith, Rush.

Best band ever seen in a bar was by far KIX. Matter of fact their bar shows were as good as any stadium show. [thumbup]

Geez, I left so many out. Ignore that snarky comment I began with. [blush]

The thing is that after 25 odd year or so of going to gigs its really hard just to mention one or two... so many good ones. (and ive been to enough bad ones too :))

Styx and Steve Miller Band put on the most impressive light shows I've seen.

Have also seen these, some more than once:

Gary Wright

Peter Frampton

Rick Derringer

The Police

Bob Segar

Jackson Brown

Eagles

Linda Rondstadt

Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson

Foghat

Sawyer Brown

Bad Company

Journey

Doobie Brothers

REO Speedwagon

Kansas

Missouri

The Cars

Blue Oyster Cult

Pat Benatar

Ted Nugent

Foreigner

Nazareth

Heart

a few others I can't think of the names right now.

Oh the good times of the 70's.

FZ...

Kinda sad how some of the great swing bands lost audience.

The 70s really put the end to it, I think. Folks my age often didn't care to put in the effort to go (I don't do concerts any more unless I'm paid to go) and younger folks weren't thinking about that kind of musicianship.

m

I've James Brown, ZZ Top, and BB King each twice. I've seen Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Albert King, Little Milton, Doctor John, Joe Bonamassa, Robert Plant, Ted Nugent, Sly & the Family Stone, and I don't recall who all else. But, by far, the most rockin', most energetic, hit-the-stage-runnin'-and-not-stop-'til-it's-time-to-go-home show I ever saw was Leon Russell back in the early '80s.

Best live bands........

Saw the Black Crowes as an opening act for Junkyard....."Hard to Handle" wasn't even on MTV yet......thought they were some local band.....blew me away.

38 Special (in around 2008 or so) shocked me with first how tight they were and second how many hits they had that I'd forgot.

Squeeze......never very into them.....they opened for Cheap Trick a couple years ago and again, was blown away by how tight and how many forgotten hits.

A band called Sinomatic who opened for Buckcherry years ago should have been HUGE. Great songs and very good show.

A band called the Front who I believe opened for Enuff-z-Nuff back in the day.....had a Doors/Cult kind of feel that had the entire audience pulsing.

and for just plain old showmanship, every time I've seen Motley Crue they've always done the "BIG SHOW" with lights, pyro, etc, etc, etc.....great live band.

NHTom

Archived