Bob Seger

Janis Joplin

Blues Image

MC5

Steppenwolf

The Strawberry Alarm Clock

Joe Walsh

The Amboy Dukes

I believe gsgbass just blew all of us out of the water ...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused. Is this topic about the "best" live bands you've seen or "every" live band you've seen? [biggrin]

Ya man,,, lol.

Somehow it turned into a contest.

The way I see it,, I have completed my bucket list.

I win.

I believe gsgbass just blew all of us out of the water ...

Those were the greater ones. There were other players that had off nights. Anyone can have an off night.

John Mellencamp back on the Scarecrow tour. No opening act. Just came out and kicked *** for 2.5 hours.

Johnny Cougar when he opened for Heart, I think Dog and Butterfly. Heart was astounding. Cougar was good, but middle of his set chick next to me hurled her Kahlua based beverages onto everyones shoes. To this day, when I smell that stuff, that's what I think of.

rct

That's a tough one. I've honestly seen more shows that I can count.

The one that meant the most to me was seeing UFO at he Wild Horse in Nashville a few years back.

I also saw YES in the round in Miami on the Union tour which was the height of their arc I think. What an amazing show.

I saw the Black Crows open for MSG in a bar on the Ft Laud Strip before anyone knew who they were. While I'm really a Schenker fan boy I was amazed at how good the Black Crows were.

I saw Foo Fighters open for Mike Watt on the van Tour at 328 in Nashville where I accidentally unplugged Dave Grohl Les Paul for his opening number. After that show I sat and talked to Mike Watt about Gibson basses and the lack of air conditioning in the venue for about an hour.

Buddy Guy and his band take the cake for me! Seen him with and without Junior Wells... His (Buddy's) band in the 1990's was the epitome of tight!

I saw SRV w/Double Trouble live before he died, and I also got to see The Jeff Healey band back in the 1980's and they were both phenomenal shows...

I've seen The Allman Brothers several times with; Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes, Jack Pearson, and Derek Trucks. Before that I got to see the Greg Allman Band w/Dangerous Dan Toler... ABB is my favorite band I ever got to see I think!

I got to see Jimmy Vaughan open for Eric Clapton during the From The Cradle tour, that was awesome!

I'm a Blues-Hound so I've seen Hubert Sumlin, Otis Rush, Lonnie Brooks, Luther "guitar Junior" Johnson, Jimmy Rogers, Johnny Clyde Copeland. They were all great!

I saw Lonnie Mack in the 1990's and that show was superb!

I saw Robert Cray and he was spectacular!

My first concert ever was The Kinks in 1982 and they were just fantastic! That was the Give The People What They Want tour...

Little Ed Williams of Li'l Ed and the Blues Imperials is awesome! He's the nephew of the late/great JB Hutto...

I saw Ronnie Earl open for The Allman Brothers and I've seen him headline too, he's phenomenal!

I've Seen Duke Robillard and he kicks @$.

I saw The Paladin's in the 1980's and they are the best rockabilly power trio you've ever seen w/Dave Gonzales on guitar...

I saw Delbert McClinton and Stanley Jordan back in the day... They were both good shows...

I know there's more, I just can't think of 'em right now...

My tops were; Buddy, ABB, SRV, and EC.

Buddy Guy and his band take the cake for me! Seen him with and without Junior Wells... His (Buddy's) band in the 1990's was the epitome of tight!

I went to Buddy Guy's club in Chicago 2 years ago but unfortunately he only plays there at certain times of the year so I didn't get to see him

Can't remember all of the "big name" bands I've seen (probably close to a hundred, from Doc Watson to Bad Brains), but there are three that really stand out:

1) Weather Report in 1974 at The Frog and Nightgown dinner club in Raleigh, NC. This concert had a profound impact on my musical direction.

2) Grateful Dead in 1973 at Cameron Indoor Stadium, d00k University, Durham, NC. Seen them three times, but this was the first. Always the best sounding live band I've ever heard. A real event.

3) Leon Russell in 1973 at Memorial Stadium, Charlotte, NC. Great and memorable show.

In the 70's it would have been Heart. I saw an awful lot of bands, they were the best Rock Band of their time, complete entertainment from start to finish. Howard was epic. Honorable mention to Nan Mancini and Johnnys Dance Band. If you ain't from around here, you don't know them.

In the 80's it was, believe it or not, Duran Duran, Billy Idol Rebel Yell shows, and Adam Ant. Well Adam and The Ants at the time. Three great rock bands putting on great shows. Duran was dancey, I know, but a great rock band doing what a band should do. Billy Idol made the Tower in Philly almost fall down that place was bangin so hard. Adam Ant same place a week or so later, three shows, all just masterpieces in entertainment. All three acts were true professionals.

90's had to be Extreme, and not because they were friends, but because they were pros. Honorable mention to Monster Magnet. The Allmans were here a lot in the 90's and I saw them a tonne, but they are what they are, not exactly a mosh pit, just a band I love.

2000's had to be Jeff Beck giving lessons up in Camden. I think that was Who Else tour and MAN he was still him, still the master of the guitar that he is. I nearly cried them shows were so good. Super Special Honorable Mention to The Outlaws out once again and it was great to see them killing it, talk to them and enjoy some time with them. GREATEST. BAND. EVER.

rct

In the 80's it was, believe it or not, Duran Duran, Billy Idol Rebel Yell shows, and Adam Ant. Well Adam and The Ants at the time. Three great rock bands putting on great shows. Duran was dancey, I know, but a great rock band doing what a band should do.

Up until I was about 16 Duran Duran were my favourite band. A few of my friends who were into R&B used to try and mock me about it, but to be honest I see nothing wrong with liking them. They have a pretty awesome bass player as well. I have a few of their albums on my phone and it makes my walk home from uni just that bit more fun

Of course no need to mention Metallica that I have seen 5 times, Megadeth 4 times ...

The show that totally blew my mind was in the summer 1991, it was the Monster of Rock,in Belgium it was with AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue, and Queesryche and it was amazing, Metallica was there with the black album (not yet released) AC/DC with Thunderstuck, Queenryche with Empire and Motley with Dr Feelgood.

So almost best record for all the bands except Queenryche I prefered the Operation Mindcrime :)

I have to give a special mention for Suicidal Tendencies in the 90s, they were all smart and inventive musicians even if it was trash metal music.

For the Blues act I will say Gary Moore of course, he was opening for ZZ Top.

And perhaps no one knows but Freak Kitchen, it was in a small venue, but they were having so much fun playing that it was very communicative to the audience, and they were all nice guys I have discussed with them a lot after th show.

Good grief, you guys are making me feel old.

I'll add though that Chris Ledoux and his Western Underground had some pretty wild shows... Fireworks, mechanical bull... But obviously under the rock radar here. <grin>

m

Good grief, you guys are making me feel old.

I'll add though that Chris Ledoux and his Western Underground had some pretty wild shows... Fireworks, mechanical bull... But obviously under the rock radar here. <grin>

m

Chris Ledoux was great.

And a heckuva good guy.

Around here he's more remembered as a rodeo champ... with the music as an add-on.

That ain't all bad, 'cuz in rodeo usually you either get along with the other guys, or you end up gettin' going elsewhere.

m

hmmm...great live bands...

Little Feat with Lowell George (1978)

Pat Metheny

Peter Gabriel (1978)

The Sun Messengers (Detroit band)

ERIC JOHNSON

Chicago in the 70's (don't laugh...they were awesome!)

Recently...

Ozric Tentacles!

Archived