Gibson Brands Forums

when did historic models first appear ?

blindboygrunt

It's a combination of features I haven't seen--which means nothing. White-button tuners, but large stringpost washers, like you see with rotomatics. What kind of tuners are they?

Block logo rather than script logo. "Correct" pickguard placement. Aside from the 20-fret board, it looks very much like an early 1950's feature combination, which is refreshing.

As far as I know the first Historic J-45s came out around 2005. They were preceded by those "Early" J-45s

So there was an early historic then ? But without the historic moniker.

Its just an ad I came across. Turns out me and the fella have a mutual friend. Blah blah blah. I just wanted him to have an accurate ad. And am assuming that a ' historic' or some other gibsonian title might make the guitar a bit 'more'

I think the "Historic Collection" J-45s were really pretty much THE J-45 as Bozeman made them that year - a mix of features that on the exterior kinda, sorta had some of the vintage vibe, if you overlook soundhole placement vs. fingerboard end, 20-fret fingerboard combined with a small 'guard, etc. If it has a Fishman Matrix Natural whatever p/u in it, it's probably pretty much identical to the HC, but without the little decal on the back of the headstock.

So there was an early historic then ? But without the historic moniker.

Yeah, they were around in the later 1990s.

But don't read too much into it. As noted above, the Early, Historic and TV are pretty much the same guitar with a bit of different bling. None are an accurate reproduction of any particular guitar from a past catalog but rather have features from different guitars with a few modern twists thrown in.

Local ad. White tuners , orange label. 2004 . historic model ? Or were all j45's like that way back then?

Apart from the "orientation" it looks just like the 2005 "Historic" J-45 which I sold a couple of years ago.

Lovely guitar but had the narrower nut (1.6875ins) which I found a problem.

Its the one on the right....

MartinHD28GibsonSouthernJumboJ-45.jpg

Archived