Gibson Brands Forums

Machine Head Upgrade

Buc McMaster

The 1940-something Gibson ukulele had some cheap, terrible tuners on it.........not even sure they were original though from the footprint underneath they appeared to be. Simple stack of 2-3 friction washers for tension adjustment.......

plastic.jpg

So I bought a set of Waverly uke tuners about two weeks ago and, upon receipt, I discovered they required chamfered counterbores in the headstock, 100 degree on the front and 60 degree on the back. The original tuners mounted on a flat faced headstock, no chamfer front or back. So I searched out the required tools........

bits.jpg

Worked slowly and voila! New Waverly tuners on the old ukulele! They are very similar in appearance to the ones on the Poinsettia........nickel plated body, nice internal spring tension, very smooth!

waverly.jpg

Nice job, Buc. Good to see you haven't lost your skill with tools. Some may complain that the uke is no longer "original", but I'd say this is a valuable improvement.

Did you do that with a drill press, or a hand-held drill?

Used a cordless handheld drill with variable speed............s - l - o - w. Just cutting wood so it went easily, just had to be careful not to overbore the chamfer. Odd combination of angles on the front and back bushings, 100 and 60 degree chamfers. Weird. But all's well that ends well. Not worried about being original or not with this uke.........the Poinsettia, yes.......it will stay as it is. The buttons are koa. I thought I ordered ebony, but no big deal, the koa looks fine with the mahogany.

Archived