Gibson Brands Forums

Beginners Guitar

tyt921

Hello Folks,

I been trying to find a similar thread so I wouldnt have to ask it here, but I couldnt find any. So please bare with me!

I am a beginner, self learning Electric Guitar for a bit over a month now. I am starting with my GF's F10 ESP starter set guitar. The strings are hard to play, bend, you name it. The overall sound is also very metal, as it should be. I went to guitar center and bought a Fender Strat. However, did not like the bridge position at all. It was too twangy and intruding. I went back to GC and tried a Les Paul, and dang. I was in LOVE. So Les Paul it is.

Now, the question comes down to which of the Les Paul to get. Because there are so many Les Pauls in different models. I already ordered a Les Paul by Epiphone Custom Pro in Alpine White (arrives in a day or 2). I have read everywhere that it basically is the same as the Les Paul Standard Pro, and that it is just aesthetics. So I might end up saving myself some money and get a Les Paul Standard. I really dig the split coil knobs, that gives me the options when I want that sharp noticeable tone. I was thinking about the Les Paul Studio for a bit, and may even splurge on the Gibson LBJ for $999 from what I hear at the store, they say its a steal. From folks here, it seems like the higher end of the Epiphone are better than the lower end of the Gibsons.

I cant play anything yet, but I love me some Jazz, blues, and some R and B, soft Rock. Nothing too hard. Any recommendations as to what Guitar I should take? All I hear are really the semi hollow guitars that seem to be rocking on this board, but I myself want an Electric Les Paul. Please guide me my fellow guitarists!

Good Morning, and Welcome to the forum, and to playing guitar! If you love the LP, then that is the one to get! There will be opportunities to expand into hollow body and semi-hollow body guitars. I have several of both! I personally like Epiphones, and own 6 or 7 of them. The recent ones are much, much better than the older ones were, and I think they are the best bang for the buck out there! Different sounds, different songs. Play that LP, no matter which version you get, and enjoy the process of learning guitar. Make it fun!

I have been playing since 1965'ish. I still learn new things nearly every day!

Again, welcome to the world of guitar!

Pete

Good Morning, and Welcome to the forum, and to playing guitar! If you love the LP, then that is the one to get! There will be opportunities to expand into hollow body and semi-hollow body guitars. I have several of both! I personally like Epiphones, and own 6 or 7 of them. The recent ones are much, much better than the older ones were, and I think they are the best bang for the buck out there! Different sounds, different songs. Play that LP, no matter which version you get, and enjoy the process of learning guitar. Make it fun!

I have been playing since 1965'ish. I still learn new things nearly every day!

Again, welcome to the world of guitar!

Pete

I understand that there are Standard, Standard pro, Traditional Pro, Custom, Studio, Tribute, Prophecy, Ultra III, etc. I want to hear some of the differences, because their prices ranges a bit. But I am particularly interested in Standard Pro, Studio, Prophecy. Do all 3 of these have Split coils? The one I bought was 599 out the door with no case. I was wondering how do I get the best bang for my buck since you know, I listened to some youtube comparison and literally theres no difference in a Standard 399+ to a what I got Custom Pro 549+ guitar. Also really digging the studios, the wood is beautiful. thoughts?

Well since you asked, I'll throw in my two cents. I look at a guitar as an instrument first, how does it play and sound. Second is do I like the looks. Similar to buying a car does it drive well am I going to continue to like driving it for the next 60,000 miles, and now is it a head turner? You can save a lot of money by finding that inexpensive yet very playable guitar. Then your next four or five can be the pretty. I'm a guitar nut on a budget, I own 3 Epiphones (Sheraton II, Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, and a worn brown SG and they are great guitars in my opinion and like most will say "a lot of bang for the buck". I have a couple strats both Squire 50's Classic Vibes, I've found them better players than any MIM Fender. As your skills increase and you maintain your desire to play you can then become a guitar collector. It's a good idea to find someone local that is experienced in setting up a guitar for the first time. I have done my own setups lately and the only area I'm not comfortable with is adjusting the truss rods. Don't forget some of the online dealers as you can find some really nice guitars, I've bought from zzounds and Sweetwater, both were great. Play on.....

-^ I think we may be able to rule out single coil choices as he has already mentioned the bridge pickup from a MIM Fender was a bit to harsh for his ears right now. But what you say,, I have to agree with. My band mate bought a Squire Classic Vibe Tele about a month or two ago. he bought it used, $220,, (Ebay) it's terrific!

Anyway,, to the topic... I think the custom pro is going to be a good choice for you. Try it out for a bit before you decide to make any changes. Guitars are not like other items, where all things are mostly created equal. There are sometimes very noticeable differences in how they play/sound/fit "you" the player. you might have gotten it right, off the bat.

I am just now learning the guitar scene. As easy as it is to buy alot of them up do like I did. I ordered a Epi Les Paul Special II Ltd. players pack from AMS for 149.99 and came with guitar, amp, epi gig bag, cords, picks and free online lessons, if you do not like it you have 45 days for a full return and if you call them they will pay shipping back on the guitar package. I love mine and the quality is awsome, I have no idea why people bash Epiphones, they are nice quality instruments. Good luck on your adventure!!!!!!!!!! And post pics when you do decide on what ya get.

Hi and welcome.

If I got it straight... you decided to take up guitar recently, bought a strat and didn't like it so took it back to GC and exchanged for a Les Paul Custom Pro for $549 which is about to arive, but in the meantime you've been reading stuff and now wonder if you should get a different Les Paul or something esle (which I assume you would again return the guitar you purchased?? and order something else?).

If that's right, then my advice would be to really test the Custom Pro (which I'm assuming appealed to you quite a bit given you ordered it and paid the 549) for a good few hours and see if it feels good - if possible get a luthier/tech to set it up for you - I can't explain this other than to say that until the first time you do that you will never realise how much easier a guitar could be to play than it is before the set up - anyhow, provided you get a sound that isn't horrible (and maybe get someone who plays well to show you what it can sound like) then' I'd focus on how it feels. Why - because no guitar is super easy to play when you start, not for a long time usually, so I'd stick with it.

If you start to feel comfotable with it then I'd suggest forgetting about other guitars, coil taps etc and spend the time getting proficient as a player - otherwise you'll potentially just waste money on stuff now when you could be saving it for something really perfect for you when/if you get good, join a band, perhaps want to play a particular style (that might need whammy bars or whatever), etc.... It may be there's more credibility in having one decent guitar that works for you that you absolutely play into the ground over a couple of years whilst saving for a really top shelf one in the future than in jumping around from one 'cheapie' to another ... just my thoughts/experience

PS - I wouldn't worry about saving $150 or whatever - at this end of the market the guitars may be variable and if you find one that is well made and set up and the right weight and feel for you, that's going to be worth much, mucgh more to you in a year or so from now. There will always be 'bargains' but ultimately are you shopping for a bargain or a guitar you'll enjoy.

Best of luck with the journey! [thumbup]

I'm a beginner as well and managed to luck out on two great guitars (so far). If you have the chance, try out a Epi ES-339pro and the new Gibson SGJ. Both great guitars and reasonably priced.

.....but if you're heart is with the LP. Get it as loving your guitar helps keeping you practicing.

HD

Hi and welcome.

If I got it straight... you decided to take up guitar recently, bought a strat and didn't like it so took it back to GC and exchanged for a Les Paul Custom Pro for $549 which is about to arive, but in the meantime you've been reading stuff and now wonder if you should get a different Les Paul or something esle (which I assume you would again return the guitar you purchased?? and order something else?).

If that's right, then my advice would be to really test the Custom Pro (which I'm assuming appealed to you quite a bit given you ordered it and paid the 549) for a good few hours and see if it feels good - if possible get a luthier/tech to set it up for you - I can't explain this other than to say that until the first time you do that you will never realise how much easier a guitar could be to play than it is before the set up - anyhow, provided you get a sound that isn't horrible (and maybe get someone who plays well to show you what it can sound like) then' I'd focus on how it feels. Why - because no guitar is super easy to play when you start, not for a long time usually, so I'd stick with it.

If you start to feel comfotable with it then I'd suggest forgetting about other guitars, coil taps etc and spend the time getting proficient as a player - otherwise you'll potentially just waste money on stuff now when you could be saving it for something really perfect for you when/if you get good, join a band, perhaps want to play a particular style (that might need whammy bars or whatever), etc.... It may be there's more credibility in having one decent guitar that works for you that you absolutely play into the ground over a couple of years whilst saving for a really top shelf one in the future than in jumping around from one 'cheapie' to another ... just my thoughts/experience

PS - I wouldn't worry about saving $150 or whatever - at this end of the market the guitars may be variable and if you find one that is well made and set up and the right weight and feel for you, that's going to be worth much, mucgh more to you in a year or so from now. There will always be 'bargains' but ultimately are you shopping for a bargain or a guitar you'll enjoy.

Best of luck with the journey! [thumbup]

Hi there,

First thank you all for your inputs. It has been so tough. I am a passive kinda guy, the first strat I got, I didnt even play at all at the store before I had bought due to the great things I have heard about it on forums. Also I didnt know how to play guitar. I dont know how to play anything, not a chord, not a song, or anything, so I thought it was silly to try to play it. Second time around when I ordered the Les Paul I tried alot more guitars, because my friend was there and was teaching me a few chords to strum to make it sound awesome. I did that same pattern on a few guitars. On my hand the Telecaster by fender actually felt more comfortable than anything I have held in the store. However, its got that twang I hate. Les Pauls neck feels fat and somehow due to its gloss, its not as smooth/fast as the satin necks. I got it anyway due to the variety of sound it could produce and the sound it makes, but they didnt have the color I liked so I ordered it. The sales person was nice, but they were kinda looking at me weird trying all these guitars to be honest. I would go with the standards but they didnt have the split coils that allows you to switch from humbuckers to single. I think I am going to try it for good straight day or two, and make the final decision. But the sound on the Les Paul to me, was mesmerizing...

I think you need to play the guitar. At some point you will just fall in love. Also remember the guitars are all different, because wood is an organic material and even if they have the same specs they will all sound different. If the guys are looking at you strangely because you want to try the guitar, change shops.

I wouldn't buy an expensive guitar straight off, because you have no real idea what music you will play yet. When I started I thought I wanted to play rock and I wanted a Strat, now I have a hollow body and a classical and I'm getting into blues and.... flamenco

So get something you like at a price point which is comfortable for you and you can see what happens once you start playing. A Les Paul is a good idea because it's versatile.

I think I am going to try it for good straight day or two, and make the final decision.

You will need to settle in with this, a day or two, isn't nearly long enough. you'll get used to the neck/feel.

and that sticky feeling will go away,, PLAY IT. Be Patient, Practice daily, it's the only way to progress.

I still think you made a good choice,

it's going to be something that will be a fine instrument for some time to come.

I think I am going to try it for good straight day or two, and make the final decision.

You will need to settle in with this, a day or two, isn't nearly long enough. you'll get used to the neck/feel.

and that sticky feeling will go away,, PLAY IT. Be Patient, Practice daily, it's the only way to progress.

I still think you made a good choice,

it's going to be something that will be a fine instrument for some time to come.

Been playing for a month or so. I know the first 2 pentatonic shapes, and been playing around with some jazz/blue licks. Its super hard to play them fast, close to impossible. been playing around bending some notes, and literally scraped skin off my fingers. I been trying to play some of the major chords, but some chords are so difficult, i have to literally spend 3 mins arranging my fingers to get the chord right, and even then, my fingers are all touching all the other strings that I am not supposed to be touching. I can learn all of those no problem, just takes time, but switching from a chord to another in fast succession is close to impossible. I am picking up my Les Paul today, it sounded great in the store, and I am so excited to have it today. I will play till I die!

good luck with picking the paul up

Learning to play the guitar is not easy.

People that have been at it for a long time, make it look drool cup easy.

it's not. be patient, stay with it... it will get easier the more you try

good luck with picking the paul up

Learning to play the guitar is not easy.

People that have been at it for a long time, make it look drool cup easy.

it's not. be patient, stay with it... it will get easier the more you try

Big Update guys. BIG BIG update.

Received my Les Paul Custom Pro yesterday. Plays pretty good. But there are a lot of QC issues. After each 15 mins or 30 mins of playing, it will end up out of tune. Not just a bit, not a few strings, but most of the strings except for like E or B string will be fine. Yesterday I played some chords for a 15 mins? Then I set it down, took a nap woke up to an all out of tune guitar....except like i stated E string or B. Then there are huge buzz noises on the lower E string. M friend was a more experienced player, and he adjusted the rod for me, and it still rang on the E. He looked at it and the frets are uneven. The plastic pickguard was poorly cut, one of the corners was dogeared and flared up. Overall guitar looks good though. Overall impression, not great. I dont want to go to a luther and fix this, because I paid straight 600 for this...kidna disappointed. Maybe I will try a Gibson LPS VG for 999. Comes with free case..

Here's the thing...

You're a beginner. Unless you're a beginner who is an experienced guitar "repairman" but never played, you'll find that no guitar is going to stay in tune from the factory with factory strings... etc., etc., etc.

Many, many guitars, even fairly expensive ones, are not "playable" when they arrive at a shop. That is typical because they are made of wood, and wood will change with climate.

Stores tell folks what brand-name strings are on a new guitar because a beginner can see that brand in the store - and experienced players will see what "gauge" strings are used. Almost every experienced player I know will change the strings on a guitar that is new to them as soon as possible.

Bottom line is that it's easiest to have a guitar set up for you at the shop with a given type of strings and recognition that you are a beginner.

Also, new strings need to stretch a bit. That's part of learning how to "re-string" a guitar.

Buzzing? Every guitar will buzz, not matter what "setup" and strings, if played in a way that will make it buzz. Beginners may or may not figure out whether it's the guitar or whether it's what they're trying to do with the guitar.

In that, beginners may be better off with a $150 guitar that has been set up in his area by someone who really knows what he's doing than a $1,500 guitar outa the box that may not be well set up.

It's not easy to teach yourself guitar. Been there, done that, although even long before free Internet guitar lessons, I had a lot of pickers to watch at least once a week, and I'd already been playing music on other instruments for 14 years.

Basically... good luck and don't worry half as much about the guitar as about you.

m

Here's the thing...

You're a beginner. Unless you're a beginner who is an experienced guitar "repairman" but never played, you'll find that no guitar is going to stay in tune from the factory with factory strings... etc., etc., etc.

Many, many guitars, even fairly expensive ones, are not "playable" when they arrive at a shop. That is typical because they are made of wood, and wood will change with climate.

Stores tell folks what brand-name strings are on a new guitar because a beginner can see that brand in the store - and experienced players will see what "gauge" strings are used. Almost every experienced player I know will change the strings on a guitar that is new to them as soon as possible.

Bottom line is that it's easiest to have a guitar set up for you at the shop with a given type of strings and recognition that you are a beginner.

Also, new strings need to stretch a bit. That's part of learning how to "re-string" a guitar.

Buzzing? Every guitar will buzz, not matter what "setup" and strings, if played in a way that will make it buzz. Beginners may or may not figure out whether it's the guitar or whether it's what they're trying to do with the guitar.

In that, beginners may be better off with a $150 guitar that has been set up in his area by someone who really knows what he's doing than a $1,500 guitar outa the box that may not be well set up.

It's not easy to teach yourself guitar. Been there, done that, although even long before free Internet guitar lessons, I had a lot of pickers to watch at least once a week, and I'd already been playing music on other instruments for 14 years.

Basically... good luck and don't worry half as much about the guitar as about you.

m

I love your advice, thank you M. I will play for a few days and maybe take it to a luther to see how much it will cost to fix all these stuff. I feel accomplished because yesterday I played the Slow blues song perfectly! It only took me about 1 hour or so. Wasnt hard. Another question. How do I get good sustain? I want to do that Still got the blues by gary moore Sustain with the notes. Long long note hold, how do I get it on this Les Paul? Because I tried yesterday pushing as hard as I can and doing vibrato didnt really help. The sound disappeared in 3-4 seconds. Thanks guys!

For one thing you don't say if you're playing through an amplifier.

Secondly "sustain" is a word used generally for guitars, but it's technically questionable because it's really describing "decay," that is, the string slowing down its vibration.

A lotta Les Paul players and other electric players will talk about "sustain," and so will some "big box" acoustic pickers.

But it all comes down to how long the string vibrates. Some has to do with technique as where along the length of the string did you "pluck" it, and how did you "pluck" it. Some with the string itself.

On an unamplified electric you are likely to hear less "sustain" than when it's amped.

Secondly, there are various "stomp boxes" that will hold a tone longer through an amplifier.

Or... as we did in the olden days, add a volume pedal and increase the volume as the string vibrates less. Some guitars have a master volume control that the player can work with a pinkie finger to get the same effect - start it at medium or lower volume and the jack up the volume with the dial on the guitar or with a volume pedal.

Still, except with an electronic add-on that, in effect records and continues a tone, any guitar's "sustain" remains at base a matter of "decay" of the string's vibration.

Some folks can say it holds longer with vibrato or a "whammy bar" of some sort. Maybe, but in effect that would be stretching the string in hopes it would keep it vibrating longer.

Honestly, at this point I'd be more concerned about learning chords, notes and how to read them, a bit of theory (what chords are used in a given key, etc.) and technique.

We all want to learn as much as we can as fast as we can... But I think for a rank beginner, it's far better to start with basics that let you learn a lot about a lot of guitar playing than to learn to emulate a given guitar player's material.

Whatta you do if somebody asks if you'd like to play rhythm in a startup band where it's mostly basic blues in keys of G, C, E and A? How do you play steadily to make it work? If you learned "Stormy Monday" in A, what if the guys need to do it in B-flat or E-flat?

Don't worry about learning it all to emulate this or that picker perfectly. I've been pickin' over 50 years and there's so much to learn yet that I - or anyone else - is never likely to get it all. And your taste/songs will change as well. That's why I suggest basics.

Just don't lose the happiness as learning something or the challenge of getting into something else on the instrument. I think there's no other general "instrument" with more differences in type and technique than "Guitar," and that's in part the challenge - and why so many of us love what it can do for us as we pass through this world.

m

Quality and tuning issues are not usually a hand in hand issue.

1: get new strings put on

2: get a setup (intonation, neck check, etc preferable someone reputable in your area don't go to GC,, they don't have anyone at any of these stores that doesn't suck at setups - (trust me.. 95% of them don't have a clue.)

also,, make sure that as part of your inability to keep your guitar in tune is that you don't have a death grip on the neck as you play.

this is common for beginners, so don't worry you are in good company. (like everyone started here right?)

keep in mind, the harder you press those strings, you're going to pull them out of tune on a Les Paul that has "big" relatively speaking, frets. a few months to a year from now, you will probably look back and say "ya,, I was definitely trying too hard".

Archived