Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daveinspain

What's on your hot dog?

Wow! how did any of y'all Southerners forget about slaw dogs? My favorite is a steamed Nathans beef dog with cole slaw,Vidalia onions and yellow mustard.

Chicago Style Dave:

From wikipedia:

A Chicago-style hot dog, Chicago Dog, or Chicago Red Hot is an all-beef frankfurter on a poppy seed bun, originating from the city of Chicago, Illinois. The hot dog is topped with yellow mustard; chopped white onions; bright green sweet pickle relish; a dill pickle spear; tomato slices or wedges; pickled sport peppers; and a dash of celery salt.[. The complete assembly of a Chicago hot dog is said to be "dragged through the garden" due to the many toppings. The method for cooking the hot dog itself varies depending on the respective vendor's preference. Most often they are steamed, water-simmered or grilled over charcoal, the latter of which are referred to as "char-dogs."

The canonical recipe does not include ketchup, and there is a widely shared, strong opinion among many Chicagoans and aficionados that ketchup is unacceptable. A number of Chicago hot dog vendors do not offer ketchup as a condiment.

DSC05656.JPG

I'm convinced Riffster, I'll give that a shot.

I like a regular hotdog two different ways. One is with chili, homemade chow chow and a touch of tabasco. Second is with chili, coleslaw and Texas Pete. Now for smoked sausage I go for fried green peppers and onions with Texas Pete.

You guys are making my hungry. I think I'll fire up the grill.

Let's just say Clint Eastwood wouldn't approve of my choice. :rolleyes:

This.

Putting ketchup on a hotdog is grounds for a dope slap, unless you are under 12yrs old.

Either dog,bun and just mustard. (Gotta be ballpark or stadium brand mustard).

Or sweet onion and ketchup on one side of the dog, and relish with horseradish sauce on the other side of the dog, on a bun. Got my wife started on that too.

Yummy

for a regular dog, i'll go with cincinnati chili, grated cheddar cheese, raw onions, and yellow mustard. for brats, it's sauerkraut, grilled onions, and dijon mustard....

Onions, relish, mustard, mayo and ketchup (yeah, I put those two on hotdogs... it is actually considered normal where I live and a hotdog without mayo and ketchup is not considered a hotdog).

Sometimes, if I do have some around, I'll put avocado/guacamole, chili, beans, cheese, chips and other stuff on it.

Sometimes I put strawberry or fig jam or some other kind of jam on one. [thumbup]

like sometimes when you're really stoned? i'll admit to using nutella once when i was really baked....

There a place in cleveland called 'Happy Dog" with about 50 varieties of toppings. I like the chorizo sloppy joe topping.

Also they have great tater tots, with a bunch of toppings. I had them with a chipotely coffee topping.

Yummy......

Duke's Mayo...(I know, but it's so good), Franks red hot wing sauce, banana peppers & mustard. All in order of priority. Pretty amazing combination. ...Yup, I'm from the South!

971fc5a3-a88f-4ee6-9746-ef9cb61fd466.jpgbb0bea9f-1989-4d21-8ba7-58acc24a03cf.jpg

Duke's Mayo...(I know, but it's so good),

[thumbup] Sometimes I slice hotdogs in half lay them on bread - a hotdog sandwich. In this case I go for the mayo as well (and mustard as well). It's delicious. I made them all the time as a kid.