Gibson Brands Forums

Warranty Service

dbossman

Hello,

I purchased a LP Standard back in October 2013 (2013 model yr). I love the feel and tone and what I expected from a LP. Only problem is it will not stay in tune! The "G" string fluctuates a half step either flat or sharp. Sharp, I cannot explain with a hard tail bridge.

Long story short, I used the nut lube, tried different strings/guages. It has the Grover locking tuners so I tried stringing it like a traditional with 3 full wraps on each tuning post. Anything less than a full wrap locked is a joke. They don't work and if I had it my way would just have standard tuners on it. I have played it as my main guitar since October 2013 and no change. I had a respected local guitar tech file the "G" nut saddle to eliminate the "ting" but it came back even with the lube.

So, I've done all I can to keep this in tune. I sometime don't get through a whole song and the "G" is completely out of whack. Unfortunately, I don't have a "certified" service center near by so have to ship it to the national repair center.

The question I have is: Has anyone shipped their precious possion to one of these centers? If so, did they resolve the issue you sent it in for? Was the turn-around reasonable? Was shipping crazy stupid ($$$)? I kept the original box thankfully so packing it up should be a breeze.

Very frustrated to say the least. I have $300 frankenStrats that I can throw off the back of tour bus going 60 and they stay in tune. Who would of thought a $2,500 guitar would have this issue. This may be the last Gibson I ever buy depending how this warranty repair goes. There are so many other manufacturers out there that make quality right off the rack for less. Truthfully, it was a spontaneous buy. I have always wanted a LP and the time seemed right. I thought I might have a lemmon but the posts I've been reading lately appears to be an overall quality control issue in the factory. At least Fender got there crap together and are making some great guitars again for half the price. But, they aren't a Gibson so whatta ya do.

Thanks,

dbossman

Guest Farnsbarns

If your experienced tech recut the nut and you still get pinging I can only assume the string is cutting in to the nut, that might be because the bottom of the slot isn't round (a bad job) or because the nut is too soft and the string is cutting into it (unlikely).

My advice, take it to another tech to get the nut cut properly, might even need a new one depending on how low the slot is now getting.

Anything less than a full wrap locked is a joke.

What do you mean by this exactly? Is this on all the tuners or just the problematic G? Do the strings go sharp with less than a full wrap, or just flat?

I had a respected local guitar tech file the "G" nut saddle to eliminate the "ting" but it came back even with the lube.

Are you saying the ping came back or just the tuning stability problem? If the tech filed the nut slot and there was still a ping he would not be "respected" in my book. I would take it back to him and make him fix it for free, or go to another tech. I have always been able to fix a ping issue myself in a few minutes with a piece of folded over sandpaper.

I had to put a new nut on my brand new 2012 Traditional due to the high E being too close to the fretboard edge. Very frustrating to have to do this, especially on a guitar that was supposedly Pleked. Cost me $50 bucks for a new bone nut, but that seemed easier and faster than dealing with Gibson warranty service, and I love the guitar now. Sounds like you may need a new nut and maybe a new tuner.

If your experienced tech recut the nut and you still get pinging I can only assume the string is cutting in to the nut, that might be because the bottom of the slot isn't round (a bad job) or because the nut is too soft and the string is cutting into it (unlikely).

My advice, take it to another tech to get the nut cut properly, might even need a new one depending on how low the slot is now getting.

^--

This

and...

we REALLY need a + button!!

I agree with Gunner and would either take it back to my tech and tell him i was still having the problem(if he's been a reliable tech in the past) or i'd take it to someone else for a second opinion.

As has been said it has to be either a bad nut or a tuner.

What kind of strings are you using???? Are you properly breaking them in before playing? Are you still using the original G string?? I would guess not but one never knows.

Very frustrated to say the least. I have $300 frankenStrats that I can throw off the back of tour bus going 60 and they stay in tune.

If you are of the experience to talk about throwing guitars off tour buses, you should be very well aware that the price of a guitar has nothing to do with it staying in tune. You should also be familiar with stop tail guitars sharping or flatting, because the bridge prolly has nothing to do with which way the string goes when it is a pain to keep right and you can actually hear it binding at the nut. You should also know that for less than the cost of shipping any guitar can be fixed such that it stays in tune. Even better, the cost of two beers or two coffees and you can fix it yourself. Nobody sends guitars back to the company because they "will not stay in tune".

So good luck with it is what I'm sayin.

rct

Though unlikely, a Custom Shop LP Standard of mine had this trouble, and the G3rd has been most severely affected, too. A new PLEK-cut bone nut solved the problem.

PLEASE

It's a very nice guitar! Take it to a professional and have them start over with the set up....

zero out the neck, new strings and possibly start over with a new nut

you might even let them evaluate the machine head situation.....

they may have some good advice and or valuable suggestions to offer

a highly experienced Luthier.....is worth their weight in GOLD!.....

....well except in todays market...no one can afford GOLD over GIBSON

eusa_clap.gif

Archived