Gibson Brands Forums

Need some feedback on a trade

Levism

Hi guys, and secondly, sorry for the repost but 50 views and only one feedback means no one knows about the Fender i'm considering or no one cares. [tongue]

The potential trade is for my 2013 70's tribute SG. - Mint w/ Hard case (value around $775 - $900)

Offering me

Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt - ( I do need an amp right now and modeling is fine + some cool options with it)value around $250

2004 Fender Showmaster - Korea - FMT - Semour Duncan Pups - 5 way switch - locking tuners - smoked chrome hardware - 1 volume - 1 tone- value UNKNOWN (not alot of nifo out there) The QMT seem to sell for around $1000 - $1300)

Potentially he may throw in a Epi acoustic value around ($250 - $300)

I know a little about Fender's but I've only played a strat for about a week before and it was... different but i have no problem exposing myself to any 6 string.

The guy is very excited about the trade so i'm a little cautious, however I do have 2 Sg's and would it be a bad thing to add a little variety if it feels and sounds good?

Please let me know if you have any experiece with any of this gear.

Thanks guys [thumbup]

M

I remember the Showmasters that weren't Custom Shoppe or American. I sincerely doubt anyone is even getting 1300 for a second hand USA version, so that's a bit ambitious for a Korean one. I have an SG and a Strat, and I don't have two of any one guitar, so you can guess what I'd do.

rct

If this is a ''Squier'' Showmaster.

Keep the U.S.A. Gibson.

He stated it's Korean made Fender, and those guitars aren't branded as "Squier". They say Fender on the headstock, just like the Mexi Fenders. Decent guitars it seems, from the reviews I've seen.

-Ryan

from your first post on this, (sorry) but it wasn't very clear what you were asking.

so now that it is,,

The Fender you mention ( and as already stated ) that dollar value doesn't' sound right at all Like Rich said, not even the USA Made ones will fetch that these days

if you want a modeler, personally I would advise that you look at the fender mustangs.

I've had the gamut of these amps and modeler units (VOX, Line 6 and now Fender.) I humbly suggest that the Mustangs are probably the best that's out there.

I guess, if it were me, keep your SGs, and solve the amp problem as best you can.

or sell it outright, and you'll be ahead on the deal.

Just my 2 cents on this one..

Keep the SG, unless you have 2 of the very same model, or they're so similar,

that you'd truly relish this deal. The SG will hold (maybe even go up) it's

resale value, while I seriously question, the gear you're trading for, will?

(The fact that he's willing to trade you ALL of that, for one guitar, should

tell you a lot!...IMHO.)

But, obviously, it's your decision. Good Luck!

CB

The Fender is selling for for between $350 and $500 on a good day. The Line 6 amp is about $160 all day long. The Epi is worth $99 unless there is something special about it.

Your guitar on the other hand has a solid worth of around $600. The case is worth another hundred.

How bad do you want the Fender? If I handed you $700 for your SG and case right now would you run right out and buy a Fender Showmaster and a 75W Line 6 Spider? IF these things are exactly what you want then it's not too bad a deal for you. If these things are not EXACTLY what you wanted.... then to me it sound to me like your are trading a guitar and case of good value for a small collection of cheap junk.

I appreciate all of this gents.

The Fender is not the squire model that they did after 2003. I was very concerned it might be at first. I agree it's value is somewhere around $400. Right now I am down an amp and I'm really torn on what to do. My wife has dropped the hammer down on me pretty hard for 2014, so It's going to be extremely difficult for me to spend any money on anything until next winter it seems. If I were to trade it at my local dealer I would get about $450 for it, and be down a guitar. [crying]

LOL i have spent about 8 hours on research and still have no idea. I lined up a meet at my house to plug it all in and see what happens. I'll post the outcome....... <_<

The Fender is selling for for between $350 and $500 on a good day. The Line 6 amp is about $160 all day long. The Epi is worth $99 unless there is something special about it.

Your guitar on the other hand has a solid worth of around $600. The case is worth another hundred.

How bad do you want the Fender? If I handed you $700 for your SG right now would you run right out and buy a Fender Showmaster and a 75W Line 6 Spider? IF these things are exactly what you want then it not too bad a deal for you. If not... then to me it sound to me like your are trading a guitar and case of good value for a small collection of cheap junk.

Hmmmm Well put.....

How bad do you want the Fender? If I handed you $700 for your SG and case right now would you run right out and buy a Fender Showmaster and a 75W Line 6 Spider? IF these things are exactly what you want then it's not too bad a deal for you. If these things are not EXACTLY what you wanted.... then to me it sound to me like your are trading a guitar and case of good value for a small collection of cheap junk.

listen to Searcy, and read this again before you push the button on this one.

SELL one of the SGs, out right ,, don't trade,, the store is going to give you pooh for it. with the money you will get selling it out right, that you could easily get on Craigs list or Ebay, there's plenty of cash to now go amp shopping.

if you do this in haste, and take the path of least resistance (which is tempting) you will probably wind up really regretting it down the road.

(I think there's a reason the guy is eager to make the trade, and it's not in your best interest.. we're all just trying to offer more weight to the voice of reason. good luck!)

The guy is very excited about the trade so i'm a little cautious, however I do have 2 Sg's and would it be a bad thing to add a little variety if it feels and sounds good?

M

Would be cautious, too. Perhaps some patience is better than doing something you probably would regret when the new gear honeymoon is over. Also consider that they don't make the '70s Tribute SGs anymore.

I am a fan of big variety but experienced it took years for me to attain. I never parted with an instrument I liked, and I never regretted having been patient.

I'm a wheeler dealer man. [thumbup]

That's how I look at trades. I think your best bet right now is to offer him $150 for the amp and call it a done deal. If he won't go for than hit the local pawn shops. $150 amps are a dime a dozen.

If you really only need an amp, check out some Mustangs, Vox Valvetronics, even a

Roland "Cube" amp. They're all reasonable, in both price, and great quality, and

even if you have to "save" a bit, for one...it makes more sense, than trading off

your SG. But then, I LOVE SG's! LOL Sold my last one 40 years ago, and regretted

it, from the day it was sold! Now, that Gibson has (FINALLY) gone back to the early

'60's Bevels, and horn tapering, I decided it was time to get another SG. Problem

is, I couldn't stop, at just ONE! (I now own 4, within just the last year.) So, I

admit, my bias towards SG's, in general. [biggrin]

CB

Searcy your comment was true wisdom. I called him and told him I'm sorry but I don't think it's worth it and thank him for his time. Oddly enough or coincidently my brother called me from Ontario just now an has a line on a ES-335 silverburst. a2f3b22601053849d427aa03a1302a7c_zps6f5a940e.jpg

If there was something I would take your 700 bucks and run to the store and buy' it's this! And it's a price drop since the silverburst was discontinued. Oh and it's Gibson month ...... I have a sickness.

Several guys have nailed it here - I'd be keeping the SG.

Maybe you can get an amp on a payment scheme or make do with a cheap one from a pawn shop or something for now.

Your SG's value will soon plateau out and then hold steady long term whilst the cheap guitar(s) and amp will just cost you to maintain then replace once the novelty is gone or you need a good second guitar (like an SG...)

just my view - good luck either way.

Keep the SG and finance a decent amp (I agree with the Fender Mustang post above too). Can probably get one through Sweetwater with very small payments.

The only way I would trade a good SG for a Fender would be for an American Fender... but that is just me as I am partial to Gibbys.

That looks like an ES-339. The horns are not rounded enough to be a ES-335.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It was very welcomed and indeed reminded me of why a gibson is a gibson. That's pretty much all I own. i'm keeping the SG as I do love it. I played it for an hour tonight an quickly put this behind me. I also ordered the 335 should be here mid next week. Just need to figure out a down payment and my wife ......

+1

All kidding aside, I think the advice to keep the SG and look for a cheap amp is not a bad idea.

Also, a bit over 35 years ago my wife got sick and tired of me "biatching" about the rifle or guitar I'd swapped and wished I'd kept. So... the agreement pretty much was that if I can't afford to buy a guitar or whatever, I can't afford to swap. <grin>

I've purchased more than a few things since then, but I think the "don't swap" thing is the way to go. I'll never forget one little rifle I got like $12.50 for in a swap in the early '70s - and I think it's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000 now... Sheesh.

Kinda ditto the orange Gretsch...

m

Archived