Gibson Brands Forums

Could someone give me advice on this J-45 value?

Gibson Artist

Saw a vintage 67 J-45 on Craigslist, most of the Gibby Acoustics are out of my price range but this one i might be able to buy/trade for. My question is with the cracked neck at the heel and general wear if i offered my Fender delux tele would i be getting burned?

I know J-45's go for a lot and vintage probably even moreso but shouldnt that crack greatly decrease the value? With all the xmas bills and work being slow i havnt had the extra cash id need to trade up for a nice gibby acoustic but now might be my chance. Could someone relate the value of that guitar with mine please? Mine is a 2006 deluxe tele in beautiful shape.

Here is the ad http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/4404385810.html

Run, don't walk, from this one. Not pretty on a lot of fronts.

Thanks guys, i probably won't go for it with the myriad of problems it seems to have. Could be a money pit to make it work properly. Maybe i should just sell my tele outright for cash and pay down the ol credit card and eventually buy a new j-45 on payments?

First off, it is not a 1967. Probably early 1970's. In really good shape, it might be worth what they are asking. Without seeing it, I would pay no more than half the asking price, given the apparent condition.

If you were me would you pass?

not worth the trouble imo, cracked neck heel, bridge lifting, probably will need a neck reset. It will end up costing you alot more and imo wont sound as good a modern j45. you can get a modern j45 used for that price with no problems at all, and none of the 60s bad design flaws

First off, it is not a 1967. Probably early 1970's. In really good shape, it might be worth what they are asking. Without seeing it, I would pay no more than half the asking price, given the apparent condition.

Agree - the burst and Deluxe nonsense shouts 1970s.

I would run for the hills though even if it was a '67. I don't much cotton to the skinny necks and narrow nuts. As it is a 70s guitar I would just run a bit faster.

RUN from this disaster. Let a qualified luthier work out a deal on that one. Only they can wring any value out of it.

Sincerely, you should save as much as you can and plan on finding a well-maintained used J45. There are plenty of them out there in the 1400-1800 range.

If you are looking in NY's Hudson Valley area, don't forget to stop by Alto Music in Wappingers Falls and Middletown. Both places occasionally have some beautiful used guitars for reasonable $$.

If you have any interest in the SJ45, let me know. I've seen them from time to time for $1800.

I believe the serials from 67 also fall into some serial from 69, and this is absolutely the latter, if not older. double braced, dreadnought, repaired neck, replaced bridge and pickguard? Hey, at least he's got a BRAND NEW set of martins on there.

Run, run far far away. A late 60s J45, between 65-68 only to avoid clunkers like this, can be had for 1800 or less depending on condition. You can also find plenty of amazing-sounding modern versions used in the same price range. Wait for the one that sings- this one is caterwauling.

Archived