Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered a Thunderbird Classic IV Pro

OldPlucker

From the first time I saw a Thunderbird (the 60's), I found them interesting; but, not enough that I wanted one. I recall that I didn't care for the feel or heavy neck. At the time I owned a 64 P bass (bought new). I moved from that to the Epiphone Rivoli in 67 and played that until I stopped playing in the early 70s. After trying out the Epiphone Pro IV and the Classic Pro IV I decided I preferred the Classic with the Gibson Humbuckers. I need to clear out something to make room; so I have been trying to sell the Ibanez SRx505 before dropping the money on the Thunderbird. All was going well, until the manager at a Guitar Center Store made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The long and the short is I am getting the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro in Alpine White and the Epiphone Hardshell case.

I ordered it on Tuesday evening for delivery to a store closer to my house. According to the shipping notice the case may show up Friday and the bass is a day behind. Now I am going to have three newer basses plus the Vintage Rivoli. A Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass in Vintage White, a Gibson EB in Satin Cream and an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro in Alpine White. Hopefully, the bass is in decent conniption and properly set up. The one in the store looked nice but needed adjustments.

congrats on the new bass, you picked a good one!

I got a Pro IV a few years ago from the local Guitar Center and it played fine out of the box as I recall. the bass was wrapped in plastic and the box was unopened, so I don't think it had been adjusted after leaving the factory.

I had never heard of the word "conniption" and googled it... A fit of violent emotion, such as anger or panic.

A combination of my typo and auto correct msp_crying.gif; however, that was an accurate description of the one the local GC had jet gotten in from another store. It sounded like the strings were having a conniption on the neck. The one ordered is supposed to be delivered tomorrow to the Guitar Center. The case is supposed to have been delivered last Friday.

I want to thank you OldPlucker. After seeing this post it made me really want a white Thunderbird. I've been eying one at Guitar Center for a while. Tried it a couple times but never with the intent of buying it. So I went there today and plugged it in and that was all she wrote. It's now here and I couldn't be happier. Thank again, I'd post some pics but you know what it looks like [wink]

I will take some new group shots once I put her down, but that might be a while [love]

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived