Gibson Brands Forums

Nineties R9s.

Stubert

I am a recent convert to the Gibson LP R9 having bought a 2007 model which I cannot keep my hands off.

I have been looking at a couple of nineties models, a 95 and a 99, and was wondering what the consensus of opinion was with regard to comparisons with the noughties models. Would I be better putting my funds in to more up to date models or is "older the better"?

I am a recent convert to the Gibson LP R9 having bought a 2007 model which I cannot keep my hands off.

I have been looking at a couple of nineties models, a 95 and a 99, and was wondering what the consensus of opinion was with regard to comparisons with the noughties models. Would I be better putting my funds in to more up to date models or is "older the better"?

It all depends on what you are looking for in your guitar.

The earliest 'official' Historic Division (forerunner of Custom Shop) R9's appeared in 1993.

The first 100 of these are prized because the 'burst was applied by none other than Tom Murphy. Mine is, unfortunately, just outside this group at #131.

If mine is typical of the R9s from this period they are quite different from later examples - particularly the neck profile which is very beefy in comparison to a 'modern' R9. Thicker than an R8, in fact.

The fixtures and fittings of the earlier guitars is also not as historically accurate so if you are looking for something as close as possible to an original '59 then the newest are the closest.

There are some annoying things, too, such as the trap' inlays having rounded tips - and this at a time where even the 1960 Classic series had historically-accurate traps!

The traps are also more liked 'cracked-ice' than the less fussy later inlays.

The rear of the peghead on the early guitars had the 'Historic Division' waterslide so no-one is going to be fooled that it's a real '59!

My R0 is from '95 and there appears to have been a few 'transitional' elements in the H.D. at this time.

The traps are period correct although this seems atypical. Apparently there were only 3 R0s made in '95 and they all vary from one to the other.

I've been told that between '94 and '96 the H.D. were also experimenting with different formulae of lacquer and dye for the finish.

This period features the so-called 'Ginger-Bursts' because of the orangey-red dye used for many of these instruments.

The lacquer on mine has acquired a degree of finish-checking that I've never seen on another LP of recent times.

On the plus side some of the maple caps had outstanding figure - especially the '97 series.

At this time Gibson were also using a 'flame-enhancing' technique whereby the figure seems much more 3D than of late. Not historically accurate, perhaps, but to look at?.......WOW!

In the search for my R-I's I played literally dozens of examples from dozens of years and it so happens that the best-sounding pair were from '93 and '95.

OTOH.........these both have '57 Classics in place of the BBs used these days so it might just come down to the fact that I prefer these p'ups!

Cue gratuitous pictures of said instruments...lol! 1993 R9 on left; 1995 R0 on right;

JamPortraitFramedlo-res_zpse52607ad.jpg MarmaladePortraitframedlo-res_zps71bdee6d.jpg

P.

Thanks for that Pippy. It looks like you definitely got the best of the bunch with those gorgeous flame tops.

I think you are right,it is down to the individual guitar but it would appear that the new reissues are more consistent in the attention to detail, historic accuracy and quality control.

Anyone selling a nice R0 with a thinner neck ?

...It looks like you definitely got the best of the bunch...

Anyone selling a nice R0 with a thinner neck ?

Nah, Stubert. Nowhere close in the 'looks' dept.

Fancy a pretty one? Then have a gander at this little lot.......lol!

FWIW......Just before you get to the bottom (4th from last) there's one shown lying horizontally in a case; item #125.

It is quite simply the most utterly convincing, beautiful, replica of an aged '59 I've ever seen.

Click on the thumbnail and prepare to go weak in the knees............[woot]

Enjoy!...

http://www.marksguit...p?cat=electrics

P.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a '99 40th anniversary model with the killer ice tea top and it's an amazing R9. Previous owner had installed a couple of Tom Holmes PAFs and it sounds incredible.

Archived