Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite player?

LarryUK

Who's your favourite player and why? I don't mean the player that got you started or who you think is the best in the world. Who do you admire the most and love to hear?

With me I have two. Richie Kotzen and Steve Lukather. I do find that since Richie has been playing finger style his solo's have become just a mass of notes. But Lukather amazes me.

I have a favourite from "the past" and from "modern" times, hope that's ok.

they're both favorites because they played much more from feeling/soul/heart than thinking/tech. expertize, and it shows in their occasional sloppiness...but i'd still rather hear either, than 99.9% of the others out there.

Past= Elmore James, King of Slide Guitar

Modern= SRV, King of Tejas Blues

Hon mention has to go to Buckethead, simply for the odd way he approaches music in general.

Im going to have to list 2 as well. My 1st favorite, doesn't fit the virtuoso mold of a "guitar hero". John Prine. The combination of his playing, singing, songwriting, and rapport with his audience sets him apart in my book. My favorite lead player has always been Dickey Betts. He's no slouch when it comes to songwriting either.

Wow, really tough!!!

It's a toss-up between Peter Green & Danny Kirwan...

But It's too hard to quantify... I like them for different reasons, and to be honest at any given moment that choice changes...

Between those 2 Peter is gifted beyond my ability to achieve and frankly in my mind he's probably The Holy Grail for me. Danny is something more attainable for myself as a level of playing and his licks; except for that vibrato which is 2nd to none!

Guys that remain in my top 3 which cycles around and around as my mood strikes and as I'm listening to their stuff are also; Albert King, Freddie King, Eric Clapton, and Buddy Guy, along w/Peter & Danny...

I could put dozens of guys in contention; Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Ronnie Earl, BB King, Otis Rush, Billy Gibbons...

At any given moment all those guys have been my favorite... Probably several others too...

SRV, Jeff Healy, Lonnie Mack, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Clyde Copeland... The list goes on and on!

I like the fact your put favorite and not best player. I don't believe there is a best player and it can't be proved.

One of mine was always Steve Howe. Back in the 1979, or so my cousin turned me on to Yes. I had never heard them before. We went to Tower Records and he told me I should get Close To The Edge, Relayer and Going For The One. Upon hearing Close To The Edge I was baffled. I did not know what to make of it. What was this crazy music he told me about. First birds start chirping and then this explosion as these musicians kick it to high gear and wail away until Jon starts singing about a seasoned witch. Good thing the lyrics were included cause I did not understand half of what Jon was singing about and still don't. Of course soon after I got Fragile and I was impressed at Mood For A Day. Back then why did a 14 year old who liked R'N"R enjoy a classical guitar piece? And then I heard The Clap and that acoustic guitar piece is insane. Always loved his playing and he always had cool and nice guitars, like his ES-175 which you don't really associate with R'N'R.

for the same reason this Alabama redneck boy spent many days/nights grooving to his Dads' "Switched on Bach" Moog Synth album.......it was different, and interesting!

I like the fact your put favorite and not best player. I don't believe there is a best player and it can't be proved.

One of mine was always Steve Howe. Back in the 1979, or so my cousin turned me on to Yes. I had never heard them before. We went to Tower Records and he told me I should get Close To The Edge, Relayer and Going For The One. Upon hearing Close To The Edge I was baffled. I did not know what to make of it. What was this crazy music he told me about. First birds start chirping and then this explosion as these musicians kick it to high gear and wail away until Jon starts singing about a seasoned witch. Good thing the lyrics were included cause I did not understand half of what Jon was singing about and still don't. Of course soon after I got Fragile and I was impressed at Mood For A Day. Back then why did a 14 year old who liked R'N"R enjoy a classical guitar piece? And then I heard The Clap and that acoustic guitar piece is insane. Always loved his playing and he always had cool and nice guitars, like his ES-175 which you don't really associate with R'N'R.

Kinda like how I think my favorite player is Danny Kirwan, as opposed to Peter Green of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac...

I didn't think much of Danny's solo stuff to be honest...

I think I found more of a connection with Danny Kirwan as a player somehow...

To me he's simply the ultimate rock & roll icon between his screaming Les Paul and his bouncing to the music and the facial expressions when he played, there's just something about him that I'm drawn to in inspiration and I'm going to have to say he's my favorite...

Hence my wish for a Danny Dirwan signature R6... msp_tongue.gif

It changes from time to time, but a few that always seem to stay..............

Perry/Withford

Randy Rhoads is timeless

Harry K Cody (from Shotgun Messiah) is an amazing player

Mike Ness (specifically with Johnny Wichersham) for its tasteful simplicity

Pete Wells (Rose Tattoo)

Rick Richards (Georgia Satellites/Izzy Stradlin)

I could go on and on and on.......lol

NHTom

Everyone, that's better than me! (And, that's about Everyone!) lol

Sentimental favorite is George Harrison, and always will be. For his economy, taste,

soul, and awesome song writing. But, Eric Clapton is right up there, too, as is Roger

McGuinn. After that, there's simply just too many to list! [tongue]

CB

Gotta be John Sykes,I actually discovered John Sykes from the "Still of the night" audio from Whitesnakeon MTV back in 1987.I didnt realize he was the same guitarist I liked from Thin Lizzy until then.Then I found Blue Murders self titled CD and since then he is my favorite player/guitarest.

However as for my most influental player and a very very close 2nd plus who I learned the most from is Jimmy Page IMHO I think he has the most killer LP tone ever.Oh yea Sykes plays a LP also!

What interesting choices. Such a difference from the 'best' player. Personally I couldn't listen to some of these players for two minutes. It's refreshing to see players that just play and not just the generic answer of Beck or Moore etc. Not that they're not great players. But it's good that we all like different things.

In recent times I've got a bit dismayed with all the technical minded player that have no feeling and have poor vibrato. I'm yet to see what I call a perfect player. But Rick Graham comes close. He has perfect vibrato and is the most fluent player I've seen. But he doesn't release albums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PrA-x7AaMU

Archived