Gibson Brands Forums

New build - further photo update!

Lefty Guy

OK, those new pictures look great but it's time to share some of the wood specifics and other things you specified to the builder...if you don't mind? I'm diggin' the rosette and, what appears on my computer to be some kind of teal blue in the purfling/binding. I'd also be interested in any tone description you sought that you might have relayed to the luthier (or did you give him free rein) and then later on, when you get the guitar, whether he successfully accomplished that mission. I can already tell that you are going to have a beautiful slope shoulder guitar when Ken's finished.

OK, those new pictures look great but it's time to share some of the wood specifics and other things you specified to the builder...if you don't mind? I'm diggin' the rosette and, what appears on my computer to be some kind of teal blue in the purfling/binding. I'd also be interested in any tone description you sought that you might have relayed to the luthier (or did you give him free rein) and then later on, when you get the guitar, whether he successfully accomplished that mission. I can already tell that you are going to have a beautiful slope shoulder guitar when Ken's finished.

I gave him free rein. He knows I like the Gibson sound & play a mixture of Bluegrass, country, folk & pop, mainly flatpicking. Spec was:

Left handed slope D

Back&sides: Plain, dark mahogany

Top: Red spruce, fine grain, no bear claw

Fingerboard: Ebony

Binding and trim: green marquetry with rosewood

Peghead overlay and bridge: dark/black Brazilian Rosewood

Rosette: Green Paua abalone

14 frets; Short scale (635 mm)

Fret size: large .090

Neck width; 1¾ inch

Solid peghead

Inlay: dots on fingerboard, Pisces symbol on peghead

Tuners: Nickel plated Waverley’s

Pickguard: black

Bridgepins: bone

Elixer PB light strings

I'm thinking since he's been a member here for the last 7 years, friendships are made and he may want to share his excitement of his new build with them. I've only been a member here for a very short time and I can see that the members here are a close knit of great people with a lot of knowledge willing to share.

amen!! Lighten up folks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I obviously love my Gibson. I also love the Martins my sons and I own. We each have D15s, for example, and they are real special to us. Each of us had them sent together, when we bought them, to Custom Pearl Inlay, who personalized them for us at a real reasonable price (much cheaper than Martin could - and they actually are the ones who referred me to Dave Nichols). Here is my son James's D15; James surfs as well as plays guitar:

jamesguitar.jpg

thx for the comments guys, I know she'll complement my 2 Gibsons nicely. Sadly I'm not collecting her until I get to Kaufman Kamp on 15th June, so won't be able to post any sounds until I get home again a week later.

I obviously love my Gibson. I also love the Martins my sons and I own. We each have D15s, for example, and they are real special to us. Each of us had them sent together, when we bought them, to Custom Pearl Inlay, who personalized them for us at a real reasonable price (much cheaper than Martin could - and they actually are the ones who referred me to Dave Nichols). Here is my son James's D15; James surfs as well as plays guitar:

jamesguitar.jpg

Sweet, nice choice.

Archived