Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Tone control Squeal

nitro

When I have my tone knob on 10(Bridge pickup tone control) there is a squeal coming though the amp only when its on 10 what would cause this ??

Guess this is a feedback. Doesn't mean forcibly the pickup is microphonic, but could mean that. In case it also squeals without strings (not muted strings but removed strings - important!), it is definitely caused by the pickup.

Check for your gain/tone/compressor settings, too.

When I turn the tone control say down to 8 its stops squealing but when I turn it up to 10 it squeals.

Yes, it is oscillating or feeding back at a particular high frequency range and when you turn the tone knob down it rolls off that frequency, which stops the oscillation/feedback. Is your amp turned up fairly loud when this occurs?

Could this 'squeal' also be called 'noisy' (when the tones are turned up)? If that's it, that guitar becomes noisy when tone knobs are rolled up, I've got that too and have narrowed it down to the Burstbucker Pro's on LP Studio being hot. The noise for me, I also called it buzz or hum that is not rf, was not cleared up by replacing electronics. Nor did it dissipate by using another amplifier. The BB Pros in my guitar are too hot. That's the explanation I give about tones being noisy when turned up ... you'd think humbuckers 'buck hum' and shouldn't have single coil problems, but ...

I used the guitar with a 15w tube amp and with a 100w Marshall tube and it's not a particular amp problem, it's definitely the guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

Could this 'squeal' also be called 'noisy' (when the tones are turned up)? If that's it, that guitar becomes noisy when tone knobs are rolled up, I've got that too and have narrowed it down to the Burstbucker Pro's on LP Studio being hot. The noise for me, I also called it buzz or hum that is not rf, was not cleared up by replacing electronics. Nor did it dissipate by using another amplifier. The BB Pros in my guitar are too hot. That's the explanation I give about tones being noisy when turned up ... you'd think humbuckers 'buck hum' and shouldn't have single coil problems, but ...

All buzz/hum from a pickup, or any coil circuit, is RF. There is no other kind of buzz/hum.

The problem here (probably) is that with the tone rolled back below 8 the frequency in question is being dumped to ground but as soon as the pot is spurned beyond that the squeel is let through. The question here is have you tried another amp. I suspect the modded amp combined with the hot pups is behind this.

Solutions, beyond replacing the amp, are...

Put up with it

Replace the pups with something less hot

Wax pot the pups

Go for a higher value capacitor

Go for a lower value pot

All buzz/hum from a pickup, or any coil circuit, is RF. There is no other kind of buzz/hum.

Well I know that the 'RF' type buzz kicks up when you hold the live electric guitar nearer to another appliance like a television. the noise I talking about is unaffected by proximity to another appliance. Ever had the local radio station come through on the amp? wow, my Dunlop Wylde wah sometimes tunes in our local am station.

As for lower value pots, I'm not sure but I had the problem with 300k vol and 500k tone and upgraded to 500k across the board ... you think 300k tone pots would lessen noise?

Most people I talk to about that particular noise peave are of the mindset of 'just put up with it' instead of what I want to hear 'oh someone else has that and did this to correct it'.

well as long as it isn't one of those 'new style' control boards (which are a lot of these days) it's only 1 lead-wire from the cap to disconnect the tone control pot from the volume

that would eliminate a bad tone control/cap.

(if it is one of those new pcb control boards, going to be almost impossible to remove the tone control and pot from the volume pot.)

When I turn the tone control say down to 8 its stops squealing but when I turn it up to 10 it squeals.

It's probably the pup..... I have non-waxed potted pups in my Traditional and it had the same symptom in the bridge pup..... I stuffed the cavity with foam and the squealing went away

I forgot to post back on this issue anyway played the guitar though other amps and the squealing continues.Took the guitar to a Gibson service center and the tech there played the guitar though other amps and the squealing was present the tech put a phone call to Gibson to ask a Gibson tech what would cause this problem.The guitar has the pc board mounted pots and the pickup ends have the quik clips connecting to the board.Waiting to here back from the tech,what can cause this???

I forgot to post back on this issue anyway played the guitar though other amps and the squealing continues.Took the guitar to a Gibson service center and the tech there played the guitar though other amps and the squealing was present the tech put a phone call to Gibson to ask a Gibson tech what would cause this probably.The guitar has the pc board mounted pots and the pickup ends have the quik clips connecting to the board.Waiting to here back from the tech,what can cause this???

A bad soldering point or a faulty shield connection may cause this. Perhaps the ground wire from the bridge is poorly snapped in, or the snap-in connector is defective. My 2012 LP Standard suffered this trouble.

Archived