Gibson Brands Forums

Important BBQ question

rct

Any of you folks from Alabama have family that makes or memories of your own of pulled pork in white sauce? A mayonnaise, horseradish, some other stuff sauce. I found a great recipe and looking forward to trying it. The only background I got was that she thought it came from Alabama.

k, back to nibs/no nibs death match.

rct

Martin's Barbecue in Nolensville, TN just south of Nashville serves their chicken wings with Alabama style sauce.

It isn't excluse to the chicken wings, they use it on the turkey sandwich and other stuff. I've never seen anybody put it on pork though but I don't see why not.

that's a strange sauce......i've lived halfway between Birmingham and Atlanta (Anniston/Calhoun Co.)since '66 and have never seen, heard of, nor eaten white bbq sauce.

perhaps it's an African American specialty.....but i've never seen anyone at work eating it either.

most home-made sauces here start with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar/molasses, onion, garlic, cayenne & chili powders, liquid smoke, then while simmering season to smell/taste.

Years ago when I was working at an airline, I was good friends with these 3 guys from Kinston NC who I worked with. They were very "country", and always telling me about "pig pickins" and NC BBQ and how great it was. One day they brought me back some BBQ from a pig pickin back home and thought it was hilarious when I got a quizzical look on my face and said " I thought BBQ was red?" [blush]

Now I must say I prefer the white vinegar based sauce over the red ketchup based.

alright, I asked some folks at work tonight about it.....

they looked at me like I had "crazy" carved into my forehead.....no white sauce on either side of town here.

maybe it's from extreme North Bama (Muscle Shoals, Scottsboro, Etc) or South Bama.....

maybe PM forum member Redstick.....he's in South Alabama.

Archived