Gibson Brands Forums

Your First Les Paul

dbrian66

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got my first Les Paul. It's a 1993 Standard plaintop in "player" shape, but it's a real beauty. I intend to upgrade the pickups, since the 490r/498t set are a bit too "80's metal" for my tastes. Lots of dings and play wear, mostly on the back, but she stays in tune well and plays like a dream.

LesPaul1_zps7e18f90a.jpeg

594E16E5-6C45-4881-A1B5-42F99C234765_zpsabslsfiu.jpg

My first Les Paul was a Deluxe Gold Top. Wish I still had it. It was hanging on the wall at a music store. (Not GC). I drove home, brought back my Ultra Omega LP copy and traded up.

Hey LPguitarman I did the same thing back in '81. I took my Electra Omega LP in and traded it for a LP standard sunburst. My first real LP. Did your Omega have a 5 position selector switch?

Jim

My first LP is a 2013 Traditional Wine Red.

This was the first time my hands have a Gibson laid on. :D

It was the BEST experience of my life!

Once I'd started to strum it, I already fell in love to it.

So I didn't think twice to get it! so yeeaaah!!

post-65839-060677900 1402410755_thumb.png

Always wanted a Gibson les Paul because my fave guitarist was Jimmy Page, but could never afford one. My first guitar was a japanise jumbo acoustic in 1974, my first electric was a Fender Strat. Powder Blue in 1992. When I bought my first house, the first Christmas away my house was broken into. Guess What? both my guitars were nicked. As my acoustic was so expensive to replace the insurance company allowed me any guitar for under £1000. In 1996 the Gem series Les Paul's with P90's were being introduced. I jumped at the chance of purchasing one. My choice was the amethyst colour

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/orestpsychi/2014_0610009_zpsfdba822b.jpg

2014_0610009_zpsfdba822b.jpg

You don't see many around, are they any good or are they just rare?

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forum here. My first Gibson Les Paul is my 2014 LPJ. It's an awesome guitar. After changing the pickups and TRC, I've got it just the way I want it.

One "rule" here, CJ..."Photos, or it didn't happen!" [biggrin]

And, Welcome to the Nut House! [thumbup]

CB

1. 1991 Standard Ebony. 2. 1997 Custom VS...alas, these are no longer with me.

3. 2012 Studio Ebony w/ new tuners, nut and bridge. I'll keep this one forever...

=============================>

Nice Axe, man. Rock on.

• 4 weeks later...

My first Paul was a Les Paul Special with P-100s:

Moefest04allSmall.jpg

The reason was-- I could finally afford one, since it was new on closeout for 5 Benjamins. I'm a big fan of first wave punk rock, and a lot of those tones came from Les Paul Specials. Frankly, though, the one I got was kinda a dog. The holes for the bridge posts weren't very nicely drilled (almost impossible to actually see, of course) and the nitro had not been allowed to cure properly-- major case of "sticky neck." Also was not enamored of the stacked buckers. I sold it to a bandmate a year or so after I got it, for what I paid for it.

More recently I got a very similar guitar that I like a lot more (also on closeout, for a similarly low price) and will hold onto, barring financial catastrophe. This'un has real P-90s, and a bound neck, both of which I consider upgrades (although of course the bound neck is purely cosmetic, it does look nice). The possible downsides to this new one are that the fretboard is "baked maple" (produced during the Great Gibson Government Rosewood Swindle), although frankly I can't see/feel any appreciable difference, and that the finish is matte rather than gloss. While I'd prefer gloss, it's not really a biggie.

8432194157_744a2e3e80_b.jpg

1010937_10151671759573879_1651513114_n.jpg

So, full circle and sh*t.

My first Les Paul was a 2008 Traditional Plus Top. I have wanted a Les Paul since I was a kid and as I couldn't afford one I had to wait until many years down the road. I sold the 2008 Traditional because the built quality was so poor. I should have sent it back, but I was smitten with the idea of owning a real Les Paul and I was stupid. I finally bought a new 2014 Traditional and other than a couple of small things that Gibson't quality control department (if they have one) missed, it has been a winner.

My first GIBSON Les Paul was the 2008 Studio on the left in the pic below, one of my grandsons has it. My first Les Paul was an Epiphone which I sold to a woman who liked the sound so much she didn't want one from the store:

DSC_4964.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DSC00624_zps494ee124.jpg

2005 - When I first got her...

10463972_10152905729773356_6233163560576353234_n_zps328df111.jpg

2014 - June of this year

This is "Blue", my beloved workhorse Gibson Les Paul Studio. This particular model was a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusive Studio that featured colours from the GEM series and the brushed chrome hardware from the Platinum series. According to information that I was able to find, only 500 of this particular model were sold during 2004-2005 (mine is a Sapphire Blue model). As you can imagine, this guitar is pretty beat to Hell and the pickups have gone from stock 498s > EMG 81/85s > Seymour Duncan Blackouts > back to EMG 81/85 and finally, EMG 57/66s (which sound amazing and will be the last pickup change). The neck at the headstock has been broken 4x but she still has the thump and sustain that she did when I first got her at Guitar Center for $800, pretty much because no one wanted a brightly coloured Les Paul that was already discontinued but I just fell in love with her. I have had many guitars over the years but I always come back to Blue. She just has that certain something that I cannot, as a musician, live without.

DSC00624_zps494ee124.jpg

2005 - When I first got her...

10463972_10152905729773356_6233163560576353234_n_zps328df111.jpg

2014 - June of this year

This is "Blue", my beloved workhorse Gibson Les Paul Studio. This particular model was a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusive Studio that featured colours from the GEM series and the brushed chrome hardware from the Platinum series. According to information that I was able to find, only 500 of this particular model were sold during 2004-2005 (mine is a Sapphire Blue model). As you can imagine, this guitar is pretty beat to Hell and the pickups have gone from stock 498s > EMG 81/85s > Seymour Duncan Blackouts > back to EMG 81/85 and finally, EMG 57/66s (which sound amazing and will be the last pickup change). The neck at the headstock has been broken 4x but she still has the thump and sustain that she did when I first got her at Guitar Center for $800, pretty much because no one wanted a brightly coloured Les Paul that was already discontinued but I just fell in love with her. I have had many guitars over the years but I always come back to Blue. She just has that certain something that I cannot, as a musician, live without.

Awesome looking LP. Keep on rockin'.

Archived