Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-339 Traditional Pro

Pesh

Hi all.

I've seen, in an email newsletter from my local music shop, that there is a new (?) ES-339 model, calling itself the Traditional Pro. It seems to be in the same style as the Les Paul Traditional Pro II from 2013; albeit with fewer finish options - it only seems to be available in the Cherry finish seen on many other ES arch tops.

Classic '57 neck and Super '57 bridge pickups are wired to push/push volume pots that enable coil-splits in addition to a 10dB user-adjustable boost that's available on the rhythm tone control. Same construction as a regular 339 but without f-holes.

Does anyone have one of these, or does anyone know their origins? Reason for production, etc? Would be interesting to find out more, as I can't find anything on Gibson's website.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have one, the vintage burst version. To my knowledge it's a GC/MF exclusive: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-es-339-trad-pro-figured-top-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Bought mine used at GC a few months ago.

Pluses: I really like the 57/57+ pickup combination, and the coil split is about the best, most usable humbucker split I've heard. The boost is also a nice feature, and is adjustable as far as how much gain you want. (There's a trim pot inside the control cavity.) The neck is very nice (to my liking), the fretwork was good. I like the size of this guitar - it's got the 335 feel but kind of fits better, especially when playing sitting down.

Miuses: Finish blemishes where the neck joins the body. There was an imperfection on the fretboard around the 12th fret where there is a area that is light colored. I tried a number of things to add some color there but nothing would stick. However, I didn't mind the cosmetic things all that much and I figure I got a better price because of those. What was really not so great were the tuners and nut. The tuners are locking and one would not tighten, clearly something wrong with it. I also felt they were cheaper than other locking tuners I have used and had to really tighten them down to prevent slipping. I had a set of regular grovers from another gibson hanging around, so I swapped them out myself, no big deal. But the nut was a complete mess. The slots were binding, they were not cut low enough, etc. I do pretty much all my own work on my guitars but nut and fret work, so I took it to my tech to put on a graphtech nut. Now I can tune it, it stays in tune, it intonates properly, and it's a pleasure to play. But it cost me over and above the purchase price to get to that point. I thought it was worth it cause it does sound and play great.

Your call: You may or may not like the fact there are no f-holes. The back of the guitar is satin finish as opposed to the gloss front. I'm sure they did that to keep the cost down.

Considering the versatility of this guitar with the coil split, it could be a "do-it-all" guitar when you only bring one to a gig. I've used it a number of times gigging and I have not been disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Had been looking for a Humbucky for gigging and these caught my eye as had not bonded with a LP Studio. I have a vintage ES347 I don't like to take out much. $1999 online at GC and everywhere else, said in stock at local store. Stopped by to try out and it was marked down to $1399. Was back the next day and did the trade. Plays great sounds great should be a great gigging guitar with all the tonal options and low weight. And even at the low weight the thing sustains and holds the note better than any axe I've ever played. If all the stores have them marked down RUN don't walk. Its a steal for a Memphis custom shop Gibson.

BTW if there was one thing bad to say it would be the nut. It doesn't effect playabilty or tuning but workmanship wasn't up to the rest of it. Roger Fritz, Fritz Brothers and former Gibson custom shop, works on mine and will probably get him to replace.

I take it all the spec's are the same as list for as here

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/ES-339/Specs.aspx

Except for the '57 Plus at the bridge, the coil taps and boost.

Assuming 30/60 neck the same, bridge and tail piece seem the same and most curious I see standard ES-339 advertised with "Memphis Wiring" or tone circuit. Appears to be like "50's wiring".

Anyone know it that is retained in the Trad Pro with the coil tapping?

Yes, I have one, the vintage burst version. To my knowledge it's a GC/MF exclusive: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-es-339-trad-pro-figured-top-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Bought mine used at GC a few months ago.

Pluses: I really like the 57/57+ pickup combination, and the coil split is about the best, most usable humbucker split I've heard. The boost is also a nice feature, and is adjustable as far as how much gain you want. (There's a trim pot inside the control cavity.) The neck is very nice (to my liking), the fretwork was good. I like the size of this guitar - it's got the 335 feel but kind of fits better, especially when playing sitting down.

Miuses: Finish blemishes where the neck joins the body. There was an imperfection on the fretboard around the 12th fret where there is a area that is light colored. I tried a number of things to add some color there but nothing would stick. However, I didn't mind the cosmetic things all that much and I figure I got a better price because of those. What was really not so great were the tuners and nut. The tuners are locking and one would not tighten, clearly something wrong with it. I also felt they were cheaper than other locking tuners I have used and had to really tighten them down to prevent slipping. I had a set of regular grovers from another gibson hanging around, so I swapped them out myself, no big deal. But the nut was a complete mess. The slots were binding, they were not cut low enough, etc. I do pretty much all my own work on my guitars but nut and fret work, so I took it to my tech to put on a graphtech nut. Now I can tune it, it stays in tune, it intonates properly, and it's a pleasure to play. But it cost me over and above the purchase price to get to that point. I thought it was worth it cause it does sound and play great.

Your call: You may or may not like the fact there are no f-holes. The back of the guitar is satin finish as opposed to the gloss front. I'm sure they did that to keep the cost down.

Considering the versatility of this guitar with the coil split, it could be a "do-it-all" guitar when you only bring one to a gig. I've used it a number of times gigging and I have not been disappointed.

Brilliant; thanks mate. It certainly seems to be an exclusive. Over here in the UK; we're seeing a lot of Traditional Pro models in the shops. We had the Les Paul Traditional Pro II last year which was very popular; bought a 60's neck Merlot finish, myself, and it plays like a dream. Completely stock; all I did was some additional filing on the nut. Haven't needed to adjust the trim pot for the boost.

I've been wanting a 335 or 339 for as long as I wanted a Les Paul; I've recently got a Les Paul so it's the next thing on the list! Having gone to my local and picked one up; it is a nice guitar, and great to be able to get a Memphis Custom for such a price. I am however going to go with a standard 339; I've got all the toys that this special model has in my Les Paul [biggrin] always good to get some information on it though! Have you got any pictures?

Anyone know it that is retained in the Trad Pro with the coil tapping?

How do you mean, mate?

How do you mean, mate?

The "Memphis wiring" with the coil tapping. From the tone knob sweeps and lack of high end drop on volumes it sounds like it does. The tone pots have a broad sweep without everything happening between 10-7 which I like and no noticeable loss of balance in the tone when you lower the volume.

Archived