Gibson Brands Forums

Question on effects

1998StandardSG

Has anybody ever tried using a compressor sustainer after the guitar and a compressor after the effects chain followed by time based effects???

What I used:

Alesis 3632

Micro Verb 4

Dual DeltaFex

BBE 382i

What I am now using in order.

Boss Blues Driver

Electro Harmonix Soul Food

Pigtronix Class A Boost

Crybaby Classic Wah

BBE Sonic Stomp

Alesis 3632

Micro Verb 4

Dual DeltaFex

BBE382i

I think I want to put a CS-3 at the beginning

Okay, I listened, too.

You're more than good enough as a picker. Why add all the stuff to a good guitar and amp? Maybe it's just my lousy computer speakers, but it seems to me that the Gretsch doesn't need it, nor do you given your very good technique. Then again, I'll admit I'm old school from before much in the way of stomp boxes and we figured other ways between amp, guitar and technique to get a bit more growl and sustain that went forever thanks to a straight-up volume pedal that also could manage attack.

I dunno what you're trying to get beyond what was on the "my link," but at least on my speakers, I wasn't hearing anything that was much beyond what could be done with the guitar, amp and settings on the two.

Nice guitar, doggone nice pickin'.

m

Yeah, well... don't feel like the lone ranger.

I just tend to put more emphasis on a "whole." I just ODed on new guitars for a month-or-six-week period - two. One an AE 12.

At this point in time I'm thinking an upgraded PA for solo work.

GAS never goes away.

But OTOH, as I said, I think being old and being "old school," I really tend to look more at guitar playability and actual performance issues than other stuff. That said, I do have a volume pedal or two... and sometimes add a bit of thickness to some stuff with a multi-effect box that's doggone near 10 years old and only gets used on one setting. <grin>

I personally don't think you need stomp boxes as much as perhaps a volume pedal for added sustain and, as I noted, the potential even for modding attack. But I'm trying to think why the technique I heard would need all that much added to it. Didn't hear looooooong weeping sounds...

m

Volume pedals are passive, and as such they work in a subtractive manner. You can't "add sustain " with a volume pedal, but you can work with what sustain you already have to get a more even note decay. Which is kinda what a compressor does anyway

I was messing with a CS3 today and I thought that it would be nice to even the signal before the fx that I use and then have the Alesis even out the signal of the effects before it gets to the microverb, deltafex, and the bbe. In my mind this will sound good... in reality... it probably is pointless.

Dub...

True enough in a technical sense. You ain't making the string vibrate longer.

But functionally, you increase perceived sustain by lengthening the time a listener hears the note. The amount depends on volume settings on the guitar, amp, where you started out on the volume pedal, etc., etc., etc.

Pedal steel players and pickers like Roy Buchanan have used volume pedals or a nicely-placed guitar master volume to vary both attack and decay. And better than a box, either of those controls adds just that, control.

Then again, I do freely admit I'm old school. But setting a pedal halfway, and the amp maxed at a point where it gets the last bit of note clearly, and the volume(s) on the guitar producing what you like for basics... and a note can last for a couple-three measures of a typical belly-rubber 12-bar blues song if'n you want it to.

m

Has anybody ever tried using a compressor sustainer after the guitar and a compressor after the effects chain followed by time based effects???

Hahaha, I know what you mean... For nearly twenty years I used two CS-1 pedals, one pre all the other FX pedals including wah, delay and chorus/flanger, and one post. Usually the pre one was operative only, and for some special tones I activated the post one. I mainly did that for evening out the post-wah level, in first order to keep the signal both clean and audible in a band context. B)

Since of 2001 I use an all-digital programmable setup without any additional pedals except for analog volume pedals for each magnetic and piezo signals. I do this to avoid the "zipper noise" inherent with all digital volumes more or less.

When listening to your playing, I think it will translate nicely with a band playing at low volume. In case of high volumes, another guitar or a keyboard player, some compression can be useful to prevent your guitar from vanishing in the mix. Your licks are worth to be heard! [thumbup]

Frankly I don't know enough about pedals to even understand what you're talking about...

Having said that I do have a handfull of pedals I use including a DigiTech RP50 multi-effects pedal. But there are only like a 1/2 dozen of the 85 or so presets on it I like. Other than that I have a Vox '67 reissue wah pedal, a GFS Greenie Classic OD and a GFS Blues Driver OD, that I switch between on whims setting them between fuzz and OD. I have a TC Electronics Hall Of Fame reverb and I also have a pedal tuner that I use on bypass between songs if needed.

I also have an original Sov-Tek Big Muff Pi fuzz pedal that I rarely use because it has no AC adapter port and relies only on a 9v battery to operate.

But just as often I simply like the gain on my amp which I use either my 2013 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue or a mid 1980's Vox Concert 501 tube amp (which is in need of a tube replacement right now) and generally get really nice tones out of the amps without the effects turned on...

I go like having a little more juice for solos so it's nice to have an OD pedal to boost things up from time to time, but that can also get you into trouble and start the volume wars on-stage, which ends up with everyone getting asked to turn down...

My knowledge of effects loops and such is a bit limited and I stick to a little tighter old-school ideology and try to let the tube tone ring-out, but jack things up a bit from time to time...

And I love reverb so think you can lie down and take a nap on it... But that can get muddy too...

Okay, I listened, too.

You're more than good enough as a picker. Why add all the stuff to a good guitar and amp? Maybe it's just my lousy computer speakers, but it seems to me that the Gretsch doesn't need it, nor do you given your very good technique. Then again, I'll admit I'm old school from before much in the way of stomp boxes and we figured other ways between amp, guitar and technique to get a bit more growl and sustain that went forever thanks to a straight-up volume pedal that also could manage attack.

I dunno what you're trying to get beyond what was on the "my link," but at least on my speakers, I wasn't hearing anything that was much beyond what could be done with the guitar, amp and settings on the two.

Nice guitar, doggone nice pickin'.

m

+1

Archived