Gibson Brands Forums

I think that I need a Les Paul but not sure which one.

Les Pauler

I am new to playing guitar (since Christmas) and have a Washburn Acoustic, my Epi Wildkat and think that I need a Les Paul. I have been considering Standard Plus Top Pro. Is there other models that you would suggest that I consider?

I do woodworking for a living and gunsmithing on the side. That being the case, I am a sucker for pretty grained lumber. I love the look of the Gibson Les Pauls but can't justify dropping a couple of grand on one when I have such a long list of things to learn yet to develop an ear for "quality" tone.

My wife says that I should just play my Wildkat and my Washburn and save my money for lessons. She is probably right, but where is the fun in that? [rolleyes]

Jay

<grain of salt>

The best Epi LPs aren't that much less expensive than LPJs or a used Studio. The wood might be prettier on an Epi in this price range, but is likely to be veneer.

</grain of salt>

If you are wanting to go with a solid body and you like beautiful wood, I suggest the Fender Stratocaster Select.

Clicky

The maple flame is to die for, and the "bound" necks are very unique. These guitars are only made for one year.

I'm not a fan of the bent saddles, so I'm still debating on buying the Select or ordering a Custom Shop Select with the Ultra bridge.

Welcome to the forum. I cant say what is best as I am also new to playing guitar as of Nov. started with an Acoustic / Electric (not epip) with amp pakage.

When I was looking for the A/E I came across an electric Epip Ultra with black quilt top and loved the way the grain popped. Well could not hold back and 2 weeks ago I bought a used one and happy I did.

I also just bought an Amplug AC30 for the Ultra so I could play it without others hearing how bad I am at this time. I tried to use the A/E amp and it did not work well with headphones and not much better without them.

As I was told by others if you like the looks you will play it more, more playing leads to better playing or so they say. Now to get my chores done so I can pick up my Ultra, may even go out on the deck and enjoy the sun.

I say if you like it go for it and Enjoy.

Dave ----

I think I prefer the perimeter burst ... but I'm not 100% sure.

And then there's the question of Cherry Sunburst, Honeyburst and Iced Tea Burst...

(but then.. quilted, flame or plain maple?)

..but then there's Goldtop...and there's Black with aged binding and hardward...

I think this may be why I might never own an LP - I'd want the perfect combination yet never be able to figure out what that is. [confused]

It would definitely be a Standard though!! ...unless it was a Traditional..

EpiWeb_Tribute800x620_zps5b5d4899.jpg

[thumbup]

Can confirm that. The best Les Paul for the money. I found out why rather quickly and still keep on doing so. Mine is featuring the pictured Faded Cherryburst finish, and I wouldn't part with her. She is the best complement for the five Gibson Les Paul guitars of mine. [thumbup]

That faded cherry on the Epiphone page is awsome. Does Epiphone do different colors with the change of the model year?

Jay

According to this site:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

they should also come in Black Cherry, Midnight Ebony, Midnight Sapphire and Vintage Sunburst. The latter has a darkback, all the others are entirely translucent. I think they offered these colours from the start to present.

I recently purchased a 1960 Tribute Plus in Midnight Ebony and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone considering a Les Paul.

Thanks for the endorsement! I will try to slip out tomorrow and see if Guitar Center has one to look at. I think that all the colors are pretty sharp but I am partial to that Faded Cherry.

I like fiddle back grain. I know that this is a guitar board but if you check the link you will see an example of what I like to see in wood. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/kentdep/100_0740.jpg

I bought the rifle mainly for the stock on it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/kentdep/100_0738.jpg

Here is one that I re-stocked.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/kentdep/100_1396.jpg

Anyway, I am a wood worker who likes nice wood on anything that I use. Can't Help it I guess...

Jay

I got to do an A-B compairison last night between a Tribute and a Standard Plus Top Pro. I have to say that the Pro sounded great but the Tribute had a better, fuller sound. The Gibson pickups are better to my ears.

The shop that had the Tribute had the Black Cherry color. The didn't have other colors on hand to check out. It was a 2013. Model and was still at the. $599 price from last year. Do you guys think the strap locks are worth the extra $100?

Jay

I got to do an A-B compairison last night between a Tribute and a Standard Plus Top Pro. I have to say that the Pro sounded great but the Tribute had a better, fuller sound. The Gibson pickups are better to my ears.

The shop that had the Tribute had the Black Cherry color. The didn't have other colors on hand to check out. It was a 2013. Model and was still at the. $599 price from last year. Do you guys think the strap locks are worth the extra $100?

Jay

The Tributes also have the deeper - set neck, Switchcraft switches and jacks. They are killer guitars, and I flagellate myself daily for ever selling mine!...another will eventually slide into its former spot in the rack, though. dry.gif

Jay

That Tribute is a stunning guitar, for sure!

Strap locks are nice. They make attaching the strap easier for the most part (I always worry about banging the guitar with the loose strap end). They aren't, in my opinion, worth $100.00, until your strap comes off because you didn't have them!

That being said, if they're charging 100 bucks for them, I'd get them elsewhere. I recently bought a gold set of Schallers for less than $40.00 (all my others are chrome and cost even less).

Strap locks are pretty easy to install.

Thank you guys for your advice!

I found out that the older tributes did have the strap locks. I ended up with this one. It was a last years model. I really do like the color. I am not sure if I would like the faded cherry color or not but after seeing this one and finding out that the dealer would have to order a 2014 model, which would be a hundred dollars more, I decided that I would be real happy to take this one home.

IMAG0216_zpstyjhllda.jpg

Jay

Archived